Author Topic: 2812 wind sensor not transmitting?  (Read 34434 times)

Offline weber

Re: 2812 wind sensor not transmitting?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »
I am guessing that it may be the problem. So if I need remove the wind vane to check on the batteries, how do I go about doing that? When you say "if you pull up on this mount shaft you'll break the internal L.E.D. wind direction assembly" how would i go about removing the vane?
Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide me...

ooops bad wording on my part.  You can pull up to remove the vane while the enclosure halves are still attached. Once they are unscrewed and separated and you then pull the vane off you could do the damage. So remove the vane first then carefully separate the enclosure halves.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

You are the best DanS   =D>  - I will let you know how surgery goes.

Here's a thread that may help down around post #10 some pretty good details to watch for.
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline weber

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »
Well an update Dan. I did open the Wind Sensor and found a corroded battery. I checked the batteries and they were good. Cleaned it all up, went through all the rig-ma-role and the wind sensor is still not being picked up by the console... :-(
Not sure where I need to go now...
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 01:38:09 AM »
Well an update Dan. I did open the Wind Sensor and found a corroded battery. I checked the batteries and they were good. Cleaned it all up, went through all the rig-ma-role and the wind sensor is still not being picked up by the console... :-(
If you haven't already, It may me worth pulling the circuit board out and checking the underside for the corrosion too. An old toothbrush with some rubbing alcohol works good to cleaning it all off. After that check to see if it ate through a circuit trace and re-connect it. Also check the battery contacts solder connections didn't open due to the corrosion. This happened to me. If you have a multi-meter you verify the circuit traces are good.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:40:22 AM by DanS »

Offline weber

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »
If you haven't already, It may me worth pulling the circuit board out and checking the underside for the corrosion too. An old toothbrush with some rubbing alcohol works good to cleaning it all off. After that check to see if it ate through a circuit trace and re-connect it. Also check the battery contacts solder connections didn't open due to the corrosion. This happened to me. If you have a multi-meter you verify the circuit traces are good.
I have the vane open now and noticed a 2 very strange "burn looking" spot under the optical thingy. Not sure if it is factory done or not.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:33:47 AM by weber »
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline weber

Re: 2812 wind sensor not transmitting? NOW FIXED
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
Thank you very much DanS and all the other posters that have addressed issues with the 2812 weather vane.  =D>
Last time apart I really lucked out and saw the TINY brass vane shaft bushing laying on my bench, ALSO on the bench I found the little membrane with graphite button inside that we push when we activate the vane from the outside.
These two pieces must be stay in place by reassembling the unit holding the bottom in working position and laying the top down until seated...I believe I may have tipped it upside down before it was together thereby the two pieces falling out of place.

SO recovering from the corroded battery (which did turn out to be bad) and assembly user error the Weather Station is back in working condition..YEAH!
BTW I used the original 1.5 alkaline and put in a new 1.2 NiMH...is working good.  \:D/
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline LeeWx

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 01:52:10 AM »
Good to know this as when mine fails I'll know how to repair it. Kudos !

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 2812 wind sensor not transmitting? NOW FIXED
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »
Thank you very much DanS and all the other posters that have addressed issues with the 2812 weather vane.  =D>
Last time apart I really lucked out and saw the TINY brass vane shaft bushing laying on my bench, ALSO on the bench I found the little membrane with graphite button inside that we push when we activate the vane from the outside.
These two pieces must be stay in place by reassembling the unit holding the bottom in working position and laying the top down until seated...I believe I may have tipped it upside down before it was together thereby the two pieces falling out of place.

SO recovering from the corroded battery (which did turn out to be bad) and assembly user error the Weather Station is back in working condition..YEAH!
BTW I used the original 1.5 alkaline and put in a new 1.2 NiMH...is working good.  \:D/

I'm not sure how long the battery swap will last as the 1.5v alkaline and the 1.2v NiMh batteries have different re-charge characteristics but sounds like you found the problem anyway. Good job!

Offline weber

HELP - Wind Sensor Battery Polarity ????
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
Inside the wind sensor of my WS 2812 due to battery corrosion AGAIN! I lost the battery polarity and do not visually remember what they were. Can anyone help me Please??? I can see one side but have not clue if the other side is flipped opposite or not... 
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »
I no longer have mine to refer to but I do remember that they were flipped opposite each other so if you have the polarity of one then the other is flipped around.

Offline weber

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »
Thank you Dan for the quick reply. With a magnifying glass and high lighting I was able to eek out one of the unknown polarities (they are reversed). Got it all back together and now back on line. Wow this battery corrosion thing is a pain the butt.
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 01:12:37 AM »
Yeah, between the brutal sun over here prematurely aging the plastic on mine to a battery corrosion issue as well, mine finally fell apart.  The corrosion on mine was worse on the other side of the board from the batteries. It ate through circuit traces that I had to rebuild. I gave up when the plastic housing kept drying out and cracking and letting rain in.
Glad you got yours going! :-)

Offline weber

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »
I see you have no wind speed or direction. You have not replaced the unit? Wonder if some of the newer stations have these problems...
Thanks again...
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 06:50:31 PM »
Yes I went back to the more reliable ws-2315. Never have any issues with this one. Wind just calm right now so nothing registering for the moment. :-)

Offline weber

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 12:43:22 AM »
I cannot remember if the 2812 Wind Sensor has AA or AAA batteries. Before I disassemble I want to order some 1.5v rechargeable batteries and replace them...guess lithium to get the voltage. Any special deals out there???

thank you
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 01:45:11 AM »
I cannot remember if the 2812 Wind Sensor has AA or AAA batteries. Before I disassemble I want to order some 1.5v rechargeable batteries and replace them...guess lithium to get the voltage. Any special deals out there???

thank you

AAA 1.5v. If you go on E-bay and do a search for "1.5 volt rechargeable batteries" you should see many choices in NiZn, LiPo, etc. There's pro's and con's to each type. I ordered some NiZn's several years ago for another part of my weather station and they're still humming along (but it never freezes here either).