Author Topic: Weather Underground features  (Read 2987 times)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Weather Underground features
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:40:39 AM »
I've noticed recently that WU has been changing the personal weather station pages... different formatting and presentation...

I hadn't noticed before, but now they've got links for xml station data--is that new?

In any case, might that be useful somehow, either for personal use, or for data grabbing?

I only run Weatherlink, but understand that other software has the ability to map/present data from surrounding weather stations?

Could using the xml data be a way for anyone, with any software, to present data from other stations? I assume you'd need some sort of parsing program, php if you've got a paid web host, or something like javascript for others like me that are dragging their feet and still using free hosting...?  :)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
Re: Weather Underground features
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 03:25:06 AM »
Wow, they redesigned the whole page.  I never noticed the xml link there before so it must be new however, I just tried plugging in the link into my RSS parsing program and got the message: "Unknown document format."  When I look at the xml file, it looks like there is some xml header stuff missing.  Maybe they are still working on it.  But, if they had the xml header stuff in the file, you could use it with an RSS parsing program to whip up yor own weather stickies and whatever.  I also see they created some smaller sized Rabid Fire stickies.  Hmmmmmmm...