Author Topic: Now using serial port and running through VVP but VWS update still slow  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
Up until yesterday, I have been using the IP communication method. Gave me problems, and got a serial data logger. Today, I registered VVP and StartWatch. I am running VWS, WeatherLink, VP Live, and Cumulus through the virtual comm ports. VP Live, WeatherLink, and Cumulus and updating in sync with the console. VWS is much better than it was before I switched my console communication method, as it is now cabled directly to my computer. I have VWS updates down to a consistent 2.5 to 4 seconds, but I still hear of people (example: Jay Hoehn) that has a wind strip chart running on 170 data points, and he can see it actually counting off every 1 second. I have my serial communication rate set to 1 second as Jay's is too. I can't see mine counting off every 1 second, but like I said, every 2.5 to 4. In theory, if I can see WeatherLink, VP Live, and Cumulus counting off every second, shouldn't VWS do that too?

Any thoughts, comments, questions, or suggestions?
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Re: Now using serial port and running through VVP but VWS update still slow
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:53:43 PM »
It's like anything in life your mileage may very. I put up a strip chart and mine is about what you say but I don't have any wind so maybe it different what the wind is blowing, I don't generally use strip chart less I want to watch something during a weather event.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:14:14 PM »
True that, but the 3-4 seconds are very consistent. Never has it counted off second by second. Could it be a port issue.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »
If you're running wireless, you're only getting a packet from the ISS or anemometer transmitter every 2.5 seconds.  No need to try to go any faster than that.

In watching Weather Display and Cumulus, for example, the flashing green dot to indicate "Data Received" or "New Record" will flash more often than that, but that could mean it received an acknowledgement from the console/VirtualVP, not necessarily fresh weather data.  Or it could be a repeat of the previous data.

I checked your site yesterday and it appeared your wind speed and/or direction was updating every couple seconds.

In watching my setup, my VWS updates are slower than the others too.  Sometimes it looks like it skips a packet or two.

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »
Mine might be skipping some packets too. Because the update rate varies allot between 2.5 and 4 seconds.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »
I think VWS uses a lot of system resources for the graphics it produces.  VWS is probably working behind the scenes to do something and can't "listen" for an update or two.

It might help to remove the meters, graphs, and strip charts we don't need, and make sure that files aren't being created when they're not being used.  Other software applications use very little CPU but VWS has always been substantially higher.  The user interface and graphics VWS produces are superior to anything else out there, but at a considerable cost.

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
Yeah, I now only have 11 elements on the VWS desktop. What else to try? I am using the com0com virtual serial ports. Is there a way I could speed up the data transfer in the virtual com port settings?
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
If you're running wireless, you're only getting a packet from the ISS or anemometer transmitter every 2.5 seconds.  No need to try to go any faster than that.

That makes perfect sense. Excellent point!

In watching Weather Display and Cumulus, for example, the flashing green dot to indicate "Data Received" or "New Record" will flash more often than that, but that could mean it received an acknowledgement from the console/VirtualVP, not necessarily fresh weather data.  Or it could be a repeat of the previous data.

My experience with Cumulus is the green "New Record" blinking is not data received, rather it's a parameter all-time record has been exceeded, high/low temp, high/low wind, etc.

CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
Yep, my problem was fixed a long time ago.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

anything