Author Topic: 2812 wind sensor not transmitting?  (Read 34432 times)

Offline dlittle

2812 wind sensor not transmitting?
« on: October 29, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
Just rec'd and trying to install 2812
Have 'reset' the solar wind senor and followed all directions. The solar sensor is clear and has been sitting in the sun for 3 hrs
Console goes thru setup and I am see rain and temp but wind info shows ---- and no wind direction.

Have removed batteries, push the reset on the sensor and re-installed batteries.

Nothing.

Suggestions?

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: 2812 wind sensor not transmitting?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »
If it's anything like the 2810, try and get all the sensors (wind, rain, thermo) as close together at first.  Remove ALL batteries and press the reset button on the wind sensor. The 2810 was very sensitive to the placement of the sensors to start the sync up.  Also check the sync up button on the display.  It may take several tries, but that Lacrosse is one of more sensitive stations I've owned.  Keep trying.  If it still fails, call Lacrosse. 

Note:  One time I had to bring all the sensors back into the house to get it to work, then moved it carefully to the yard.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »
.. and also per VaJim's advice, be sure the batteries are installed in order where the display/console is the last to be powered, all sensors are powered first.

Offline wildjoe76

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »
Hi.  I had the same issue with mine.  I had to take it back to the store.

I worked on it for two days straight over the weekend,  finally took it apart, and was able to check the battery voltage without taking out the circuit board.  

The batteries were good,  so it was just a dead unit.   I did eventually take the circuit board out but it has an ir led plastic light pipe that breaks off when you remove the circuit board,  so don't do it or it really will be trash.  the light pipe goes on the other side of the wind direction indicator disk.

You can see the plastic light pipe mounting points when you pull the bottom cover off.  The mount points are melted onto the circuit board in through holes.  If you must take the circuit board out to see the batteries,  you really should warm these points up so they can pull through the holes instead of breaking off.

The batteries can be checked by taking the bottom cover off,  there is nothing that can be broke during this process.  THere is a tight gasket that holds it all together but i just used my finger nail to work the cover off as I worked my way around.   The batteries are on the other side of the circuit board but you can check the terminals with a volt meter.  Mine read 1.6 volts combined.  They are 1.4 volt batteries on the other side that are rechargable sould read  a little less than  3 volts fully charged.

One more tip from LaCrosse, is to keep the windsensor under a light for 24 hours and then see if it turns on.  I just got that tip while writing this message.   I wish they could have told me that when I called them last week.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:22:37 AM by wildjoe76 »

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »
I thought I heard that Lacrosse started putting some sort of sticker or label on the wind sensor assembly that basically said if you take it apart you will void the warranty.   :shock: :???:

I'm pretty sure the thing about putting the wind sensor under a light bulb is discussed in the instructions. :shock:

Personally I'm not clear on why anyone would want to take it apart, unless of course you have a high level of electrical circuitry skills. =D>
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:36:06 PM by VaJim »

Offline ke4d

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:21:01 PM »
My anemometer stopped transmitting several times today.  We had our first rainfall in months and all of a sudden the anemometer has become intermittent.  I'm hoping it was just two days of overcast with not enough sunlight to recharge the battery.  It has worked off and on all day and is currently off. Its dark, so I cannot test my theory until tomorrow!

John KE4D
KTXBRACK3

Offline ke4d

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 12:17:56 PM »
My anemometer worked for about four hours yesterday in full sunlight all day.  Then it stopped working again in the late afternoon.  No wind indications since late yesterday afternoon.  Bummer

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
Hopefully it isn't moisture in the wind sensor since you mentioned the problem started after the rain. Sounds mighty suspicious though. One thing you could try, remove the batteries in the outdoor thermo/hygro sensor, wait several seconds and re-install them (paying attention to their polarity/position). After a couple minutes, go back inside and do a resync on the console (up arrow pressed until beep). See if that gets you back in business.
I'm almost convinced that the orientation of the antenna in the thermo/hygro sensor in relation to the wind sensor play a part in this (with mine anyway). I've seen where mine will run 6 months or so with no data drop outs and then rotate the thermo/hygro several degrees and wind data may become intermittent. Rotate back to where it was and it becomes stable again. Antenna lobe patterns?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:22:04 AM by DanS »

Offline ke4d

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:23 PM »
Thanks Dan,
Yes, I understand antenna radiation patterns, I've been a Ham since 1974.  I did all of the reset stuff but finally had to go to a factory reset.  That is a real pain since I had the anemometer at about 16 feet off the ground.  It did work however and I since moved my anemometer back to the side yard where its only about five feet off the ground.  Its not where I want it but its a lot easier to get too!
I disassembled the anemometer to make sure all the solder connections were good and the internal batteries were charged.  The battery holder in the anemometer is a joke. I cannot believe the batteries don't simply fall out from simple handling.  Everything in the anemometer looked good, the voltages were fine and so I reassembled it, did the factory reset and I'm back in business.  I sure hope I don't have to do this often.  Its ok if I'm home but I travel a lot and having the thing go south when I'm away would annoy me greatly!
Thanks for the advice.

John KE4D :grin:

Offline pierce

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »
synching the 2812 is a pain.

i find the *ONLY* way I can get it all to play, is to take the console outside where everything else is.  pull batteries from console, thermo-whazza hub, rain gauge.    wait a minute.    insert batteries in rain gauge, push reset on wind thing, THEN insert batteries on the thermo-thing, and THEN insert batteries in console.    wait a few minutes til the console displays readings.    then bring the console back inside, and resync it with the heavyweather junkware (press down arrow for a couple secs til it beeps, and hit resync on heavyweather).

this is really a pain because I have my wind gauge up on a 30' (!) mast, as I live where there are heavy trees and wanted it as high as I could get it so i'd get something resembling wind.    I redid my mast mount so it was easier to bring it down for this reset process, we'll see how that goes.

and for bonus points, I had the rain gauge screwed down, so I have to unscrew it to pop its battery from the bottom.  wtf bad design is that?!?   I'm thinking of running some long thin bolts up through the mounting board, and using wing nuts on top instead.

ps.  when you attach the wind gauge to the mounting arm, make sure you push it on firmly enough to snap on completely.  once you do so, you won't get it off again without damaging it.   if you don't click it on properly, you may find your wind gauge on the ground with a broken wind cup.  DAMHIKIJD.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »
...glad to hear to you finally did get your 2812 to work.  For future reference, you may want to read the quick setup guide that should have come with the unit.  From reading your post it sounded like you performed the steps slightly out of order.  I have found the Lacrosse units very sensitive to sync.

I guess there's a reason they list them in this order:

1. It is important to allow sufficient light to reach the solar panel while activating the wind
sensor. Make sure the lights are on in the setup room and the solar panel is facing a 60W
light bulb or brighter - do not cover with hands or other objects. Remove the black
protective foil on the solar panel and use the provided plastic reset rod to gently press the
reset button once in the hole on the bottom of the sensor.
2. Insert two "AA" size batteries into the rain sensor with the correct polarity.
3. Insert two "C" size batteries into the thermo-hygro sensor with the correct polarity. Allow
sensors to run for two minutes.

4. Insert three "C" size batteries into the wireless display with the correct polarity.

..then wait 15 minutes.

Cheers! :-)

Offline jelyben

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
Just rec'd and trying to install 2812
Have 'reset' the solar wind senor and followed all directions. The solar sensor is clear and has been sitting in the sun for 3 hrs
Console goes thru setup and I am see rain and temp but wind info shows ---- and no wind direction.

Have removed batteries, push the reset on the sensor and re-installed batteries.

Nothing.

Suggestions?

How did you get yours to synch?

Offline pierce

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 01:15:46 AM »
the wind and rain communicate with the thermal/hydro, which acts as a hub, and it in turn communicates to the base station and display panel, which talks to the USB dongle.

the sensors have to be powered before the thermo-hydro thing so they can synch up, THEN power up the base station so it can sync with the thermo-thing.

Offline SiGGy

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 10:42:54 AM »
Sadly the anemometer stopped transmitting for us a few days ago.  According to the charts it started and stopped xmitting for a few hours.  Then went dead for about 12 hours.  Followed by it started working again for a  few hours.  And now it's just dead.  I'll try moving the temperature sensor closer to see if it helps before I pull out the ladder.

