Author Topic: Anemometer & Vane Tester  (Read 6921 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Anemometer & Vane Tester
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:27:39 PM »
I have designed and produced one prototype of the Anemometer and Vane Tester.  This will be a DIY project.  You can build your own anemometer and vane tester.  The 1st prototype is 2.5 inches by 3.8 inches.  I'm reducing the board size to 1.9" x 2.5" to reduce cost.  I estimate the total parts cost to be less than $30.00.
I have tested it with the reed switch version of anemometer.  I will make this compatible with the Hall sensor version of anemometer.
This tester has 3 functions.  1  It has the wind cable tester circuit that Davis provides.  2  It has an Ohmmeter breakout for measuring the potentiometer and switch closure using your Ohmmeter.  3  It has a circular pattern of LEDS that indicate rotation of the direction vane and a LED that flashes as the cups rotate.
It is self powered by two AA batteries.  It has a cable that plugs into the Davis ISS SIM board wind socket.  It has two connectors that the anemometer/vane plugs into.  You can test your anemometer from the ground where your ISS is located.  You can test an anemometer on your work bench.
I will publish the schematic, parts list and circuit board pattern if you wish to build everything.  I will offer a kit of parts and instructions.  Enjoy,  Al 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:18:01 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
Re: Anemometer & Vane Tester
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 11:21:37 PM »
What a great idea for a project..........I'm interested, love tinkering with electronics, one hobby that gives great satisfaction from seeing a pile of electronics parts transformed (pardon the pun) into something that works and actually has a use.

Nick. DW7240.com

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »
I'm excited that George Wetzel, our Peachtree City, Ga. NWS Observation Program Leader visited my wx station today.  I was able to show off the a/v tester and its flashing LEDS.  He was here when UPS delivered the new Davis anemometer.  It'll be in pieces by the weekend.  I'll take o'scope signal pictures before I destroy the new anemometer.
I plan to check compatibility with the Hall sensor wind speed circuit before I release the a/v tester schematic.  Pictures and data should be ready by the weekend of 11-12 July.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
Very cool project :) It can function as a rough wind direction sensor too :)

I'm eager to see what the new anemometer holds inside!

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 09:05:16 PM »
Success and delay.  I modified the tester to apply 1.25 volts to the anemometer and vane under test.  This tester is compatible with the anemometer and vane that uses a reed switch.  This tester is compatible with the anemometer and vane that uses a Hall sensor.  As we knew, an Ohmmeter can't measure the Hall sensor signal.  However your multimeter set to measure AC millivolts will detect the Hall sensor output.  I'm presenting the device design to an electronics supplier for them to kit the parts including my plans and images.  I'll publish the schematic, parts list, and pictures here next week.  You can then buy the kit or do it all yourself.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:18:26 AM by wxtech »

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:35 PM »
A forum member asked for instructions to build your own wind test/diagnostics cable.  Here is my version.  It uses a 20K Ohm linear potentiometer instead of the two 10K matched resistors in other designs.  The Davis test cable will produce an S reading on the console.  With this pot, you can crank and watch the console respond with N to E to S to W to N.  Repeatedly pressing the push button gives wind speeds up to about 20 mph.  Attached is the schematic and 3 pictures showing the front and back wiring.
Parts:  4 conductor telephone type cable
crimp on connector 6P4C or RJ-14 type (a crimping tool is needed for this connector)
20K linear potentiometer
spst momentary push button switch
The anemometer and vane tester described July 5 - 10 is in the second prototype stage.  Dale is working on this project also.
Al
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:17:38 PM by wxtech »

Offline WXH

• Hoogeloon Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
I have designed and produced one prototype of the Anemometer and Vane Tester.  I asked Dale Reid to partner with me on this project.  This will be a DIY project.  You can build your own anemometer and vane tester.  The 1st prototype is 2.5 inches by 3.8 inches.  I'm reducing the board size to 1.9" x 2.5" to reduce cost.  I estimate the total parts cost to be less than $30.00.
I have tested it with the reed switch version of anemometer.  I will make this compatible with the Hall sensor version of anemometer.
This tester has 3 functions.  1  It has the wind cable tester circuit that Davis provides.  2  It has an Ohmmeter breakout for measuring the potentiometer and switch closure using your Ohmmeter.  3  It has a circular pattern of LEDS that indicate rotation of the direction vane and a LED that flashes as the cups rotate.
It is self powered by two AA batteries.  It has a cable that plugs into the Davis ISS SIM board wind socket.  It has two connectors that the anemometer/vane plugs into.  You can test your anemometer from the ground where your ISS is located.  You can test an anemometer on your work bench.
I will publish the schematic, parts list and circuit board pattern if you wish to build everything.  Maybe Dale or I will offer a kit of parts and instructions.  Enjoy,  Al

