Author Topic: Incorrect wind direction shown on display console, any help please? UPDATE  (Read 2698 times)

Offline damoedge

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here and I hope to enjoy my experience.

A few weeks back I bought a Misol professional wireless weather station from China, here is the link to the site where I bought it:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32809987885.html?spm=a2g0n.orderList.0.0.5516b752v3ZmIq

I will explain the problems in detail.

1. When I first started to use the weather station I noticed certain values on the display console would change automatically by themselves without any buttons being pressed.

Normal temperature changes to dew temperature.

Relative pressure changes to absolute pressure.

Day rain changes to event rain.

Wind speed changes to wind gust.

Again theses values change by themselves automatically without any buttons being pressed, this happens all the time every few hours, it's been happening since the very first day of operation.

2. The left side of the display console goes totally blank for a few seconds, this happens every few hours also. The sections are: time and date, weather forecast, pressure, UVI and the light section go black for a few seconds and come back on again.

3. This is the main problem for me, The wind direction arrow is stuck on "west" all of the time, it does not matter what direction the wind vain is facing, for example, the wind vain could be facing East but the wind direction arrow on the display console points to West all of the time. This started to happen around the 4th of February and I will prove this later.

To try and fix the wind direction problem I first replaced the batteries with new alkaline batteries in to the sensor array....no fix problem.  I then performed a factory reset on both the sensor array and on the display console...no fix problem.  The wind vain is spinning correctly in the wind direction.

The console is uploading data to weather underground all of the time since the first day. Here is the link to my weather station:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IBALLINA6

On the link above (weather underground) if you go back to the date of February 4th and look at the wind direction graph you will see that something started to happen to wind direction?? When you go to the "next day" February 5th you will see that something major happened to wind direction at exactly 3.08am.  I have to say that at that time nothing physical happened to the sensor array or the display console.

I have a feeling that the problem is with the display console because of the other problems I have said above, or am I wrong? Maybe someone here would know?

I really would appreciate some help on this matter as it's annoying me  :sad:

Thanks all for reading this
D.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:58:54 AM by damoedge »

Offline damoedge

Re: Incorrect wind direction shown on display console, any help please?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:26:18 AM »
Someone must know, someone must be able to give me some advice on this, it's doing my head in...lol

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »
Well, you've certainly been patient on waiting for a response from someone.  First thing, welcome to the forum!!!  It is a good group of folks here and some very knowledgeable people included (unfortunately I'm not one of the knowledgeable ones<grin>).

I would imagine the lack of feedback on this is due to no one has purchased or used one of these weather stations.  It is indeed my first time seeing the name.  Also, there are some decent stuff that comes via aliexpress.com but some things are questionable as to quality.  You may have gotten a mass produced and minimum quality controlled unit. Hopefully not and there is an obscure setting that needs checking to keep things from apparently defaulting to those undesired settings.  I think I would contact the seller and tell them the unit is defective and that you would like a refund...hopefully they will cooperate with you on that.

I know nothing to tell you about the changing of display or the blanking out of part of the display.  As for the wind direction being stuck on WEST have you removed the wind vane and manually turned the stem that the vane attaches to to be sure it is turning and that the vane isn't simply spinning on the stem?  Also, is the anemometer/wind-vane unit wired to the rest of the outdoor unit?  Have you checked plugs to be sure they're correct and solidly connected?  Are the console and outdoor unit well within the stated wireless range of the unit?  Regarding batteries...have you checked the ones that you are using to insure that they are good...being new doesn't necessarily mean that they are good and have a good charge on them.  Check them with a multi-meter or a dedicated battery-tester.

Maybe some of that will get some idea juices running in your brain, sorry I couldn't have been anymore help than I was but not being familiar with this unit it's hard to give you specific information or ideas.  At least maybe them will give you another bump for somebody else to see and comment on your situation.

Best wishes,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
Well, you've certainly been patient on waiting for a response from someone.  First thing, welcome to the forum!!!  It is a good group of folks here

+1

I looked at the link you provided where you bought the unit and what seems odd is that the ISS is a WS-1200/1400 but the console is for a WS-2902 (Osprey).
You are getting data, so it must work that way.

As to the wind direction problem, I agree with Intheswamp, remove the vane and turn the shaft while checking the direction on the console. On my 1200 there is a flat spot on the shaft for the set screw on the wind vane to engage.

