Author Topic: 10 day forecast not showing snow amount predictions  (Read 811 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
10 day forecast not showing snow amount predictions
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:24:16 AM »
I always enjoy the zeal with which WU will predict 20" of snow for next Thursday.  Sometimes they're even right!  Unfortunately my WU 10 day prediction pages are not showing non-zero snow amounts and have not since the beginning of the snow season.  Rain predictions are fine.  For snow I get either -- or zero.  There are written predictions on the text version of the forecast.  It's just the quick glance 10 day forecast that I depend on so much that is affected.  Anyone else seeing this?

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
Re: 10 day forecast not showing snow amount predictions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
I haven't noticed that, but will have to keep my eyes on it.  I don't very often look at the ten day forecast, since about the only thing that is half way accurate, for my location, is whether it will be sunny or cloudy.  It has been so bad that I set up a spread sheet to track the one day forecast highs and lows on the first of December for both WU and NOAA.  I take the forecast highs in the morning and the forecast lows just before going to bed.  So far, neither of them are very close.  WU has averaged +3°F on the high and +7°F on the low, while NOAA is +5°F on the high and +4°F on the low.  Yesterday's WU high predicted at 36°F, actual 30°F, low predicted at 10°F, actual -1°F.  NOAA was the same on the high, but considerably closer on the low at 4°F.

Ten day forecast is not looking good for the local ski resort. ](*,)

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline NanoWx

Re: 10 day forecast not showing snow amount predictions
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
wu might be sharing underlying forecast tech with weather.com . IntelliCast extended forecast continues to include snowfall. NWS tends to be closer on point forecasts, but only hazards guesses (... errr forecasts) about a week out.
Kind of tough to reco any of IntelliCast, weather.com, or wu, since the avalanche of ads can noticeably slow some computers -- often keep these forecast sources inactive (back away from in a tab, or just use bookmarks).

anything