:(

I should note the unit died when the temps hit 110 here and there had not been rain for nearly a week prior.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:44:25 AM by SiGGy »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 06:13:53 PM »
Sadly the anemometer stopped transmitting for us a few days ago.  According to the charts it started and stopped xmitting for a few hours.  Then went dead for about 12 hours.  Followed by it started working again for a  few hours.  And now it's just dead.  I'll try moving the temperature sensor closer to see if it helps before I pull out the ladder.

:(

I should note the unit died when the temps hit 110 here and there had not been rain for nearly a week prior.

try a different location or position for the thermo/hygro sensor relative to the wind sensor's location. Line of site for the two sensors is preferred. Pull the batteries from the thermo/hygro sensor, wait a minute or two, then re-install them making sure their polarity is correct (might check their voltage with a multimeter while they're out). Wait around two or three minutes after re-installing these batteries for the two sensors to sync up with each other then go inside and do the sensor resync routine on the console/display. Should all come back after a couple of minutes. If by chance still no wind data do the same with the battery replacement in the thermo/hygro sensor but pull rhe batteries and re-install them for the console/display as well. Do this last, after the thermo/hygro. Hope you get it.

Offline SiGGy

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
It has line of sight.

The unit was working fine until we hit 110 degrees then it just crapped out.

The rain sensor is still transmitting fine.  I case you are not aware the hydro/temperature sensor receives data from both the anemometer (wind) and the rain sensor then it re-transmits the rain/wind data back to the main display.  So if the battery in the hydro/temperature was a problem it would also effect the rain sensor.

You can hold the up arrow (until it beeps) on the display to force a resync without needing to take the batteries out of the display.

The anemometer (wind) sensor was working perfect for 9 months, for it to randomly stop working but the rain sensor to keep working indicates that either A. the anemometer is not transmitting any longer, or B the hydro/temperature sensors receiver for the anemometer is no longer working correctly.  Odds are it's the anemometer that has died and is no longer transmitting.

To further check things I took it down from the roof.  Reset EVERYTHING including fresh batteries, it's still not working.

-David

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »
It has line of sight.

The unit was working fine until we hit 110 degrees then it just crapped out.

The rain sensor is still transmitting fine.  I case you are not aware the hydro/temperature sensor receives data from both the anemometer (wind) and the rain sensor then it re-transmits the rain/wind data back to the main display.  So if the battery in the hydro/temperature was a problem it would also effect the rain sensor.

You can hold the up arrow (until it beeps) on the display to force a resync without needing to take the batteries out of the display.

The anemometer (wind) sensor was working perfect for 9 months, for it to randomly stop working but the rain sensor to keep working indicates that either A. the anemometer is not transmitting any longer, or B the hydro/temperature sensors receiver for the anemometer is no longer working correctly.  Odds are it's the anemometer that has died and is no longer transmitting.

To further check things I took it down from the roof.  Reset EVERYTHING including fresh batteries, it's still not working.

-David
Not necessarily. You can have low batteries in the T/H sensor causing reception loss from the wind sensor and still the T/H has a connection with the rain gauge. I've seen this. I would try fresh alkalines with at least 1.5v each in the T/H sensor if you haven't already.
While you were in the wind sensor checking batteries, did you see any moisture under the circuit board? Big complaint from people with this type of station. (also pressed the "reset" button under it last after you did the battery replacement you mentioned?)
The "up arrow", outside sensor re-sync button, is not the same as pulling/re-installing the consoles batteries. The up arrow re-sync is a soft reset for the console to search for the outside sensors. The console battery re-insertion will also restart it's polling/search cycle and is a more thorough reset.

Offline ke4d

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »
My anemometer has died again. It has been working sporadically for the last month or so. When I posted my first complaint about this unit last year?, I just ordered a new one. Now its going south.  It makes no sense to me. The anemometer is line of site with the temp/humidity unit, about 30 feet away. Everything else is working fine.  I'm going to replace the batteries in the temp/humidity unit even though the software says they are ok.  We shall see what happens.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »
My anemometer has died again. It has been working sporadically for the last month or so. When I posted my first complaint about this unit last year?, I just ordered a new one. Now its going south.  It makes no sense to me. The anemometer is line of site with the temp/humidity unit, about 30 feet away. Everything else is working fine.  I'm going to replace the batteries in the temp/humidity unit even though the software says they are ok.  We shall see what happens.
That's a good 1st thing to do. If you have a meter to confirm the new batteries are good (1.5 volts or better), that would be good too. And be sure they are Alkaline. When you insert the new batteries in the sensor wait around 2 minutes then pull and reinstall the console batteries for a complete reset. You won't lose any data or console settings this way and the console will start it's search for the T/H sensor. Rain and wind sensor reset not needed.
If you notice the polling icon on the console for the wind sensor flashing together with the rain and T/H sensors you should be good to go. However if it flashes at different rates or goes blank for periods of time then there is still a chance for wind data drop out. If you have fresh batteries in the T/H sensor and see this erratic icon flash rate, I have found you can slowly rotate the T/H sensor where it is to change it's internal antenna relationship to the wind sensor. Rotate very small increments each time and go back to watch the icon until you find a position that gives steady icon flashes. I have had mine running smoothly for many months then turn the T/H sensor radiation shield a few degrees and start getting wind data drop outs. Rotate back to where it was and it will run fine again.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:09:04 AM by DanS »

Offline ke4d

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »
Yep, the voltage on the C cells in the temp/humidity unit was down to 1.3v so I changed them. The software says they are fine but the reality of a quick voltage check said they were not. After I changed the batteries in that unit, the anemometer reading popped back up and have been spot on for three days now.  I learned a valuable lesson, check the batteries and don't rely on the Heavy Weather software to tell you they are good.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 04:49:23 PM »
Yeah the console's firmware that monitors the battery levels in the sensors and console only reads and displays 2 states, good(full) and low. No in between.  HW software reads this information and shows full battery indicators or partial when they are low. I measured the console and the T/H batteries at .9 volts each when I get the low indicator. Still on the original rain gauge batteries since Dec. 09 so haven't measured them yet.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:03:48 PM by DanS »

Offline weber

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
Does anyone know if the battery is bad in the Wind Sensor will it transmit. Mine was working fine and then stopped. It is not being received by the console and I have tried all the different restart things to do...no transmission...no wifi symbol. Rain and outdoor temp are working...
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »
The wind sensor uses 2 rechargeable alkalines (1.5v each when fully charged) and transmits to the outdoor temp/hygro sensor where it's data is combined with the rain, temp and humidity and sent to the console. If you have had sunny days and it still is not transmitting then you may have to open it up to check for oxidation on the battery contacts. If you do open the wind sensor be sure to remove the wind vane first to slide the cover over the wind vane mount shaft first. If you pull up on this mount shaft you'll break the internal L.E.D. wind direction detector assembly.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:08:49 PM by DanS »

Offline weber

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 11:50:05 PM »
If you do open the wind sensor be sure to remove the wind vane first to slide the cover over the wind vane mount shaft first. If you pull up on this mount shaft you'll break the internal L.E.D. wind direction detector assembly.
I am guessing that it may be the problem. So if I need remove the wind vane to check on the batteries, how do I go about doing that? When you say "if you pull up on this mount shaft you'll break the internal L.E.D. wind direction assembly" how would i go about removing the vane?
Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide me...
Have Fun!
Bradley

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 12:31:30 AM »
I am guessing that it may be the problem. So if I need remove the wind vane to check on the batteries, how do I go about doing that? When you say "if you pull up on this mount shaft you'll break the internal L.E.D. wind direction assembly" how would i go about removing the vane?
Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide me...

ooops bad wording on my part.  You can pull up to remove the vane while the enclosure halves are still attached. Once they are unscrewed and separated and you then pull the vane off you could do the damage. So remove the vane first then carefully separate the enclosure halves.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Here's a thread that may help down around post #10 some pretty good details to watch for.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:38:53 AM by DanS »

anything