The Misol is an Ambient clone, so I would suggest posting this on the Ambient board as well. Might be the reason you had no replies.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
Someone must know, someone must be able to give me some advice on this, it's doing my head in...lol

hello

i am 90% sure the wind sensor component inside the outdoor unit is faulty ...i think november last  year I stripped one of those down for a guy called sinan and his friend on here they had an identical problem almost . what we did was stripped it down (you will be amazed how rugged and cheaply these have been manufactured, i was shocked and was surprised really was) .

just below the wind vane small plastic pole as it inserts to the unit is a small plug in component(sorry i dont have pictures perhaps sinan has) with a circular white plastic i recall and 2 metallic sensors basically the wind vane rotates inside it , we reversed its position and it produced exactly the opposite direction of what they were seeing all the time. ill ask sinan as they got a replacement part from china Fine offset as it is just a simple plug in connector and the problem is fixed i will send you a PM if they have any info.

alternatively send it back if thats an option but if you reside in a relatively hot climate with long periods of high UV this product particularly the outdoor
has a life expectancy of 2-3 years before the plastic starts to turn brittle(yellow) and eventually crack or has we found the wind vane will just snapped off and turned to bits of dust..you could flick it and it just broke bits off.

brian

Offline damoedge

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 08:26:23 AM »
Hi all,

First off thanks for welcoming me here to this great forum and thanks so much for your replies and good ideas, they were very much appreciated. I was beginning to give up hope but you guys came good so tucks a million!

To update you on the problem: I have tried all of the things that Ed mentioned, I have opened up the outdoor unit and spun the vain shaft but still nothing. I did take off the little electric board that has the 2 metallic sensors on it and I even tested that board with a multi meter and there is power on the board. I'll attach some pics of the board to this message.  What I did notice was this: when I opened up the unit I left it inside for 24 hours with the wind vain off the unit, the wind direction display still moved very very slowly in a clockwise direction...sometimes it stays stuck and sometimes it moves really slow like a full 360° in 24 hours.  I have tried all other things, checking batteries, it's within distance only 10 meters away, the hardware inside looks fine and all plugs in place.

So from noticing that above I contacted the seller and "Amy" was helpful fair play to her! We both came to the conclusion at the time that it was the display console fault seeing as certain parts of the console go blank and other values change by themselves automatically without any buttons being pressed.  So Amy is sending out a new display console to test, happy days!

But now I'm actually beginning to think that it is the outdoor sensor array as lately the humidity and Dew point values are going up and down, like dew point -30 and humidity 10% which I know is wrong! And if you see on my link to my weather underground data it's plain to see this. So now I think it's the outdoor unit which is a pain because I don't think they will send me another one of them.

So would any of ye guys know of an outdoor sensor array that would be compatible to the display console??  The outdoor array sends data by 433Mhz...?

I love this new hobby and living in Ireland we could get 4 different seasons of weather on one day...lol lol...it's true! But I'm an engineer and I love to solve problems so this one will get solved eventually!

Thanks again guys so much for your help and support, keep it coming :)

Damien.

Offline damoedge

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:30:00 AM »
Here is a photo of the board guys, it's a screen shot as original photo is to big to upload.

Damien.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
So Amy is sending out a new display console to test, happy days!
That is good news.  \:D/

But now I'm actually beginning to think that it is the outdoor sensor array as lately the humidity and Dew point values are going up and down
Wait until you get your new console. Dew point is actually calculated in the console depending on temperature and humidity.

In the photo, T3 and T4 are Hall effect transistors. I you move a small magnet past them, you should see the effect on the console. That round disk on the shaft is a magnet. A shot in the dark, use a paper clip to see if it actually magnetized

Good luck and keep us posted.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline damoedge

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »

Wait until you get your new console. Dew point is actually calculated in the console depending on temperature and humidity.

This is very good news for me because my original gut feeling was the display console  \:D/  Is there any way to flash firmware to these consoles? I know how to flash phones so I'm not new to it :)

In the photo, T3 and T4 are Hall effect transistors. I you move a small magnet past them, you should see the effect on the console. That round disk on the shaft is a magnet. A shot in the dark, use a paper clip to see if it actually magnetized

Good luck and keep us posted.

I will try this also and see what happens and of course I'll keep you all posted!

Again here is the link to my weather underground data and graphs:

Thanks again,
Damien.

Offline damoedge

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »
Hi all, hope your all well.

Here's an update to the problem that I had with my weather station which was showing the wrong wind direction and incorrect outdoor dew point and humidity values on the the display console

The seller from Aliexpress sent me out a new replacement display console which I received the morning of 22nd of March.....happy days hey......so I plugged it straight in and started to use it at exactly 8.50am that morning....it was working perfectly....everything worked fine...proper wind direction which was updating every 15 seconds like it should do, so the wind direction arrow on the display console was changing every few seconds as supposed to do.....all was working fine....problem solved.....so my original gut feeling was right....it was the display console that was the problem...the outdoor sensor array is working perfect....the software on the old display console must have failed somehow.

Everything was working fine....until....at around 12 midday the outdoor humidity value suddenly dropped drastically! It dropped to 10% and stayed at that value for most of the day. Also the dew point dropped as well to something crazy  -30°   I didn't really care that much about it as I was happy that the wind direction was working properly!......until....wait for it......the next morning at around 8.50am the wind direction on the display console got stuck again!   (Exactly 24 hours after the display console was first used!?)  Talk about feeling gutted! I was very unhappy!

You can see all of this happening from my weather underground data graphs on the 22nd of March...at 8.50am is when I first turned on the display and started uploading data....then at 12 midday the humidity and Dew point drops....then the next morning  ( 23rd ) at 8.00am the wind gets stuck.

So guys and girls it looks like the software on this display console fails which is sad because the reason I bought this particular weather station is the display console is lovely to look at.  Someone said on here that the "dew point" is calculated within the display console and I guess so is the movement of the wind direction arrow too.

Again I tried everything to fix it...factory reset, calibration...nothing worked.

I have a few questions which I hope I can get help on here 😊

1. Is there a way to flash this display console with different software or just flash the originally software if I get it? Maybe I could use Filezilla or Putty  (using the Wi-Fi network to transfer files or flash it)   to flash software or compatible software on to it?

2. Could any of you guys recommend a compatible display console for this weather station? The outdoor array sends a signal on 433mhz...so the compatible display would have to use 433mhz ?

It's a 10 in 1 weather station made by Misol.

Guys any help on these two questions or any ideas will be much appreciated 😊

Thanks again for your time reading this...

A disappointed Damien 😞

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
It might be worth picking up a USB SDR and seeing if rtl_433 has a compatible station code.  Of course, I'd personally cut my losses at this point.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline damoedge

It might be worth picking up a USB SDR and seeing if rtl_433 has a compatible station code.  Of course, I'd personally cut my losses at this point.....

Thanks for your reply 😊

Sorry I don't know really what you are talking about, do you mean if there is any other devices in the house transmitting 433mhz  ?   There was actually but it's turned off now.....

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
rtl_433 and a USB SDR can be used to receive data from about a hundred known 433mhz devices.  If the unit you have is a clone of someone else's hardware, you may find a compatible setting and possibly extract data without the console.  Personally, I'd cut my losses.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline damoedge

I wonder would it be worth it to try it....

Can anyone recommend another display console that would be compatible with the outdoor sensor array??

Thanks again.

Offline damoedge

Hi all,

Just to give you all an update on this problem.

A very big Thank You to a woman called Amy from the store in China for all her help on this, first she shipped be a new replacement display to see would that solve the problem, but it didn't. Then she shipped me a new outdoor sensor array and it arrived here a few days ago. The new sensor is working perfect so it looks like the old sensor had a big problem with it!! So all is working now like it should do and let's hope my fingers crossed that it will last a few years!

Again a big thanks to Amy for her help support and understanding!
I would buy from her again.

Thanks to everyone here for there help, support, suggestions and advice it was really appreciated!

Damien.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
 UU
Congratulations to you on getting everything worked out and to Amy for the customer service she provided you!!!!

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline damoedge

UU
Congratulations to you on getting everything worked out and to Amy for the customer service she provided you!!!!

Thanks so much Swamp   \:D/

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
The data looks like is showing up well on WU, too!!!!  =D&gt;

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline damoedge

The data looks like is showing up well on WU, too!!!!  =D&gt;
Yes it is...everything working prefect now....I love my new weather hobby! And here in Ireland we can get 4 seasons in 1 day..lol lol...we just had a hail stone shower and now the sun shining with blue skies

Sent from my p8000 using Tapatalk

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
Hail storm???  :shock:
So, how did the weather station handle getting pummeled by the hail???

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline damoedge

Hail storm???  :shock:
So, how did the weather station handle getting pummeled by the hail???

It didn't do a thing to it, it is still working prefect swamp....I'm very happy with it now  \:D/

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
Good to hear!!!  Enjoy the station!!!

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline damoedge

Good to hear!!!  Enjoy the station!!!

Ed

Thanks Ed, I am enjoying  :-)