Author Topic: Midland WR-300 high pitched squeal on all weather channels  (Read 33485 times)

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
Midland WR-300 high pitched squeal on all weather channels
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
After 1.5 yrs of good service, my radio now makes a high pitched squeal on all weather channels.  Everything else works fine.  Anyone else have this problem?  I can't believe (according to the back of the manual) that Midland charges a flat 45 buck repair fee PLUS a 7.50 return shipping fee PLUS the cost of sending it back to them!  This far exceeds the cost of a new unit via Amazon.com (about 48 bucks, free shipping).  I wrote an email to Midland bemoaning this, but am not holding out a lot of hope they offer a more reasonable solution.
If they don't budge, can anyone offer a suggestion for a competitor model with similar features?  I'll repost if and when Midland responds to my email.  I'm really getting sick of this disposable consumable mentality that has evolved in my lifetime. :evil:

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
Re: Midland WR-300 high pitched squeal on all weather channels
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »
The reply from Midland customer service:
Thank you for contacting us.

The radio has a year warranty through us if it is not under warranty we charge a 45.00 fee for us to replace it since we do not repair the radios. If you only hear a high pitch tone on all the channels it seems like there is a problem with the radio normally when you are picking up a bad signal you will hear something like static.
My reply to that:
Thanks for your prompt response.  Wow, it doesn't sound like Midland expects it's products to last much longer than a year.  I'll be sharing that with the thousands of other potential weather radio buyers that typically research this product at Wxforum, Amazon, etc. etc.  I'll be replacing the radio.  With a Reecom brand product.  I'm sort of glad this radio failed when it did.  I almost bought ANOTHER Midland product (portable weather radio).  Then I would have been stuck with TWO bricks down the road!

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
UPDATE:  Midland customer service manager emailed me today very concerned about this failure.  Offered to send me another one at no charge despite being out of warranty a short time.  I will have to give kudos to Midland, they stand behind their equipment.  Guess I won't be switching brands for awhile. =D>

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »
I checked my WR-300 yesterday when it did not alert for a thunderstorm warning and it is doing the EXACT same thing... high pitched squeal on the weather channels. It sounds like a feedback loop. #-o Mine is about the same age as yours.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
You are not alone.  I heard of many others at the Amazon.com reviews saying same thing.  All I can say is squeaky wheel gets the grease!  Write to the customer service MANAGER at Midland.  Don't bother with a rep, they will just tell you that you need to buy a new radio basically.  Good luck.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:05:40 PM »
You are not alone.  I heard of many others at the Amazon.com reviews saying same thing.  All I can say is squeaky wheel gets the grease!  Write to the customer service MANAGER at Midland.  Don't bother with a rep, they will just tell you that you need to buy a new radio basically.  Good luck.

Interesting...I've had mine now almost two years with zero problems.  Wonder if they bulid a bad batch or had some bad components...
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Thunderbolt

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:42:52 AM »
I heard from a reliable source, that Midland plans on replacing the WR-300 with a new version, possibly the WR-330 by this time next year. Several people that I know who have bought these radios, are complaining about the same problem with a high pitch squeal on all channels after they have been in use for over a year. They just decided to replace them with First Alert or Reecom models, since the price of repairing the radio was on par with a new replacement unit.

I have an old Midland three-channel weather alert radio that I bought back in 1989, which still works very well. The only reason I never use it anymore, is because it uses the 1050 Hz tone, rather than the newer SAME technology. There was nothing I hated worse than being awakened at 3:00 a.m. for a Special Marine Warning on Lake Huron, which is 150 kilometers away from where I live. Thankfully, I don't have to go through that anymore.

Yours truly,

Ron

Offline 8-Bits

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 03:24:12 PM »
After about 2 years the NOAA radio and alerts stopped receiving while standard AM/FM works just fine.  As others have stated this seems to be a common flaw in an otherwise excellent product.

I just replaced the Midland with a Sangean CL-100.

John

Offline dandrzejewski

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »
Question: When the WR-300 exhibits this behavior and stops receiving alerts, does it at least display the "Check Signal" message on the screen to indicate that something might be wrong?

Offline mommyfixit

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »
I have the same one, and it recently started doing the same thing. It is a few years old, so I am guessing I will need to get a new one. :-(
I won the first one from a drawing at our weather station's open house, so I guess I can't complain too much...

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »
This is clearly a case of substandard component use resulting in premature failure.  Can't believe a company like Midland hasn't changed component vendors or specifications to safeguard their reputation.  The reviews at Amazon are chock full of identical failures.  For it's 45 dollar price, it is a good unit otherwise.  But if has such crappy longevity, it's not worth it.  Particularly if your life depends on it working.  Hey Midland, send me to China with an EE, I'll get this taken care of!  How's that Sangean work?  Heard it costs more, but features are a little better.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »
Of the 5 radios I have had, (Midland and OS) only 1 has stood up over time. The first OS radio I bought at a local 'closeout' place is the go-to when all the more expensive, better units crap out. My Midland WR100 only lasted 13 months, it only works now for 'warning' broadcasts. The OS ones, I had fights with the CS people until I told them I was going to report them to the FCC and CPSC. That changed their tone real quick. But, the OS unit they sent to replace a bad one AIN'T much better at all, intermittent at best. GOOD thing I don't live in a real dangerous location.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »
I wonder if my 18 month old Midland that totally quit working altogether is eligible for "good faith" replacement?

I've already moved on to Acu-Rite..  but hey if they'll stand behind their junk and send me a new radio I'll take it.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

anything