Author Topic: Archer trading post experiences?  (Read 6267 times)

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
Archer trading post experiences?
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
Hi All.  First post.

I am seriously considering purchasing a Davis 6153.  I have seen many recommendations for Ambient Weather on this board, and was wondering if anyone has dealt with Archer Trading Post.  Here is why I am considering them over Ambient.
- More shipping options.  Ambient is UPS only, and UPS wants to rip me off for $52 in brokerage for shipping to Canada.  I also have a PO box that UPS won't ship to.  I think I can self-broker the package if I had to, and work out a way for UPS to actually deliver the package to me, but why bother?  Archer will ship USPS, so no brokerage fees and they'll deliver to my PO box.  Shipping costs themselves are a wash (USPS is actually a few bucks cheaper).
- ATP is within a few bucks on price with AW and has a 30 day return policy. 
- Feedback on the ATP ebay store is 100% positive
- As noted, I am in Canada and noticed this on their ebay site as well: "ONE YEAR INDEPENDENT INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY! The Davis Instruments manufacturer warranty becomes null and void if you use this item outside the USA.  We provide a hassle free independent  one year warranty for this item regardless of its location."

Thoughts???

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Archer trading post experiences?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
I like you, hate UPS, and am in Canada.  However just a thought, are you comparing Ambient web site price to ATP, or are you using the "good" price? 

I think you are using list.  The lower than MAP pricing on 6152 will save you ??150 or so. Also the datalogger at abmient is $30 cheaper.
I cant find the link right now if anyone else can post to check for sure.  (last time I checked the 6163 it was $250 off quoted)

I think you will find even with UPS extortion, ambient is cheapest, so if you can figure out the po box thing.....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »
Found the link.  I was wrong you will save 196.55 (not 150'ish)

http://www.ambientweather.com/davaproandpr1.html

So I think saving $226.55 is probably worth giving those #$%$&'s at UPS $52

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 03:32:18 PM »
Found the link.  I was wrong you will save 196.55 (not 150'ish)

http://www.ambientweather.com/davaproandpr1.html

So I think saving $226.55 is probably worth giving those #$%$&'s at UPS $52

Andrew

Give me a little credit, Mackbig  :-) 

ATP has a low price quote area of their website as well.  Ambient is three dollars more expensive.  So like I said, prices are basically a wash.
http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_7&products_id=4

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 02:03:52 AM »
I have a 6153 and my only regret is not buying the "Pro" version with the Solar & UV sensors.

I'm jussayin...

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Arthurhh

• Senior Contributor
  • IT Fixer
    • Tokoroa Weather Live
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:29:39 AM »
I purchased via Archer, it was a good experiance and the pricing was great, he also was very good on the declared price for the gear comming via my countries customs (The extornion or ransom as I call it).

His price beat ambient (or at least what they quoted me on there better price deal)

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
I purchased via Archer, it was a good experiance and the pricing was great, he also was very good on the declared price for the gear comming via my countries customs (The extornion or ransom as I call it).

His price beat ambient (or at least what they quoted me on there better price deal)
Excellent news, Arthurhh.  Thank you.  I'm thinking I should be able to pay a duty of zero.  I'm in Canada and Davis stuff is made in the USA.  The North American Free Trade Agreement should let me bring this in duty free.  I'll have to be careful to get Archer to put the appropriate declaration on the box, though.

Zero brokerage plus zero duty makes DeKay happy happy.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 01:42:48 PM »
There should be no duty/customs per se.  They should collect sales taxes at most.   My experience with USPS is that at most they charge a $5 processing fee to collect the 5% GST.

Andrew

Offline jchen

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
My experience with Archer was very positive. I purchased a replacement fan motor for my FARS. While this certainly is not in the same range as a $800 - 1,000 6152 or 6153 investment, the order was handled quickly and without problems. They had the best price ($40 if I remember correctly) and one of the few places that actually stocked this OEM replacement part.

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus - 24hr-FARS
Weatherlink 5.9.2 beta
CWOP: CW5885
WU: KNJFAIRL3
Northeastern Weather Network

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »
I'm thinking I should be able to pay a duty of zero.  I'm in Canada and Davis stuff is made in the USA.  The North American Free Trade Agreement should let me bring this in duty free.  I'll have to be careful to get Archer to put the appropriate declaration on the box, though.

