Author Topic: SHAME ON MIKE BETTIS  (Read 12856 times)

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
SHAME ON MIKE BETTIS
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:24:35 PM »
Tonight during the Weather Channel's prime time programming, Mike Bettis harassed the National Weather Service for continuing to push the use of weather radios (even though they have proven to still be the best way to deliver warnings and watches to the public who use them, especially during the overnight hours), and instead chastised them because they don't send text messages to cell phones.

Here is the problem with that, in case this moron missed that memo, the warnings cannot be sent efficiently via text messages. A warning must contain the type, the location, the time table, the duration, and other important information including possible locations in the path of the storm and reminders as to what to do to protect yourself.

Last time I checked, most people send text messages in abbreviated fashion because they can't get lengthy or don't care to read lengthy text messages. In addition, if a person is busy, text messages go unread for a while which is not wise if a tornado warning is being reported.

That second part also suggests that a cell phone call is also out of the question since it would likely go to the person's answering machine or in box at least for a few minutes (a few minutes that can mean the difference between life and death.)

Yes, New York was struck by a tornado. A lot of people were caught off guard. That's not the fault of the NWS, that's the fault of the state of New York for not doing more to educate their residents on the very real dangers that severe weather poses for their state even if it is less often than say the Midwest or Southeast.

The folks in those areas still have it right--sirens, weather radios, broadcast radio, television, and even the internet are still the best options to receive up to date weather warnings. Around here, when a tornado watch is issued, you can bet that every network will, at least, run the watch on screen every 15 minutes or so, and every radio will broadcast a reminder between commercial breaks.

In the event of a warning, networks will drop programming, radios will run the EBS (believe it or not, they still use it), and sirens in local communities will sound and can be heard for miles. I can assure Mr. Bettis that the sounds we equate to IMMINENT DEATH (the sound of an air ride siren) will get our attention much better than the quirky little ring tone we have come to hear dozens of times a day and will often ignore if we are busy.

Mike, do everyone a favor and sit there being Stephanie Abrams lap dog and stop trying to tell the National Weather Service how to do their job when they are doing it (at least that portion) just fine without your two cents (and we certainly don't need you discrediting weather radios in an unfair fashion.)

Offline utjer

• Jer's Weather
Re: SHAME ON MIKE BETTIS
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
People still watch the weather channel?  :-&

Anyway, you make very valid points. But a text could work. They use them here in Utah for the amber alerts. Agreed that the info for a severe weather alert is long but they could still warn you and advise to turn to the nearest news station or website for more info. Any extra ways to inform the public will possibly save lives.
      Davis Vantage Vue - CWOP DW5396

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »
Do you know how many text they would have to send???? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Millions? You can't do a broadcast of a text message so you'd have to have a SMS server (or many) pumping those out as fast as it could. Not practical IMHO. now maybe a weather alert feature (radio receiver) could be added to phones to get that info but I wouldn't count on it.

I haven't watched the Weather Channel in years I don't think. I have more weather on my site than they provide on TV so why should I? Not only that, but when I did watch I questioned the credibility of some of their on-air people.

Maybe when technology catches up with needs, maybe then text messages might be practical.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
I agree that a weather radio is an effective and inexpensive way to get the word out.  The only downside I can think of the the fact that reception in some office buildings is virtually non existant.  I cannot get any signal in my workplace.  However, in the car or at home it is very effective.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
We don't have a great signal in our building either. However, I have software on my weather server that monitors the EMWIN broadcast and sends an email as soon as the watches/warnings are posted by the NWS. (http://www.wxmesg.com)
And because it's a streaming broadcast, the alerts are almost instantaneous, there is no polling involved. Of course, all of this assumes an internet connection and you can't really count on that during a storm.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »
I don't think his idea would have bothered me as much if it wasn't for the fact that he somehow suggested that weather radios were becoming obsolete even though in the same of severe weather are probably the most valuable tool a person or family can have. It was as if the needs of the people of New York circumnavigated the needs of people who live in Tornado Alley and Dixie Alley.

It just crawled all over me that because a tornado hit the Bronx (only the second one since records have been kept) that suddenly the entire system, which has worked for 40 some odd years now) needs to be thrown out the window and replaced with a worse idea.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »
We don't have a great signal in our building either. However, I have software on my weather server that monitors the EMWIN broadcast and sends an email as soon as the watches/warnings are posted by the NWS. (http://www.wxmesg.com)
And because it's a streaming broadcast, the alerts are almost instantaneous, there is no polling involved. Of course, all of this assumes an internet connection and you can't really count on that during a storm.

