Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149977 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »

NOAA takes us seriously:

03/27/2017: US Dept of Commerce, NOAA, NWS has just approved and authorized
 the use of the NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio logo  for Noaa Weather Radio ORG
=D>

Offline Helmsword

« Reply #426 on: March 30, 2017, 01:59:03 PM »

NOAA takes us seriously:

=D>

Awesome to hear.
Weather Underground have got to be slapping themselves silly right now as a result.

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #427 on: March 30, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »

NOAA takes us seriously:

=D>

Awesome to hear.
Weather Underground have got to be slapping themselves silly right now as a result.

Yes, very awesome!  It's not too often you get endorsed by the NWS!  Great job!

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #428 on: March 30, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »

NOAA takes us seriously:

=D>

Outstanding, great work  =D>

CW3699

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #429 on: March 30, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
NWS Monterey (KEC49) has dropped carrier (again).  I've contacted the NWS Monterey about the issue.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #430 on: March 30, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »

NOAA takes us seriously:

=D>

Congratulations Mike et al - a job well done!  =D>

I would suggest adding a roll-over on the NOAA logo that validates your usage of the logo. Something like a statement that NOAAWeatherRadio.org has received official permission/recognition to use the logo. It would help build credibility for what you and your contributors are doing.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #431 on: March 30, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
NWS Monterey (KEC49) has dropped carrier (again).  I've contacted the NWS Monterey about the issue.
And, the call worked :)  KEC49 back on the air.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #432 on: March 30, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
Unless I missed it, I don't see any reference to the new NOAA RADIO HARDWARE thread that was started earlier today by DW7240. It will be the new reference to the actual hardware and configurations for us to set up our own NOAA streaming equipment that folks are using. The link to that new thread follows:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:42:40 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline stanswx

• StansWeather.Net
« Reply #433 on: March 30, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »
TuneIn is probably the biggest and most important third party streaming platform around. Their database is also used by other apps to point to various streams so if you have relaunched your stream, you will want to get your listing on TuneIn updated. Here is how:
Just wanted to let you know I contacted TuneIn per your instructions last night. I checked it this afternoon and the stream has been fixed! Thanks for the detailed instructions!

http://tunein.com/radio/NOAA-Weather-Radio-16255-s115016/
Stan - K9SWX - Champaign, IL

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #434 on: March 30, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »
Unless I missed it, I don't see any reference to the new NOAA RADIO HARDWARE thread that was started earlier today by DW7240. It will be the new reference to the actual hardware and configurations for us to set up our own NOAA streaming equipment that folks are using. The link to that new thread follows:

After I looked closer it was a thread about receiving NOAA radio signal not streaming. So if someone wants to setup a NOAA streaming hardware thread its still optional.
Randy

• Forecaster
« Reply #435 on: March 30, 2017, 08:41:56 PM »
Wildwood Weather rides in from Decatur Tx

#1 2 1

Watch the page...http://noaaweatherradio.org --- shortly, we'll be showing an instant increase in NOAA WFO Audio of about 33%!
With More Sources under the desk, waiting to get sorted thru.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:48:30 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #436 on: March 31, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »
Not an electronics kind of guy so pardon the stupid question,but I bought the mono to 2 channel splitter and when I plug it in to my wx radio (midland 74-200), the output stops to my PC line in. I checked the splitter by using it with a headset plugged directly into my wx radio and it works. I should mention that my Dell Optiplex wx PC is pretty long in the tooth. Any ideas why it doesn't work or am I missing something basic here?  Thanks.
Bill

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #437 on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Not an electronics kind of guy so pardon the stupid question,but I bought the mono to 2 channel splitter and when I plug it in to my wx radio (midland 74-200), the output stops to my PC line in. I checked the splitter by using it with a headset plugged directly into my wx radio and it works. I should mention that my Dell Optiplex wx PC is pretty long in the tooth. Any ideas why it doesn't work or am I missing something basic here?  Thanks.

I'm not familiar using splitter. Did you have it working going into the red/pink mic in jack on PC prior to adding splitter would be the question I have. 

On the software I'm using I used the line-in option on connection from drop down list.
Randy

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #438 on: March 31, 2017, 11:14:53 AM »
I'm trying to get on the same page in an attempt to help.  What we are talking about isn't "splitting" but "combining" the mono output from the radio into both stereo channels as they enter your PC's "line-in".  Is the "mono" plug at the radio end? If not it should be.  The "stereo" end of the audio cable then plugs into the pc.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #439 on: March 31, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
I'm trying to get on the same page in an attempt to help.  What we are talking about isn't "splitting" but "combining" the mono output from the radio into both stereo channels as they enter your PC's "line-in".  Is the "mono" plug at the radio end? If not it should be.  The "stereo" end of the audio cable then plugs into the pc.

Thanks. Yes, the plug converts the mono output to both stereo channels. I plugged it into my radio, and then plugged my cable that connects to my PC into it. So yes, it's connected at the radio end. Maybe there's another setting in my PC I need to adjust(?) after using the plug.
Bill

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #440 on: March 31, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
The only suggestion I have is to restart your streaming software after it is all connected.  I know that broadwave will get "stuck" if the input is removed and restored.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #441 on: March 31, 2017, 11:34:57 AM »

I'm not familiar using splitter. Did you have it working going into the red/pink mic in jack on PC prior to adding splitter would be the question I have. 