That's a matter for Canada Customs, not the merchant.  Asking them to lie on the paperwork could get your product seized.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 06:37:41 PM »
Dekay's statement is correct, he says nothing about lying.  Its the merchant, not Customs that must make the declaration... Sometimes you need to "help" the vendor in what to say.  I once had a U$300 warranty replacement sent by ups, the shipper did not check the correct box, and I got my $46.60 "brokerage" fee, plus duty/taxes, and sundries extortion from UPS.  I just returned to sender and asked for another shipment.  Second one came with no charged from ups.  Another time, a different vendor switched to usps, cause their rep did not even know how to complete paperwork.

Andrew

I'm thinking I should be able to pay a duty of zero.  I'm in Canada and Davis stuff is made in the USA.  The North American Free Trade Agreement should let me bring this in duty free.  I'll have to be careful to get Archer to put the appropriate declaration on the box, though.

That's a matter for Canada Customs, not the merchant.  Asking them to lie on the paperwork could get your product seized.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »

Please don't accuse me of something like this.  Read my post again.

Basically, there are some vendors that don't understand how to get the paperwork in place so that law abiding Canadian citizens like me are rightfully not charged duty.  My statement was based on a bunch of up-front digging and had nothing to do with getting the merchant to make a false claim.

The "declaration" includes stating that the product is made in the USA, and that further production outside the territories covered by NAFTA has not occurred since.  It is also a primo idea to include the appropriate "harmonization code", which is 9015.80.90.90 for weather stations.  One look at that magic number and the weather station goes through customs like poop through a goose.  Worst case, USPS charges me a nominal $5 - $8 fee for determining this and applicable provincial and federal taxes.  Pretty sweet in comparison to getting raped by UPS.

Now that I've vented, I should mention that I pulled the trigger on Friday night and ordered a 6153 over the phone with Ryan from Archer Trading Post.  He took my call at 9:00 pm his time, I had a shipping invoice one hour later, and it was in the mail first thing Saturday morning.  All emails prior to me ordering were always answered promptly and completely.   All I can say is Ryan rocks pretty hard.  Did I mention that he self-warranties the station for a year when Davis would tell me to PFO trying to claim a warranty from Canada?

Thanks for backing me up, Mackbig.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 12:11:37 AM »
Davis stuff purchased in Canada from approved dealers is warranted.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Arthurhh

• Senior Contributor
  • IT Fixer
    • Tokoroa Weather Live
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 01:22:33 AM »
Davis stuff purchased in Canada from approved dealers is warranted.

Davis stuff purchased anywhere in the world from distribuors approved to sell in that region region is also fully warrented. The key to that statement is approved to sell in that region. USA dealers are generally not approved to sell outside USA. Microsoft regional price type policy tends to be applied by Davis.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »
Davis stuff purchased anywhere in the world from distribuors approved to sell in that region region is also fully warrented. The key to that statement is approved to sell in that region. USA dealers are generally not approved to sell outside USA. Microsoft regional price type policy tends to be applied by Davis.

Then Davis' policy in North America makes no sense.  I could maybe understand if they divided, say, Europe and North America into different regions because they might have to change the wireless operating frequency.  But the USA and Canadian versions are identical, so all they end up doing is hurting their customers.  When I imported my John Deere tractor (yup, a tractor), the "region" was North America.  So I saved 24% off a purchase equivalent to about 30 weather stations and had a full warranty when that green machine rolled up to my door.

I wish companies like this would wake up to the fact that there is an internet now.  People will go to where they can get the best deal, and they shouldn't have arbitrary obstacles like this put in their way.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
Lots of consumer electronics (MP3 players, digital cameras etc.) work that way.  Somehow the local distrib. has to be protected I guess.  Free trade my eye...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Somehow the local distrib. has to be protected I guess.

If it was the "local distributor" Davis cared about, then why do they allow internet based sites like Archer, Provantage, and Ambient to sell their products way below the manufacturer's minimum advertisable price, especially when getting those prices takes just a few clicks of the mouse?  The simple answer is that these places sell tons of weather stations for Davis' benefit.

How many people on this board have supported the local distributor down the street (assuming you are in a city large enough to have one) when they could save triple digit dollars ordering online?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 12:10:14 PM »
MAP is just that:  Advertized price.  Anything else  is a violation of federal trade laws.  Price fixing etc.  BTW, one needs to be careful in x-border shopping.  When I got my Davis it was  basically the same price to get it from Canada as the US.  Plus full warranty etc.  One thing the places like Archer seem to have is the little spare parts that are special order here.  Like the FARS kit I need.  It'll be  10-20% from Ryan than the Canuck distribs.