Author Topic: Boltek differences?  (Read 9381 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Boltek differences?
« on: January 04, 2008, 01:25:36 AM »
What are the differences between the PCI and the LD-250 version?

I'm reading the "promo" for each and seems like the LD-250 being a stand-alone is the main thing, no?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
    • http://www.wmiler.org/
Re: Boltek differences?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »
Well, the LD250 is standalone, but for whatever reason, it can't tell the difference between the different types of lightning. Which is a real shame.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 05:41:34 PM »
So are you saying that the PCI version can?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:57:46 PM »
Yes.

So, unless you plan on tracking lightning while storm chasing, get the PCI card. Otherwise, you are spending good money and getting a less functional piece of equipment.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
Yes.

So, unless you plan on tracking lightning while storm chasing, get the PCI card. Otherwise, you are spending good money and getting a less functional piece of equipment.

That would be me, YAY!
Except in my case, at that time I wasn't willing to have an icky 'PC' in my Mac home :)

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 10:35:05 PM »
Yes.

That would be me, YAY!
Except in my case, at that time I wasn't willing to have an icky 'PC' in my Mac home :)

LOL

I feel your pain. I don't do "Fruit" around here.   ;)

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:49:16 AM »
Yes.

Bob
Fascinating. I would've thought the other way around but after reading a little more, I can see the price diff with all the other bells and whistles like a GPS port, internal logging, etc.

So, in short, the PCI version allows for all the same type of mappings and software capabilities and is pretty much what desktop viewers of the storm would want, huh...

I live in a pretty active lightning storm area so I'm also wondering about the accuracy and the mountains (9k ft) 20 miles or so to my east. Much ghosting with the Boltec?

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »
I live in a pretty active lightning storm area so I'm also wondering about the accuracy and the mountains (9k ft) 20 miles or so to my east. Much ghosting with the Boltec?

I've been running a Boltek PCI with Astrogenic's NexStorm software for some time here in Las Vegas.  We are surrounded by mountains, with the Spring Mountains and Mt. Charleston@11,918 feet about 40 miles to the west, Frenchman Mountain@4,052 feet approx. 8 miles to the northeast and Black Mountain@5,092 feet roughly 15 miles to the southeast.  During the North American Monsoon season we see considerable lightning.  Although there are occasional reflections, the Boltek/NexStorm combination does an excellent job.

As far as accuracy, calibrating the system is key.  Two things to remember...it will take time and plenty of patience!
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:27:50 PM »

I've been running a Boltek PCI with Astrogenic's NexStorm software for some time here in Las Vegas.  We are surrounded by mountains, with the Spring Mountains and Mt. Charleston@11,918 feet about 40 miles to the west, Frenchman Mountain@4,052 feet approx. 8 miles to the northeast and Black Mountain@5,092 feet roughly 15 miles to the southeast.  During the North American Monsoon season we see considerable lightning.  Although there are occasional reflections, the Boltek/NexStorm combination does an excellent job.

As far as accuracy, calibrating the system is key.  Two things to remember...it will take time and plenty of patience!
Thanks NeonDesert - I should've thought to ask you direct. I just moved (2 years ago) from Las Vegas after 25 years so I know the geography and those great lightning storms. If you have little problems in that area then I would think I would have even less out here. Great - now I get to spend more money...  \:D/

All I wanted to do was see much actual rainfall I had in my yard and maybe check a gust or two now and then. You guys are killing me!

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »
All I wanted to do was see much actual rainfall I had in my yard and maybe check a gust or two now and then. You guys are killing me!
Just wait until you start adding webcams ;)
The good ones run much more than $200.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »

I've already dabbled with that. After bringing home one or two $100+ units from the local BestBuy, I brought them right back, knowing full well that they weren't going to cut it for me. Seems like the ones I see on member's sites that I like the view from run in the $800+ range...

I forget who it was, but one member has the critter cams and such. Very cool views but being I have no deer at my location, I imagine having them imported will cost a few bucks as well.

Woe is me...

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »

I've already dabbled with that. After bringing home one or two $100+ units from the local BestBuy, I brought them right back, knowing full well that they weren't going to cut it for me. Seems like the ones I see on member's sites that I like the view from run in the $800+ range...

I forget who it was, but one member has the critter cams and such. Very cool views but being I have no deer at my location, I imagine having them imported will cost a few bucks as well.

Woe is me...

For a hundred bucks this is a superb cam.  :grin:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/webcams/devices/3055&cl=us,en

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 01:18:23 AM »
I have to admit that the local BB didn't have a very big selection when I went. Maybe I'll give one of those a shot.

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 11:25:52 AM »
FWIW, I asked the same question (What's the diff?) directly to Boltek. Their answer agrees with the comments already posted - stay-at-home, get the PCI (also yuck - I, too, am a Mac guy!), storm-chaser, get the stand-alone unit.

Jeez - more $$ on the roof!
John
W7JKG

blackjack52

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »
Yeah, but it's cool!

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »
Cool, true. But getting more difficult to keep up with...
John
W7JKG

anything