Author Topic: Air Quality Sensors  (Read 2635 times)

Offline schwab

Re: Air Quality Sensors
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
Your sensor is on the PurpleAir map but “greyed out” with data over 3 hrs old

So it did indeed log data until 3:40pm

I guess I’d verify your router shows it’s IP on your network

Restart everything?

Offline Skywatch

• Weather isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »
Sensor is back up and running. For some reason the last time I configured it our house WiFi didn't save in the sensor. But everything is working for now and hopefully it stays that way.
HARDWARE
Davis VP2+ with leaf/soil, Universal Anemometer Interface to NRG wind speed & direction sensors.
SOFTWARE
WD 10.37S53

Excelvan WH2310 WD 10.37S53

Offline Skywatch

• Weather isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
Since getting my PAII running I've been watching the map closely today and I'm actually becoming fascinated with it. There are several stations to the south of me scattered throughout the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and today we had a light Southeasterly wind and I would watch the AQI from the stations south of me fluctuate and several minutes later mine would show the same fluctuations. I kinda visualize the pollutants as clouds that are driven by the wind.

I also get the impression that the point behind the temperature/humidity and air pressure sensors is to debunk fog and moisture related errors.

All in all I'm really enjoying the PAII. It's fun to watch the numbers change and compare with my weather station's data.
HARDWARE
Davis VP2+ with leaf/soil, Universal Anemometer Interface to NRG wind speed & direction sensors.
SOFTWARE
WD 10.37S53

Excelvan WH2310 WD 10.37S53

Offline bleomycin

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 08:03:51 PM »
I was hoping someone who knows more about how these sensors work could help me. I have my Purpleair sensor installed and it's been working great, but there are active wildfires in my area (Southern California). When outside you can easily smell smoke but my purpleair sensor along with at least 50+ others in the area are all reading below 10 AQI. The aqmd.gov website states "In any area where you can see or smell smoke, everyone should avoid vigorous exertion and limit outdoor exposure."

Why is it that I can smell smoke but all the purpleair units are showing the air is the cleanest it's been all year?

Offline Toxic

• Contributor
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 02:49:39 AM »
Why is it that I can smell smoke but all the purpleair units are showing the air is the cleanest it's been all year?

Because Purpleair sensors are only "Partical" sensors perhaps?
Regards Simon

Offline RXB2

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »

I'll bet it says something about how sensitive the human sense of smell can be. Unless you're immediatly downwind of the fires you could have decent air since there seems to be a lot of air movement at the moment! Here's a Forest Service guide to estimating local air quality based on visibility.  https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/pnw_gtr925.pdf

anything