Author Topic: Accessing Data on the LAN  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Accessing Data on the LAN
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »
My system used to have everything on a Big Daddy all in one computer.

Then I mapped out my needs:

One print server always available for printing, as the printers are located in the loft.
Weather data server connected to an Envoy, always on for uploading to WU and CWOP
BD) computer I use for everything else which hibernates when not in use.

BD crashed hard and therefore I decided to put the weather on a simple (to fix) stable server.  So I put the weather data, weatherlink, and printers on a low power no monitor but extremely stable server.  

If I wanted to check out the data I had three choices: 1) Go online to WU, 2) go online CWOP or 3) head up stairs and plug in a monitor and evaluate the data on the server via weatherlink.  I could also check out the data on the vantage pro 2 console which is right next to the BD computer.

However, there is another option.  I could use a copy of weatherlink on BD and evaluate the data. The data would never be older than 15 minutes (I use 15 minute download intervals).  I can use everything on the BD weatherlink except the Bulletin and live strip charts. I put the data on a shared folder on the server and direct the BD Weatherlink to that folder.

I had another licensed version of Weatherlink (upgraded) from an older Davis weather station (Weather Monitor II). If not for that, technically I would have had to purchase another user license of Weatherlink for for $25.

Anyway just putting out there that here are multiple ways of accessing your Davis Data.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:09:29 PM by kaymann »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Accessing Data on the LAN
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:41:05 PM »
Or RDP into the wx computer.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »
Remote Desktop is an option but I wanted to leave the server as stable as possible - meaning leave it alone - least invasive as possible.  Does RD take many resources?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
It runs as a service and is very light weight.  I use it all the time at work and home.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »
Good thoughts.

I am personally a big fan of TightVNC for remote access to a workstation/server.  IMHO it is superior to RDP.....