Old topic, but still interresting.
Is there still a schematic, parts list and/or circuit board pattern available?
I would like to build this A/V tester and especially the Hall sensor version.

Thanks,
Remie
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus & Weather Wizard III, Hoogeloon Weather
https://www.wxhoogeloon.nl/index.php

Offline WXH

• Hoogeloon Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 02:59:47 AM »
Nobody has this schematic and/or board layout?
I am still interested in this piece of test tooling.

Thanks,

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
I am as well.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
I have two anemometers that DO NOT WORK. Would be willing to donate to the cause.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
I have versions of this project and today I'm clearing my workbench to finish this project.  I'll have the board design with ExpressPCB, parts source, a parts kit, or a completed 3-part anemometer tester.
Al 

Offline WXH

• Hoogeloon Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »
Hello Al,

thanks for you reply and your work.
looking forward to see the results.
Remie

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »
+1
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
PROGRESS REPORT:   This is an update on the anemometer vane tester project.  You should allow me time to build this board design and test it before you invest your time and money on these ideas.
I revisited this project and have completed a better design.  I will start a new topic to be less confusing.
I am posting the schematic and an image of the circuit board attached here.  The circuit board contains two testers to save on cost.   The 'cut here' comment on the circuit board means to use your fine saw and cut the board into 2 identical pieces.  Each piece is a complete av tester.  (av means anemometer vane).
If you prefer, you can copy the schematic into ExpressPCB design application and purchase your own boards from them.  I assume no responsibility for errors or damage caused to anything from using this information.  I will provide a multipage instructions document for building and using the anemometer and vane tester.  This device works on the original reed switch and the newer Hall sensor version of the wind speed circuits.
Good luck building the project.  Al

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Al,

Thanks for all your hard work on this, it will make a nice project for me to do.

All the best for 2018

Ian
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:53:53 PM by Ian. »
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16

Offline WXH

• Hoogeloon Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 02:51:40 AM »
Al, thanks for your work.

Also, all the best for 2018.

Remie

Offline WXH

• Hoogeloon Weather
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 01:23:02 PM »
Hello Al,

how is progress with the BOM of the anemometer and vane tester project?
Or is it possible to order a kit with pcb and parts to build one from you?

Thanks,
Remie

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
Funnily enough I was was playing with this earlier today, I did get all the parts a few months ago, but had a tidy and and now can't find anything :-)

I've changed the display to be a bargraph as its easier for me to make on a single sided PCB, the image attached is the provisional design, not yet tested and drawn in Visio.

Ian
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
Not yet, just got a couple of things to find then I'll make the board, I'll post up a picture when done.
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »
Hello Al,

how is progress with the BOM of the anemometer and vane tester project?
Or is it possible to order a kit with pcb and parts to build one from you?

Thanks,
Remie
I'm assembling a board today.  One connector is on the wrong side.  If this board works, I'll let someone try assembly of a board.  I know the design works.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 03:27:46 PM »
I'd be happy to buy a board and make one up.  I have soldering skills.  I've made the Blitz lighting boards when they were self build.

I also have a "spare" anemometer I could use.  I just replaced mine as the bushings were shot.  So it reads about half wind speed, but right direction.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WXH

• Hoogeloon Weather
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
I would also buy a board when you have finished testing.
Soldering is no problem for me.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 06:03:40 PM »
I'm sorry that I took so long getting the project available.  I'll stuff a board and test it tonight.  I know the circuit works.
Al

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 06:07:11 AM »
Interested in project l

Offline eyecue

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 09:11:21 PM »
any idea how Davis overcomes the 5vdc latching voltage for the new Hall sensor models?  The IWS appears to not produce enough voltage.
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

anything