Never seen that before. Looks like I need to read into that.

With this "app" crazy world, how bout an app that gets the same signal that triggers your weather radio?

I am also in favor of weather radios. Got mine, and gave them to family for x-mas gifts a few years ago
Tony

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »
The broadcast world is now facing an format change to CAP for their alerting or EAS as we knew it.. That in itself could lead to a fiasco if you consider the trouble many of us experienced in the not so recent past with warning data and scripts. While text alerting IS a more one on one approach to alerting it also could become unstable and unpredictable if network conditions degrade due to storm damage of otherwise. RF means such as NOAA WX Radio could also fail depending upon the redundancy built into the design  but normally that is a consideration and is factored in.  I have my system page and text me warnings I select just to be sure but that only relies on the integrity of the network to happen too. The NWS has added another medium power transmitter that serves my area fairly well now from my actual CWA point of origin so that is a great help to many in my area as it seems to be an on going problem at the MRX site on Holston Mountain being on low power quite a bit.

Basically I believe it takes us ALL to get the word out in the even of an emergency! This is especially true in areas that are on the fringe of one method of transmission or just plainly a diverse area to deliver to. One good thing is winters coming and the need for lightning quick response will slow somewhat with slower moving and slightly more predictable storm systems but the general need is still here to get warning information delivered as timely as possible using whatever method required for the area in question.

Myself I feel we are all a part of the big picture with our weather web sites and the data they provide and we all deserve a pat on the back..but this may be as close as we get to that #-o   THANKS!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »
The broadcast world is now facing an format change to CAP for their alerting or EAS as we knew it.. That in itself could lead to a fiasco if you consider the trouble many of us experienced in the not so recent past with warning data and scripts. While text alerting IS a more one on one approach to alerting it also could become unstable and unpredictable if network conditions degrade due to storm damage of otherwise. RF means such as NOAA WX Radio could also fail depending upon the redundancy built into the design  but normally that is a consideration and is factored in.  I have my system page and text me warnings I select just to be sure but that only relies on the integrity of the network to happen too. The NWS has added another medium power transmitter that serves my area fairly well now from my actual CWA point of origin so that is a great help to many in my area as it seems to be an on going problem at the MRX site on Holston Mountain being on low power quite a bit.

Basically I believe it takes us ALL to get the word out in the even of an emergency! This is especially true in areas that are on the fringe of one method of transmission or just plainly a diverse area to deliver to. One good thing is winters coming and the need for lightning quick response will slow somewhat with slower moving and slightly more predictable storm systems but the general need is still here to get warning information delivered as timely as possible using whatever method required for the area in question.

Myself I feel we are all a part of the big picture with our weather web sites and the data they provide and we all deserve a pat on the back..but this may be as close as we get to that #-o   THANKS!

I do agree. One of the first things I do when I see a watch or warning issued in my area is contact my family and friends to make sure they know it. My sister actually went out and bought a weather radio on my advisement (others in my family don't take it that seriously, unfortunately.)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
If I remember correctly, TWC has their own cell phone alert system.  So maybe they are indirectly pushing that service.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 06:26:53 PM »
At one time, I subscribed to get warnings emailed to me from The Weather Channel.  In several instances, warnings issued during the evenings were not received until the next afternoon.   :shock:

Needless to say, I unsubscribed.

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
If you think that emails or text messages cant be used for warning check out www.stormnow.com , I have been using them for years and this can be customized any way you can think of (different counties at different times) ect. For me its the best way to get watches and warnings away from home.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »
That'll work!  :-)

Instead of paying by the month I just purchased my own server software that pretty much does the same thing. It doesn't do any pretty formatting for the phone but I still get an email on my phone which is good enough for me. Mine allows for unlimited counties and for all practical purposes, unlimited groups. I could create a group for each county and add people to one or more groups. I could create a group for HWO's where that's all you get. It's very flexible plus I have total control over the whole thing. I paid $50 for the server software and 50 client. I can add as many people to the emails as I want but it also comes with client software for your computer complete with maps etc. You can try it for free for 30 days. http://wxmesg.com/wxmesgprod.htm The messages will look very familiar to most everyone as they are formatted exactly as they were created. I created a google email group and allow people to sign up for the messages that way.
Here's a sample HWO but you get the idea...

