Author Topic: Maintenance, SuperCap, etc.  (Read 1464 times)

Offline jchen

Maintenance, SuperCap, etc.
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »
My wireless VP2 Plus with FARS went into service in May 2006. Running fine until November 2008. At that time the ISS stopped sending data and I replaced the battery (CR123A). I also replaced the FARS motor and NiCd's (2000 mah). Everything OK until yesterday.

ISS died again so I'm thinking time for a new supercap. Ordered a couple from Digikey. Also ordered high capacity NiCd's (3000 mah) and new high capacity CR123A. I'm going to replace the ISS battery tomorrow and then swap everything else out when they arrive, hopefully next week.

While I've got the unit down for repairs, can you think of anything else I should do (clean out collector, tipping buckets, check seals, etc.).

Off topic but, can anyone recommend a small PC, notebook, or netbook, with a spare PCI slot (for a Boltek StormTracker) to run all my weather goodies?

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus - 24hr-FARS
Weatherlink 5.9.2 beta
CWOP: CW5885
WU: KNJFAIRL3
Northeastern Weather Network

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Maintenance, SuperCap, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »
A good cleaning covers all. Also check the foam plug in the back of the transmitter module and replace it if looks like it wont provide a good fit. As for a netbook\notebook with a PCI slot, they have a PCI-e (express) slot and a PCMCIA slot (notebooks) but that is not compatible with the PCI Boltek card. Unless you spend more money and get the external USB based Boltek, a notebook wont work for you. There is a thread in the Tech area of the board about mini ITX PC's that ultra small. Some of them give you 1 or 2 PCI slots internally. They are still a bit pricey but if saving space, and energy then that is the way to go.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:03:09 PM »
I just installed the Boltek PCI card and I don't think there is a "small" computer it would fit in. I'm not going to open the box to give you exact dimensions but I would guestimate 5" x 8". Very thin but quite large.

FWIW

George

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
The original "full-size" PCI card is specified as a height of 107 mm (4.2 inches) and a depth of 312 mm (12.283 inches). The height includes the edge card connector. However, most modern PCI cards are half-length or smaller (see below) and many modern PCs cannot fit a full size card.  Current "spec" is half-size card:  4.2 x6.9"  Boltek needs to make a PC Express or PCMCIA/PC Card version
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything