Author Topic: Anyone using GR Earth yet?  (Read 5144 times)

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
Anyone using GR Earth yet?
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
So I've been reading about GR Earth over at the GRx owners board for a while and yesterday I saw there is apparently a lengthy wait time to get your trial ID, which you have to have for the trial and to actually purchase.  doah!  Had I know that I would have signed up months ago. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure what the program is capable of, but I'd like to find out.  Any one using it? Thoughts on it?
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline katlon

• LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
  • Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
    • LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
Re: Anyone using GR Earth yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
I don't really think you ever buy the software as much as you lease it, but I bought or leased the program back when it was first offered. There is no total contol on the user end. Having said that there are tons of models to play with. No ftp to your web site though. That is the part I miss as with GR3. The program is actually designed around the professionals in the field however anyone can get a lot of enjoyment from it. I have a link below so as you can see a screenshot of the program.

http://pulliamjr.com/png/gre.png

Lonnie

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »
I don't have it and I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee for eye candy.  I'm not convinced it has any functional value like the other products.

Have you tried Google Earth?  I posted a thread on it a while back.  Lots of specialty add-on files available across the web.  This is global also, not just the US or North America.  I've watched Hurricanes (Cyclones) approaching Australia.  It works as a browser and needs a live net connection to pull in the data.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
That's my understanding that it's a pay per year plan or monthly.  I hate the idea personally but then again GR2 and GR3 are hardly bargains as far as price goes.  I'm interested in GR Earth though just to try it, it would be hard to justify the yearly cost though. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »
I have GRearth with the year subscription.  I love the product and have no problem recommending it to the meteo fanatic.  I love having all the Meso Analysis, Radar, GOES and so many more features in one interface.  I use it constantly at work and home.  My workmates are not into meteorology as I am but even they dig the program.

Obviously if money is an issue then this data can be gathered freely from a variety of sources on the Internet but I will take a product that gives me all I need from one source.

Basically it comes down to...If the cost is not an issue and you are weather fanatic you can not go wrong.  By the way the trial lasts for a solid month so you will be able to check it out without cost.

Trial requests should be quicker to be answered as much of the slowness in getting a trial ID was due to system changes and such...

Regards,

Rob

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
Its too bad it cant be one single payment like GR3, GR2, and GRA. I think GR Earth looks awesome, but I wouldnt pay a monthly fee...Thats why I have the free version of F5.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:16:44 AM »
If I can't stick it on my website, I don't want it.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 08:54:47 AM »
Thats a good point too, although it does look like a nice program...
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

anything