Code: [Select]
This alert has been provided by the NWS EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network).
The EMWIN data stream is broadcast by the National  Weather Service for use by emergency managers and others
and contains current weather warnings, watches, images, advisories, and  forecasts issued by the National Weather Service.

FLUS42 KFFC 301525
HWOFFC

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
1125 AM EDT THU SEP 30 2010

GAZ001>009-011>016-019>025-027-030>039-041>062-066>076-078>086-
089>098-102>113-011100-
BALDWIN-BANKS-BARROW-BARTOW-BIBB-BLECKLEY-BUTTS-CARROLL-CATOOSA-
CHATTAHOOCHEE-CHATTOOGA-CHEROKEE-CLARKE-CLAYTON-COBB-COWETA-
CRAWFORD-CRISP-DADE-DAWSON-DEKALB-DODGE-DOOLY-DOUGLAS-EMANUEL-
FANNIN-FAYETTE-FLOYD-FORSYTH-GILMER-GLASCOCK-GORDON-GREENE-
GWINNETT-HALL-HANCOCK-HARALSON-HARRIS-HEARD-HENRY-HOUSTON-JACKSON-
JASPER-JEFFERSON-JOHNSON-JONES-LAMAR-LAURENS-LUMPKIN-MACON-
MADISON-MARION-MERIWETHER-MONROE-MONTGOMERY-MORGAN-MURRAY-
MUSCOGEE-NEWTON-NORTH FULTON-OCONEE-OGLETHORPE-PAULDING-PEACH-
PICKENS-PIKE-POLK-PULASKI-PUTNAM-ROCKDALE-SCHLEY-SOUTH FULTON-
SPALDING-STEWART-SUMTER-TALBOT-TALIAFERRO-TAYLOR-TELFAIR-TOOMBS-
TOWNS-TREUTLEN-TROUP-TWIGGS-UNION-UPSON-WALKER-WALTON-WARREN-
WASHINGTON-WEBSTER-WHEELER-WHITE-WHITFIELD-WILCOX-WILKES-
WILKINSON-

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT
NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.SYNOPSIS...
AN UPPER LEVEL LOW OVER GEORGIA THIS MORNING WILL LIFT NORTHEAST BY
THIS AFTERNOON AS A SURFACE LOW MOVES UP THE EAST COAST. AS COLD
AIR ALOFT ASSOCIATED MOVES NORTHEAST...THE INTENSITY OF SHOWERS
ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA WILL DIMINISH THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...
SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT ANTICIPATED THROUGH TONIGHT.

$$

These emails are provided as a public service and free of charge from DaculaWeather.com. Always have a backup source like a battery operated weather radio. Internet communications may be disrupted during severe weather.

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »
StormNow no shortage of choices there. I'm getting TWC severe alerts now to my phone (free) , never considered how timely there are. I guess I'll try StormNow and compare. 
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »
That'll work!  :-)

Instead of paying by the month I just purchased my own server software that pretty much does the same thing. It doesn't do any pretty formatting for the phone but I still get an email on my phone which is good enough for me. Mine allows for unlimited counties and for all practical purposes, unlimited groups. I could create a group for each county and add people to one or more groups. I could create a group for HWO's where that's all you get. It's very flexible plus I have total control over the whole thing. I paid $50 for the server software and 50 client. I can add as many people to the emails as I want but it also comes with client software for your computer complete with maps etc. You can try it for free for 30 days. http://wxmesg.com/wxmesgprod.htm The messages will look very familiar to most everyone as they are formatted exactly as they were created. I created a google email group and allow people to sign up for the messages that way.
Here's a sample HWO but you get the idea...

Code: [Select]
This alert has been provided by the NWS EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network).
The EMWIN data stream is broadcast by the National  Weather Service for use by emergency managers and others
and contains current weather warnings, watches, images, advisories, and  forecasts issued by the National Weather Service.

