Author Topic: Reference for bad behavior (from determining PWS height)  (Read 1190 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Reference for bad behavior (from determining PWS height)
« on: January 06, 2019, 02:03:20 PM »
Wow, cool pic, never saw that before either. Can you clean my bathroom too?

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Re: Reference for bad behavior (from determining PWS height)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »
No, I wouldn't consider the bathroom, but I have cleaned up the artwork on the CWOP icon (in Adobe Illustrator), or moreover, just started from scratch, and in particular regard for maps like these all made in Global Mapper.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Other sizes available upon request.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
I'm glad you know "everyday people" and that they're too uneducated to understand the same pressure measurement that's been fed to them for decades. Speak for yourself.

Next time you're at your local grocery store, ask 10 people at random.  Get back to us.  We'll leave the light of for ya'.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 02:27:31 PM »
I'm glad you know "everyday people" and that they're too uneducated to understand the same pressure measurement that's been fed to them for decades. Speak for yourself.

Next time you're at your local grocery store, ask 10 people at random.  Get back to us.  We'll leave the light of for ya'.
What's your point? That's what is put out, that's what I use, and I'm certainly not alone. If one wants to understand it, they will, just like anything else in life. Just because it apparently doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean it doesn't fit others. Kinda like you whining about the AFD being too complex. If you don't want to educate yourself, your business, but don't lump everyone into your "standards".

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 02:48:33 PM »
What's your point?

'Everyday people' don't know or care and would not be able to answer your random question.  Could they find the answer?  Maybe, if they cared enough to bother, which I'm sure they would not if asked in a grocery store or other casual setting.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
What's your point?

'Everyday people' don't know or care and would not be able to answer your random question.  Could they find the answer?  Maybe, if they cared enough to bother, which I'm sure they would not if asked in a grocery store or other casual setting.
So what? Once again, your statement is pointless. I don't give a damn if Joe Blow knows what the altimeter is or not. I know.
It's real easy, use it or don't........ :roll:

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »

And they wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about, what it really means, would they, that's the funny part, but then there are the "enthusiasts" slitting hairs over irrelevance and of course a lot of weather reports comes from airports, oh my how could they and it's what every recliner chair pilot needs to know, the local area QNH forecast before they raise their wheelie gear and settle back for another exciting round of what is your QNH forecast today! Just what every chair jockey needs to know :)     
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:50:24 PM by Mattk »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 04:57:29 PM »

And they wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about, what it really means, would they, that's the funny part
No, the fun part is that you two are obviously two of the ten. Now that's the fun part....

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »
.... Datum doesn't seem to matter....
It generally doesn't but if it's not specified then what they could be provided could be absolutely useless as any value without the metadata is more a waste of space than anything else. So how do these organisations control the values they get? Do they expect everybody provides the correct and knowing values?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
And if that is your Davis weather station, its elevation at grade shown below is based on lidar data and should be pretty good. I can't speak to what the design specs called for when it was flown, but for our stuff flown in 2010, we had specified 15cm which translates to a statistical 95% confidence when delivering 2' contours.

It's interesting isn't it especially with aerial/Lidar type data with a 15cm spec and good for 2' contours that a system is allowed to spit out a height to the 3rd decimal place, to a fraction of an inch, the calculator syndrome is alive and well   

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
Does adding additional decimal places to PI (3.14159...) make PIES rounder?  :lol:

Only if you know what the 69 th decimal place is.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
No, the fun part is that you two are obviously two of the ten. Now that's the fun part....

The fun part is that out of 14176 Members, 160 of which have been online today, only 3 or 4 seem to think this matters at all.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »
I think some need to separate what may have been such a professional importance and dumb down to what people really need to know and what they understand, and the reasoning why. Saying something like this is the way it has been done for 30 years in a professional world has absolutely no bearing on anything in a daily routine, the nitty gritty and hair splitting may be real important for specific purposes but lets not complicate what doesn't need to be complicated. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
Saying something like this is the way it has been done for 30 years in a professional world has absolutely no bearing on anything in a daily routine
Thank God I have you to tell me what has "bearing" in my life. Keep your completely clueless statements to yourself.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
Saying something like this is the way it has been done for 30 years in a professional world has absolutely no bearing on anything in a daily routine
Thank God I have you to tell me what has "bearing" in my life. Keep your completely clueless statements to yourself.

Nobody was telling you anything about you and bearing in your life, you do what you want but don't try and tell everyday people they have to follow your so called professional experience or requirements or whatever complications you are trying to push here, they are not interested in what you reported in the past 30 years or the irrelevance of it to them, you obviously can't separate what is of so called professional importance and what is important to everyday users and please read what is being said.   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:35:30 PM by Mattk »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »

Nobody was telling you anything about you and bearing in your life, you do what you want but don't try and tell everyday people they have to follow your so called professional experience or requirements or whatever complications you are trying to push here, they are not interested in what you reported in the past 30 years or the irrelevance of it to them, you obviously can't separate what is of so called professional importance and what is important to everyday users and please read what is being said.   
Out.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 12:16:35 AM »
Good, now everybody can get back to the actual subject, Determining Heights for PWS

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »
This interchange is NOT condoned behavior on WXForum.net.  To the participants: none of the above comments were helpful in the discussion and are just rude.  Please refrain from such behavior in the future.

This topic is locked.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP