Author Topic: Snow is comming  (Read 7126 times)

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
Snow is comming
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:57:56 PM »

Snow report for Sun. 11-30-08 for Illinois.

The first accumulating snow of the season is expected across central and southeast Illinois on Sunday.   A weak and unorganized area of low pressure located along the Missouri River Valley as of Saturday morning will re-organize and intensify as it tracks northeast through the lower Great Lakes on Sunday.  The system is expected to strengthen due to potent jet stream winds diving into the center of the country, and an intensifying mid level disturbance catching up with the surface low.  A few factors will limit snow accumulations, including a lack of moisture and strong forcing, as well as surface temperatures near to above freezing for much of the event.

Precipitation is expected to overspread central and southeast Illinois from the west Saturday night.  This should begin as a period of light rain before evaporative cooling allows the atmosphere to cool below freezing.  The changeover to snow should occur during the early morning hours on Sunday.  An extended period of light to occasionally moderate snow is expected from Sunday morning, on and off through the day, and into Sunday night.  Surface temperatures will largely determine how much snow will accumulate, and with near-surface soil temperatures in the mid-30s, accumulations may be limited to grassy and elevated surfaces during the daylight hours.  Northwest winds will bring cooler air in by Sunday evening, allowing more snow to stick.  By time the system moves out midday Monday, 2-4" totals are possible north of I-70, with highest amounts north of the I-72 corridor.  Areas south of I-70 will be closer to the "dry slot" of the system limiting amounts, and with slightly warmer temperatures, accumulations up to an inch or two are possible.

Plug in em rain colloctor heaters.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :grin:

[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
Re: Snow is comming
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:57:14 PM »
Plug in em rain colloctor heaters.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :grin:

Already done. Have been using mine for over a month now.  ;)
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »
Looks like you got your snow. What a beautiful scene. Sure wish I had scenery like that to point my web cam at.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »

Here in south central Michigan we're in a winter storm warning until 4:00PM Monday. Expecting a total of 8-10 inches. It's coming down thick already...huge clumps of flakes and accumulating quickly. (I don't have a heater, he says sheepishly.)

This fall began just as it did last year--early cold and an early heavy snow.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »
Nothing here yet.  Little sprinkle just after midnight.
temp has only varied about 4 degrees all day.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »
Nothing here but rain and drizzle so far.

razzlefrazzenfrickenmumblemumblemumble :-#
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 08:19:15 PM »
I got a whole inch since 4pm this afternoon.

Tim
www.localareaweather.com

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 08:20:14 PM »

Nothing here but rain and drizzle so far.

razzlefrazzenfrickenmumblemumblemumble :-#

Mark:

If you come shovel my snow, you can keep it. Really! Pleeeeease? [-o< :mrgreen:

EDIT:  See my banner, Mark? It's showing snow!
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »

I got a whole inch since 4pm this afternoon.

Tim
www.localareaweather.com

Three inches so far here, Tim. Huge flakes coming down again. I don't know how much of if melted, though. No wind yet...that's supposed to come tomorrow.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 08:43:48 PM »
....Mark:

I try to avoid that manual form of snow removal but now if instead you have something that goes vrooomm with a heated snow cab I might be interested.   :lol:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 08:51:55 PM »

....Mark:

I try to avoid that manual form of snow removal but now if instead you have something that goes vrooomm with a heated snow cab I might be interested.   :lol:

He he! And it must be green, right? ;)
Mae govannen!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
He he! And it must be green, right? ;)

If it comes down to between shoveling a large area or blowing I turn "polytractoral"* to use a word from a local fellow I knew that preferred IH Cubs.

(*In other words any color will be acceptable.  :lol:)

I don't actually have a drive big enough to warrant the $$$ for a snow blower attachment here.  Instead I have a 20 year old Parmi Lazy Boy with a 3 Hp. Briggs I use.  It's not self propelled either but still much better then shoveling.  I do have an old plow blade I picked up for $20 years ago that I used on the old Jacobsen rider but have never got around to (after 6 years) modifying it to fit the Deere.  One of these days I'll get it done.  That's one little project for which I'm trying to talk myself into (use as an excuse) for spending the money to purchase an arc welder to complete.   :grin:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:18:10 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »
Just rain (0.36") here yesterday (11/30). Snow expected today, 1 to 2 and an additional 1 to 3 tonight.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 08:59:48 AM »
Knoxville, TN had thundersleet last night.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=70303&catid=2

So far, south of there, it's just wet, windy and cold.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:02 AM »
We were under a heavy snowfall warning.  but the demarcation line moved north quite a bit during the forecast period, so we ended up getting a lot more as rain vs snow.  Initial forecast was 4-6inch, then 6-12inch, then 2-3inch.... back to 6-12.....

When I went to bed we had 2-3 inches of very wet snow.  when I woke up at 5am it was pouring rain, the snow depth was still about 2-3 inches but no foot steps, so we probably got another 2 inches overnight, but the rain compacted it.

heaviest slush I have ever attempted to move.  my blower probably would not touch it (old and thrower could use a tune up)   So I just did the walkways by hand and the burm the snow plow left.  The plow remnants was only 12 inches, but took 10 minutes to dig out because I could only do half shovel fulls...

There are going to be alot of thrown out backs, and heart attacks today....

Andrew

ps; this was our third round of significant snow. each one about 3-5 inches melted within a few days, lots of dustings each night.  Even though its well over 100 miles away, we get mild lake effect from Lake Huron, and Georgian bay if the wind and temp is just right...

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 11:43:02 AM »
Just rain (0.36") here yesterday (11/30). Snow expected today, 1 to 2 and an additional 1 to 3 tonight.

Same here east of you,  Our Winter weather advisory/wintery mix turned into .55 inches of rain.   :sad: :sad:Bummer of a day, and I had to drive in it, so lots of dirt and water spots on my Black in color batmobile.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »
Well, it looks like the Cumberland Plateau has once again saved East Tennessee from the white menace.  I saw some flurries today and it stuck to the grass for about an hour, then it was gone.  Whew!  I don't look for any real snow until March when everything has started blooming.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »
We had light snow showers most all day but then temps just now went down cold enough for it to actually stick.  Black ice from the wet roads freezing will be the biggest problem here.
Mark 

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11:19 PM »

The nearest METAR shows that we received a little more than 4 inches total. I think we got 5" at my house. Most schools closed today. The temp was around 32-33F throughout the span of the storm, so I don't know how much of it melted that wasn't measurable. It was sure a mucky mess to shovel.

It's been snowing all this evening, too, and it was darn slick on the road driving home from work. Over a stretch of 5 miles on the freeway I saw 4 vehicles in the ditch and 3 tow trucks.

The METAR shows that we've already received 12.2 inches this season. The normal to this date is only 4.1.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 02:51:08 PM »
Our snow came during the overnite hours. I awoke this morning to what looked to be about 2 inches. Have had on and off snow showers today. But have had little to no additional accumulation.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 05:03:38 PM »
  What snow? Have to see the first flake yet here in SE Alaska. We have had 17.14 inches of rain for november and the nice thing about it is I don't have to shovel it.

Cheers

John
KL7IFP

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 07:02:09 PM »
Must be nice...NWS of Gaylord just issued a winter storm watch for nw lower MI for 1'-2' by Fri. morning.
Oh ya...not

Tim

anything