FLUS42 KFFC 301525
HWOFFC

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

GAZ001>009-011>016-019>025-027-030>039-041>062-066>076-078>086-
089>098-102>113-011100-
BALDWIN-BANKS-BARROW-BARTOW-BIBB-BLECKLEY-BUTTS-CARROLL-CATOOSA-
CHATTAHOOCHEE-CHATTOOGA-CHEROKEE-CLARKE-CLAYTON-COBB-COWETA-
CRAWFORD-CRISP-DADE-DAWSON-DEKALB-DODGE-DOOLY-DOUGLAS-EMANUEL-
FANNIN-FAYETTE-FLOYD-FORSYTH-GILMER-GLASCOCK-GORDON-GREENE-
GWINNETT-HALL-HANCOCK-HARALSON-HARRIS-HEARD-HENRY-HOUSTON-JACKSON-
JASPER-JEFFERSON-JOHNSON-JONES-LAMAR-LAURENS-LUMPKIN-MACON-
MADISON-MARION-MERIWETHER-MONROE-MONTGOMERY-MORGAN-MURRAY-
MUSCOGEE-NEWTON-NORTH FULTON-OCONEE-OGLETHORPE-PAULDING-PEACH-
PICKENS-PIKE-POLK-PULASKI-PUTNAM-ROCKDALE-SCHLEY-SOUTH FULTON-
SPALDING-STEWART-SUMTER-TALBOT-TALIAFERRO-TAYLOR-TELFAIR-TOOMBS-
TOWNS-TREUTLEN-TROUP-TWIGGS-UNION-UPSON-WALKER-WALTON-WARREN-
WASHINGTON-WEBSTER-WHEELER-WHITE-WHITFIELD-WILCOX-WILKES-
WILKINSON-

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT

.SYNOPSIS...
AN UPPER LEVEL LOW OVER GEORGIA THIS MORNING WILL LIFT NORTHEAST BY
THIS AFTERNOON AS A SURFACE LOW MOVES UP THE EAST COAST. AS COLD
AIR ALOFT ASSOCIATED MOVES NORTHEAST...THE INTENSITY OF SHOWERS
ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA WILL DIMINISH THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...
SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT ANTICIPATED THROUGH TONIGHT.

$$

These emails are provided as a public service and free of charge from DaculaWeather.com. Always have a backup source like a battery operated weather radio. Internet communications may be disrupted during severe weather.

Interesting.  I paid $69 about seven years ago for software by Robert Dale (RealEMWIN) that can do all of this with a little configuration.  It runs 24/7 on my weather machine and I only configure those alerts I want.  I've compared, and the alerts I have sent via text msg to my phone arrive no later than 5 seconds after they arrive on my weather radio.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »
Same with this. I can configure exactly what messages to receive and for any zone I want.

Off to bed!  :-)

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
Ed

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
Ed

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 04:39:24 PM »
OK, I've been pretty loyal to RD in the past, but WXMesg seems pretty nice.  I'm trialing it right now to see if it's what I want.

It might be.  My only complaint about RealEMWIN was the lack of mapping features.  It appears that this has it.  Although I got a BSOD within the first hour, but that might have more to do with me using the image viewer pretty heavily to start.  Has a bit of a learning curve, but I like some of the customization that is allowed, where RealEMWIN on a lot of things doesn't let you do much customizing.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
There is a little bit of a learning curve to it but it does allow for a lot of customization. Let me know how your testing goes and if I can help at all.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 05:17:52 PM »
There is a little bit of a learning curve to it but it does allow for a lot of customization. Let me know how your testing goes and if I can help at all.

I will say this:  there's no lack of documentation in that manual.

I've been using RealEMWIN for nearly 10 years now; I'm guessing that whatever the learning curve is with this can be overcome, because RealEMWIN had a heck of a curve too.  I'm just now onto about page 45 of 200+ pages of the manual.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »
The more and more I test around with this product the more I like. Danny might have a new customer by weeks' end.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
And he did; I went ahead and purchased the full version (50 connections) last week.  I've been pretty happy so far and even found a defect in WxMap for him when he beta released 3.7.

One thing I'm having an issue with though is when I reboot (twice daily) this machine, the map configuration never stays quite what I had to begin with.  It centers just fine, but it zooms out a little.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »
Great! If I have any problems with mine I have someone to ask now!  :grin:

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
TWC is okay... I think it's wrong for Mike Bettis to dis on the NWS (Although I never heard him say this) Bettis is one of their better forecasters, but to say that I believe is kind of wrong... I used to listen to NWS radio almost everyday until I lost my signal.... Texts just arent the same as they are on the radio... :-|
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

anything