Author Topic: What to buy - noob questions  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Stickymatch

What to buy - noob questions
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
Longtime lurker, just registered.  I want a weather station for monitoring and pumping data to WU as this is my start into yet another hobby :). I've read quite a few threads but couldn't really get the answer I was looking for given the below:

I was looking at the LaCrosse C84612 and using Skydvrz's SkySpy software.  I understand this isn't necessarily the most accurate or best equipment, but I'm not really concerned with being 100% accurate, just close so there's some validity in the data.  Also, the price point is appealing.

I've also been looking at the Davis units but can't really afford to drop around $1k at this time for a unit and the necessary equip to pump to WU...unless I'm not looking at the right stuff.

Furthermore, my subdivision doesn't really advocate installing poles to mount equipment.  Mounting on my chimney would be the best spot for an anemometer as it's the highest point given I have a hip roof, but the heat is obviously a concern, plus access for maintenance would be a chore...roof is pretty steep.  Therefore, I'm relegated to mounting to my guttering but the roof would block true wind speed, etc.  I could mount a 5-6ft pole in my landscaping but there would be either blue spruces in close proximity or the side of my house.  In other words, there really isn't an ideal place other than smack dab in the front or back yard...which isn't feasible.

Given the constraints, I'd hate to spend the money for a Davis unit and really only be able to achieve the same accuracy as a lower priced unit, ie C84612, given said limitations.  I'd also like to stick around the $400 price point as well.

Am I doomed before I start or is there any suggestions?

Any info is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: What to buy - noob questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:42:38 PM »
The Davis Vue and Weatherlink datalogger will put you just over the $400 cost, and that is all you would need to send to WU, CWOP and maybe others as well.
Ideal or best possible placement will still be an issue.
Enjoy,
Paul

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:37:29 AM »
I agree with Paul, you can get a Davis Vantage Vue and logger for $400 or so. The other variable you may want to consider is whether you want to upload your data to the Internet aside from WU (CWOP, PWS Weatherbug, etc.). Also, do you want local data storage by running the WeatherLink software or some third party software like Cumulus, Weather Display, etc.? The other option would be to get a meteobridge. Just some other things to consider. There are many options to help meet your wants/needs!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:40:05 AM by alexstaar »
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »
I also find Ambient Weather's Observer Series Weather Station to be a pretty decent set up for the price. Its all-in-one unit is similar to Davis's Vue, but it is a bit cheaper in price depending on the package you get. I believe it is a relatively new line where as the Vue has been around since ~2007(?). Here are the different "packages" they offer on their website: http://www.ambientweather.com/observer.html.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline booooocars

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:19:54 AM »
Just bought a bunch of stuff from a government auction want to sell am i in the right place climatronics all in one weather sensors precipitation gauge and much more can anyone help

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:52:48 AM »
I would recommend posting a new topic under For Sale/Wanted here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=79.0
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue