Author Topic: 2315 weather station anemometer readings  (Read 4949 times)

Offline scott

2315 weather station anemometer readings
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »
I had a 3.23 inch rain last night, and then my 2315 weather station went down only on the wind direction and speed.  I replaced all batteries and spun the anemometer with a cane pole and the station was back up and running.  Now it went down again, but only the anemometer readings are down.  The outside temperature and rain is being reported. What should I do?  :-(

Offline scott

Re: 2315 weather station anemometer readings
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
Well, I took down the anemometer, took it apart, sprayed some lubricant which mostly disbursed any moisture in it, put it back together, reconnected the bell wires making sure I had good contacts and for the moment I am back up and running.....keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!  \:D/

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
Hi Scott. I added a small square piece of metal tape over the wind vane screw plug on top. Just an added measure to prevent any water from getting down in the screw well. Metal tape to avoid the sun drying it out and makes it easy to remove in the future if need be. You may also want to look closely at the points where the screws hold the top and bottom halves together for hair-line fractures. These fractures may not be visible unless the screws are in place and pulling the halves together. RTV/silicone over any you find.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:46:04 PM by DanS »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
Buy a new station. Seriously. I'm so fed up with my La Crosse I'm about to toss it out my second floor office window. Nice looking units but that doesn't mean jack when it comes to reliability!

La Crosse also apparently doesn't give a hoot about their customers needs. I've written them not once, twice but thrice regarding the recorded high wind gust issue! Got a basic reply the first time, a brief personal reply the second time, and NOTHING the third time! I also have Maximum weather instruments and Rainwise Weather Oracle MK III. I went as far as telling the guy who responded to me that if they didn't listen to their customers needs that one day they'd be out of business for a lack of reliable customer service. If you have the $$$ look at those other two stations I mentioned. Fine pieces of equipment!

Don in Ohio

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
Or a Davis if you have the money.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »
Or a Davis if you have the money.

Agreed!!!!  =D>

Offline scott

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »
I just might upgrade 1 day, but I have had this unit running for about 5 years now. I also did the 8 second modification in wireless mode......

To Dan: Good to hear from you, I will touch it up with some silicone RTV sealant.....The Texas sun is hard on plastic.....Thanks again!!!!!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
I just might upgrade 1 day, but I have had this unit running for about 5 years now. I also did the 8 second modification in wireless mode......

To Dan: Good to hear from you, I will touch it up with some silicone RTV sealant.....The Texas sun is hard on plastic.....Thanks again!!!!!

Hi Scott. Yes, that 'Texas sun' is shared over here too with our Thailand sun. It's merciless on exposed plastics. My WS-2310 has been sitting in it going on 7 years now and doing well but did notice a couple of those tiny fractures I mentioned. Those combined with a torrential downpour can invite moisture seepage. ;) Be careful up there!
Dan

Offline scott

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »
Hi Dan, I looked up Thailand's average weather and yes you are much closer to the equator.....tropical with almost 60 inches of rain, WOW......we are in a drought and the 3 inches of rain were a gift from heaven!!!!!!  :-)

anything