On the software I'm using I used the line-in option on connection from drop down list.

Thanks Yes. Everything works fine before adding the adapter plug. I'm just trying to improve my broadcast by making it stereo. The minute I plug the adapter into my radio, it stops the line in feed. I need to try a few other things.
Bill

• Forecaster
« Reply #442 on: March 31, 2017, 12:43:19 PM »
Not to 'split' hairs here.. but you are technically in error.  We want to 'Split" a single channel into 2 channels. You 'combine' multiple elements into one. You 'split' a source into multiple. The device itself may be referred to as a 'combiner' or a 'splitter', depending on which way it is connected.  Multiple in and single out, as a combiner, single in to multiple out, as a splitter.  Now we'll be on the same page. Also, My Broadwave installs DO NOT 'forget', if the source goes away. Go Figure.??

FLOOD CASTER...
You may simply have a defective 'splitter'. Just bad.  but, then again, I had one appeared to be defective., but simply the 'molding' of the mono plug didn't allow the plug to fully engage into the Mono jack output of the radio. took care of that with a knife.
2nd make sure its a 'mono' plug.. a 'stereo' plug may not make contact. It's possible to err and get a 'stereo' to 'stereo' adapter, mistaking it for a 'mono' to stereo splitter / combiner. I've done it, lack of attention of old brain cells.

Make sure it's the right size... the earphone jack may be  1/8 inch, while your plug adapter may actually be 3mm, that's just a hair smaller, and may not be making contact... especially if the jack has been used previously with the English size. It's also possible that an original 3mm jack has been 'stretched' by using a 1/8 in plug previously ...
I've been down the road fighting with all these variable mechanical issues.
NOW, something similar may have occurred on the PC end, if you've the plug inputs on the PC.. 3mm trying to fit 1/8 inch stretched! Or attempting to plug a 'mono' into a stereo jack!

Use the LINE IN on pc if possible, rather than MIC...

Mike

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:51:06 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #443 on: March 31, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
Correction noted with my apologies.  Regarding the problem at hand, no matter what software is being utilized it can never hurt to restart the software as one troubleshooting technique.  It is actually a good place to start.  That said, my Broadwave installation will get stuck if the input is disturbed for more than a few minutes (or at least is did when I made a similar change in my hardware.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:51:00 PM by tmabell »

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #444 on: March 31, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Just to rule out the problem wasn't my venerable old Dell PC I did a test with a laptop with the same results, line in feed to the laptop stopped once the adapter is connected to my wx radio. So it appears to be an issue with the plug/adapter, I'm going to get a new one.
Bill

Offline tim273

• Contributor
UPS on How-To Page
« Reply #445 on: March 31, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »
Just a suggestion for the How-To page on http://noaaweatherradio.org, add a section about getting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).  Since people listen to these streams the most when there's severe weather that's also the most likely time there could be a power outage.  If you happen to be the one with the power outage, people can't listen to your stream.  I mention it on my Raspberry Pi page in the second part (reply 4 I think).

Here's some examples: https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=ups Depending on what you're running for a computer, and how big of a UPS you get, it will give you 20 minutes to a couple hours.

I got this one about a month ago: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/1350-battery-backup/prod8410081.ip

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #446 on: March 31, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
I hope people aren't relying on our streams but actually have their own weather radios.

Unfortunately I'm finding after moving to tornado country people don't use their radios but rely on city siren because radio wakes them in middle of night with tornadoes 100+ miles away. Big problem for Cherry county having such a big SAME area . 
Randy

• Forecaster
« Reply #447 on: March 31, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
Just a suggestion for the How-To page on http://noaaweatherradio.org, add a section about getting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).  Since people listen to these streams the most when there's severe weather that's also the most likely time there could be a power outage.  If you happen to be the one with the power outage, people can't listen to your stream.  I mention it on my Raspberry Pi page in the second part (reply 4 I think).

Here's some examples: https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=ups Depending on what you're running for a computer, and how big of a UPS you get, it will give you 20 minutes to a couple hours.

I got this one about a month ago: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/1350-battery-backup/prod8410081.ip
Good point Tim..
additionally, we on the project have a built in fallback, ... lots of 'duplicates'... all the duplicate streams from different sources that we can get on site!

• Forecaster
« Reply #448 on: April 01, 2017, 10:40:14 PM »
#1 2 2
just now live from STWC Corpus Christi...

beginning to get a few submissions from Gulf Coast areas.. maybe get it covered by Hurricane season start June 1...

Now, Where are all the Tornado Alley streams?  High Plains?

• Forecaster
« Reply #449 on: April 02, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »
#1 2 2
just now live from STWC Corpus Christi...

beginning to get a few submissions from Gulf Coast areas.. maybe get it covered by Hurricane season start June 1...

Now, Where are all the Tornado Alley streams?  High Plains?
1 32  as of the moment...
Kinda 'cheated' a bit... expanded Florida with direct audio file access from WFO Miami / South Florida.... improves our 'audio' coverage down there...
Working these sources up, makes my eyeballs cross...
and I'd swear that, after awhile, all the dang announcers start to sound alike....

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:28:51 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »