Author Topic: "New and improved" anemometer from Davis  (Read 14805 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: "New and improved" anemometer from Davis
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
BigOkie, the pdf file that RainmanWeather posted a link to states that the serial number for the older design may start with a single letter...

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/diagrams/07396-101_ID.pdf

The pdf is shows what to look for....serial number, vane shaft design.  The housing around the van shaft appears to be something you can use to differentiate between the two styles...they show pictures of the two styles but don't mention them in the pdf.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
It is straightforward: Mfg Code starting AF or AJ forwards (AK, AL etc) should be the new style anemometer. Anything else is old style.

Mfg Codes prior to AA (mid-2012) started with a single letter and, as an approximate guide - there were exceptions, the next two digits designate the year of manufacture.

Mfg Code is on:

1. The outer box;
2. Label on the back of the console;
3. Label on the INNER cover of the SIM compartment;

[2] and [3] should typically agree with one another but there are occasional exceptions.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
I got my VP2 a few days ago. The new anemometer was in the box. It is VERY nice! Pretty heavy and well made.

I also picked up a logger for $115 - the newest model. I hooked it all up USB but am second-guessing my decision. It drops out constantly when doing RAPID FIRE on Wunderground. Davis suggests #1. Unplugging the console and running it on batteries, or hanging a magnet around it. The cable is EL CHEAPO but what can ya do? Has anyone else had this RAPID FIRE update problem? How did you correct it?
"Just an Old-fashioned Love Song"

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »
My opinion that the USB drivers are flakey.  If you did not do so go back and set the console up to serial mode and I bet it works.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
... I hooked it all up USB but am second-guessing my decision. It drops out constantly when doing RAPID FIRE on Wunderground.

...Has anyone else had this RAPID FIRE update problem? How did you correct it?

Question - do you have a real reason for doing RAPID FIRE other than "it's neat to do that"?

In my personal opinion, there's a reason that the "other mode" is called NORMAL.

Some folks do have a real need to do it - and I appreciate that.  But if you don't, then perhaps not doing it would help solve your problem.

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 06:44:09 PM »
Beaudog & Dalecoy,

Thanks for the replies. I am making the switch back to SERIAL.

Dalecoy - no reason whatsoever except that I can do it and I like the way it looks. Good gosh, man! I spent hundreds on my toy. Let me play with it MY way. (Besides, I will get tired of looking at the graphics soon enough!) lol
"Just an Old-fashioned Love Song"

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
Well I agree with Dalecoy    there is simply very few reasons to send weather data every 5 seconds.  And very few hobby systems are anywhere close to being that accurate

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 02:03:51 AM »
I'm not familiar with Weather Link's Wunderground feature but 3rd party programs such as Weather display and Cumulus don't seem to have that problem.

In my opinion Rapid Fire is a great feature that Wunderground has. I find it most useful during strong cold fronts. Seeing what happens as it happens. To me the "normal" stations are a chore to watch when severe weather strikes.

Another thing about Rapid fire, most of the public probably likes the live data feeds. Wunderground's one of the only big sites that have live data like that. People like knowing what's happening as it happens. At least that's the way I look at it.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 02:17:37 AM »
Question - do you have a real reason for doing RAPID FIRE other than "it's neat to do that"?

In my instance, I have three different types of stations, and all three have different update rates.  Rapid fire helps to compare the differences in update rates.  If they only updated every five minutes, there wouldn't be much of a difference between them.  However, when the Davis is updating every few seconds, and the LaCrosse is updating every minute or so, and the OS somewhere in between, that's easy to see on the rapid fire when the gauges are all together on the page.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »

... no reason whatsoever except that I can do it and I like the way it looks. Good gosh, man! I spent hundreds on my toy. Let me play with it MY way.  lol
=D>  :lol:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
Dalecoy - no reason whatsoever except that I can do it and I like the way it looks. Good gosh, man! I spent hundreds on my toy. Let me play with it MY way.

OK, you're playing with it, and it drops out.     :-)

Seriously, of course that's fine with me.  You have every right to play with Rapid Fire.

The reason that I asked was to determine whether your problem was serious (important need to do Rapid Fire, so important to try help to solve the problem), or casual (just watch for developments). 

I apologize if my question annoyed anyone.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
...I apologize if my question annoyed anyone.
Oh, I don't think that was the case at all, Dalecoy... Greg's working hard behind the scenes to figure his new stuff out, and, like me, has a dry sense of humor... . ;)

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 03:19:18 AM »
Oh, I don't think that was the case at all, Dalecoy... Greg's working hard behind the scenes to figure his new stuff out, and, like me, has a dry sense of humor... . ;)

~ Throws a bucket of water to quench the dry sense of humor....~  :twisted:

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 06:23:33 AM »

~ Throws a bucket of water to quench the dry sense of humor....~  :twisted:
Should we issue a flash flood warning, or just a watch? Be specific. What volume bucket? Gallons or liters?  :?: 

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »
Should we issue a flash flood warning, or just a watch? Be specific. What volume bucket? Gallons or liters?  :?: 
[/quote]

An Advisory should be ample.  5 Gallon Bucket, filled, thrown, re-filled then re-thrown as often as required.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline GeoAir.pt

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 07:29:29 AM »
Hi,
AFAIU the new wind vane has the part number 7906L, however the new anemometer has new other design improvements like the "d-shaped shaft".
Is it possible to buy whole anemometer set (wind vane, anemometer head and even the anemometer arm)?
While the new wind vane is only compatible with newer VP2 ISS, acquiring a new anemometer would be compatible with all VP2?
I must admit I'm a bit confused...
Thanks.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »
No need to be confused.

The revised anemometer as a whole is still part number 6410. The only external difference is that it now comes in a slimmer box, more like the WMII 7911 anemometer, so it's easy to tell old-style stock from new, even though the part number has not changed. And it is fully compatible with all previous VP1 and VP2 stations.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline GeoAir.pt

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »
Thank you for clarifying this for me.
Regards.

Offline knarfm

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 07:47:22 AM »
Sailboat anemometer from Smarthome looks similar.
http://www.smarthome.com/47561/SailTimer-Wind-Vane-Bluetooth/p.aspx

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »
Sailboat anemometer from Smarthome looks similar.
http://www.smarthome.com/47561/SailTimer-Wind-Vane-Bluetooth/p.aspx

That appears to be a 7911 Anemometer for Weather Monitor or Wizard with the straight shaft that they are using there. Nice use of a Davis anemometer, but according to their web page here: SailTimer Wind Vane it is discontinued and they are working on a new version which will use different hardware.