Author Topic: Anemometers - Anyone have one installed in a tree?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
Anemometers - Anyone have one installed in a tree?
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »
We just moved into a new neighborhood and the Homeowner's Association is very strict.  I do not believe they'll allow me to mount my anemometer like I'd want it.  There are some pretty tall trees nearby though.  I was thinking about putting my anemometer as high as I could into one of these pine trees.  I have a relative who's a tree climber that could do it for me.  Maybe like 30 - 40' or so.  I could go as high as 100' if I wanted. 

Has anyone done this before? My thermo/hydro sensor is mounted in the perfect spot and my rain gauge will not be a problem.  The anemometer is the only thing left.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Anemometers - Anyone have one installed in a tree?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
We just moved into a new neighborhood and the Homeowner's Association is very strict.  I do not believe they'll allow me to mount my anemometer like I'd want it.  There are some pretty tall trees nearby though.  I was thinking about putting my anemometer as high as I could into one of these pine trees.  I have a relative who's a tree climber that could do it for me.  Maybe like 30 - 40' or so.  I could go as high as 100' if I wanted. 

Has anyone done this before? My thermo/hydro sensor is mounted in the perfect spot and my rain gauge will not be a problem.  The anemometer is the only thing left.

If the tree sways in the wind, it would probably affect the direction reading.  It could also require a lot of wire to reach the top of the tree.  And the risk for lightning striking would be increased, I would think.  Not trying to be negative, just a few thoughts off the top of my head.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
do they allow a person to display the american flag? if so mount the anemometer on top of the flag pole.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
do they allow a person to display the american flag? if so mount the anemometer on top of the flag pole.

ooooh...now there's an idea!  I will have to find out about that one though b/c they may have limitations (allowed to display the American flag, but not on a permanent flag pole, etc).

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »
Scott you can't mount it on the roof or the side of the house?

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »
When CB radio was more popular it was an option to mount a home antenna in a nearby tree as an unobtrusive way to get good height.
You'd need to attach some sort of mounting pole on a substantial part of the tree to avoid movement as far as possible - and that needs doing with care if not to damage it.
It sounds a bit unrealistic unless no other option, although there would be situations where it might work well.
An old tree with few live boughs might offer more exposed attachment points and move less in strong winds.
Something young, leafy and whippy probably will be hopeless!

Offline jonkjon

• K2mm Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »
Something young, leafy and whippy probably will be hopeless!

I wonder if that's where the term "Young whipper snapper" came from........ :lol:

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »
I would think it will skew your readings. I have mine as high on a pole on the roof as I can, but I also have two huge Jacaranda trees about 25' to the W of the instruments and I've never recorded more than 30mph yet I've seen it move chaise lounges and chairs into a pile at the end of the deck during the stormy season.

Offline jonkjon

• K2mm Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
I think that I read that the recommended height (by NOAA in the U.S.) was 10 meters. Is that right?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »
I think that I read that the recommended height (by NOAA in the U.S.) was 10 meters. Is that right?

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about sensors and placements (and then some):

http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
From what I understand, it looks like I can mount it to a rear corner of my home.  Really no matter where it goes, I will run into the same problem....very tall pine trees about 30 - 40' to my south.  I'm going to try and get it up to about 30 feet or so.  All other directions are pretty much wide open.  Right now it's about 7 feet off the ground tied to a tree.  I put it there to make sure the sensor still worked after not having it in service for a few months.  Oddly enough, even at that height it was reading winds pretty accurate to what the local NWS station about 4 miles away was reading.

So once I get a spare day or two, I'll try to mount everything in its permanent location.  When I do, I'll post pictures.

(jonkjon......yes, the recommended height for an anemometer is 10 meters, or 33 feet)