Author Topic: 23XX and Powering off...  (Read 2885 times)

Offline McFlyfi

23XX and Powering off...
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
I have a station at a remote cabin. I think it's a 2316 or 2317. I am updating hourly by dial up, using WUHU and VWS internet edition to upload to my website once an hour betwen 8am and 10 pm. The computer runs 24-7.
On Feb 9, the system appeared to stop updating. The computer is functioning, as I also have two webcams uploading once an hour as well. The operation of the webcams has not been impacted. I have 2 scheduled re-boots during the 24 hour period each day- 7:15 AM and 1:30 pm. The re-boots did not affect the uploading of the weather station.

Today, at the 4:00 scheduled update, there it was! For the first time in 2+days. The graphs, and the monthly tabs for daily hi/lo etc appear to be intact-even though there was no internet update for 2+ days. I won't be able to check the system for a week, as it is 200 miles away.

Aside from the "Magic" of the station coming back up, my question:
Can I schedule a shutdown of the computer, and a restart the following morning, will the weather station communicate the "missed" data points to the computer and WUHU/VWS? The data that would normally have been collected by the computer as it was running all night?
I only ask because it appears that the data that was "lost" by the unresponsive station, is in fact contained on the graphs on the site.
Have a look:

http://www.blackdiamondtrout.com/weather/wx.htm
There are no drop outs or missed data in the graphs. If I could shut the computer off for 12+hours per day, but keep the data when it starts up again, that would really save me some cash on the operation.

Offline utahweatherbear

• Senior Contributor
    • Weatherbear's World
Re: 23XX and Powering off...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:45:57 PM »
Not sure about your main question, but the first thing I would do the second I got to the cabin would be to download and install LOGMEIN on that computer!  :shock:

https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/free/

I use the free version, and I couldn't live without it. It allows you to logon remotely to your pc from anywhere, and do things like reboot, restart programs, or whatever you need to do, as if you were right in front of your remote computer. I know there are several programs like LOGMEIN out there, but I've found this to be the most stable, SECURE, and reliable that I've used. You can also get the paid version which allows other things like remote printing and file exchange. Not something I need, I use it to tweak WUHU and my cameras when I'm not home.  :grin:

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:12:10 PM »

I am not sure how you have things rigged but WUHU will read the logger and upload the data if you are using direct serial mode.

Offline McFlyfi

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »

I am not sure how you have things rigged but WUHU will read the logger and upload the data if you are using direct serial mode.

Yes, using direct serial mode.
The weather isn't that interesting there in the spring/summer, and I have a planned computer upgrade for this Spring (switching the desktop for a laptop to run the system). I will be experimenting then. I think it may work, if what I'm seeing now is really happening.

To utahweatherbear:
Thanks for the tip. Dial up is the limiting factor- I looked at logmein, but it seems that the computer must be a)turned on (not a problem), and b) connected to the 'net. All I can get is dial up, so unless I scheduled a time to do regular maintenance, I think that's out. I'll look around for another utility, I know the modem/system can take incoming calls, I'm not sure I have the skill set to set up and maintain that.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 02:17:19 AM »
To utahweatherbear:
Thanks for the tip. Dial up is the limiting factor- I looked at logmein, but it seems that the computer must be a)turned on (not a problem), and b) connected to the 'net. All I can get is dial up, so unless I scheduled a time to do regular maintenance, I think that's out. I'll look around for another utility, I know the modem/system can take incoming calls, I'm not sure I have the skill set to set up and maintain that.

I tried logmein using dialup, and it works.  However, it's about as fast as molasses at -10F.  Took forever for each command to function.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA