Author Topic: calibrating rain gauge  (Read 3423 times)

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
calibrating rain gauge
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:44:54 AM »
so i found out my davis gauge reads low  about .05inches  (checked with cocorhas gauge at same height in same location) so if im correct thats 5% off or about one turn of the screw???
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: calibrating rain gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:34 AM »
What length of period did you analyze, what was the rain rate during the period, and how many periods did you base your results on???

Since the stated accuracy is +-4% to +-5% based on the event, I would not start messing with calibration.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »
I've been surprised that everyone seems to think their Davis rain gauges need to be calibrated.  I've always assumed that a NIST-standardized calibrated setting was part of the manufacturing process at the factory (this isn't the same as an individual unit NIST calibration check).

So I thought I would drag out my old pre-CoCoRaHS inner tube and cone to verify the Davis gauge's results and take advantage of the abnormally high number of rainy days we are having.  Normally you can't do this in the desert and all you end up collecting in the calibrated tube is bird poop and bugs.  My pre-CoCoRaHS's outer tube is so sun crazed that I'm almost afraid to touch it for fear that it will crumble or that the bottom will fall out of it at any moment. 

So far based on a few rain events, both hard and gentle, I've found that the Davis gauge is either dead equal to or one tip (0.01") less than the 4" gauge. The 4" gauge is in a more wind-sheltered location and is at a lower height than the Davis ISS so this also assures me that the rainfalls with low to modest winds (0-8 mph) are being properly measured.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:55:39 AM »
Thanks, maybe i will leave me davis gauge alone then.

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »
Josh, I don't think I would touch the calibration on the rain gauge. I have had a Davis located about 10 ft. from a 4 in. gauge since April. The total rainfall has been about 8 in. with only .05 in. difference. Remember, it only takes a couple of drops to tip or not tip the bucket.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista