Author Topic: My station  (Read 1816 times)

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
My station
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
Here's mine that I cobbled together. I need to get the pole cemented into the ground, but it's sturdy for the moment.
I have it situated above the patio roofline so it gets wind from all directions. I am considering replacing the 2nd pipe with PVC pipe to stop heat transfer, though it doesn't seem to be affecting the sensor at the moment as it is reads the same as many nearby stations.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
Re: My station
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »
Maybe a plastic section could prove hard to fix the station to securely.  It's all new stuff to me.  I have a couple of things that aren't ideal too but it's interesting learning about it all!  It seems hard to find a way to say it without double entendre (so I won't bother) but doesn't a pole of that length wag around a bit?  :mrgreen:  I don't even know if it actually matters, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will. 

My new station is currently rocking slightly where the pole fits up into the unit so some more work needed there.  It's just recorded its biggest gust of 40mph this morning.  :shock:

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
It actually stays pretty steady surprisingly. It does move a little if the ground pole is moved, but that will stop once I get it cemented. We don't get very high wind here usually, highest i've recorded so far has been 10-20 mph. Usually 5 or less.

I intend in the future to actually put it up on the 2nd story eve's fascia, so it will get even better data. When I do that I will have to find a way to make a remote battery pack, probably by just soldering some wires to the battery terminals inside, run some wire back to some project battery holders.
My setup:

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »
Which WS is yours Chris?  It looks just like my WS-1001 clone but mine is wireless (apart from power for the screen).     

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »
WS-1200-IP, I had the 1001 first, but I could not get the Wireless to work. It would connect to my network, but never get an IP. This one did the same, and I found they are harcoding 192.x IP's into these devices, even though they are set for DHCP. My network uses 10.x IP addresses.

They are functionally identical, just the data gets sent to the ObserverIP module instead of directly from the display like the 1001.
My setup:

anything