Author Topic: Atlas Display Periodically Loses Signal  (Read 9438 times)

Offline Neil_O

Atlas Display Periodically Loses Signal
« on: February 22, 2019, 07:05:13 AM »
I have an Atlas with coupled to both an Atlas display and an Access unit.  The outdoor sensor is no more than 100 feet from the display with only one wood-frame wall and no electrical sources between the two.  The Atlas display periodically loses connection with the outdoor unit.  This does not happen often - maybe once a week or so.  What's strange is that the vast majority of the time the display shows maximum signal strength (4 bars).  Over the course of a couple of hours, the signal will literally go from 4 bars, to no signal and no updates, and then back to 4 bars.  This happens when no other conditions change (weather, obstructions, etc.).  This loss of signal NEVER happens with the Access unit which is located in the same room as the Atlas display.  This leads me to believe that the issue is with the display itself and not with the outdoor unit.

I'm very interested in anyone's thoughts as to what could be causing this and if there's anything I can do to eliminate the periodic signal drops.

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
Re: Atlas Display Periodically Loses Signal
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:43:38 AM »
Sorry I don’t have any advice. My signal frustrations with the atlas led to me returning the system.

Offline tdess99

• Springwood Estates, Belle Chasse, LA
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:06:16 AM »
One thing that worked for me was moving my Alexa device further away from the Atlas Access and Display. Or you may be getting interference from some other electronic devices. Its worth a try to experiment with different locations and even turning the Access itself may help.
Good luck!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:40:45 AM »
The display is very sensitive. I had to move mine onto a table that was lower down. I had the display about 3 ft higher, and it would loose signal constantly. Once I moved it and turned the antenna about halfway down, it does OK. It still drops once in a while though.
Watch the Access in action by clicking the Wunderground banner below. If yours isn't updating like mine does, it will also need to be moved around.

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »
I have the same problem, mine is about 50 feet away, with 2 walls in between. My Access is further away maybe 75 feet & doesn't seem to have a problem. Mine actually loses it many times a day probably lasting for anywhere from a few minutes to 30 minutes or more, although I don't sit and time it. Someone mentioned the Acurite Signal Extender helped, anyone else feel it's helped resolve this problem?

Offline radioman61

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »
My display lives with the antenna folded down, I always show full signal strength.  Also getting consistent good signal to the Access which is even farther away.

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  All of the suggestions seem to revolve around re-configuring the antenna or relocating the display.  I will try some of these, but I still find it strange the signal strength drifts up and down when no conditions are changing.  Is there some flaw in the way that Acurite configures their units?  Do other brands of weather stations have sporadic signal issues?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  All of the suggestions seem to revolve around re-configuring the antenna or relocating the display.  I will try some of these, but I still find it strange the signal strength drifts up and down when no conditions are changing.  Is there some flaw in the way that Acurite configures their units?  Do other brands of weather stations have sporadic signal issues?

How do you know "no conditions are changing"?

The radio systems (i.e. non-spread spectrum) used by Acurite and Ambient are very simple and have little ability to "adapt" to changing conditions.

More advanced systems use spread-spectrum techniques to get their signal through more difficult conditions.  In our modern world, there are all sorts of noise and interference sources.  It's hardly "non-changing".

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:20:21 AM by nincehelser »

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 01:42:15 AM »

How do you know "no conditions are changing"?

The radio systems (i.e. non-spread spectrum) used by Acurite and Ambient are very simple and have little ability to "adapt" to changing conditions.

More advanced systems use spread-spectrum techniques to get their signal through more difficult conditions.  In our modern world, there are all sorts of noise and interference sources.  It's hardly "non-changing".

So with all of these spread-spectrum signals causing the problem, does this mean random signal drops are the best performance one can expect with Acurite and Ambient units?  Interesting that this problem never happens with the Access unit only a few feet away from the display and receiving the same signal.

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 07:29:23 AM »
It might be interesting & helpful to conduct an informal poll to see how many are having this problem. Also, anyone resolve this problem by using a signal extender?

Offline karlzemlin

• The weather at my house
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »
I've had the Access for right at one year.  It was working without issue with my 5-in-1 until a little over a month ago when my tower failed and the 5-in-1 was smashed.

My Atlas has been up for about 3 weeks now.  My first display had issues with cold start up and the display was replaced under warranty.  The new display and the Access have worked flawlessly with the Atlas.  My house is wood-framed with brick skin.  My sensor is on a tower, so structures between the sensor and the access would be the roof with asphalt shingles, drywall ceiling, and one or two drywall interior walls.  Signal strength displayed does vary, but I have not witnessed a lost connection.  It's usually strong, but I have seen it dip to no bars displayed.  The access has always shown a signal strength of 4 when I've checked it.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
What's the distance?
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline karlzemlin

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »
Maybe about 50'

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 12:45:54 PM »
When you had the display replaced, did you write to AcuRite or call them? Did you have to ship out the old display first?

Offline karlzemlin

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »
I submitted a support ticket online.  I did not return the defective display, but I did need to provide photos demonstrating visual evidence of the problem - which wasn't hard because the screen was blank on startup.  I suspect different issues may get different treatment.

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 07:34:45 AM »
My display lives with the antenna folded down, I always show full signal strength.  Also getting consistent good signal to the Access which is even farther away.

Thanks for this suggestion.  After reading your post, I decided to give it a try with the display antenna folded down (about the only configuration I hadn't tried).  It's now been about 3 weeks, and I have observed zero instances of lost signal to the display.  I have to admit that I'm surprised, but this certainly seems to have worked for my installation.  Thanks again.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »
I've got mine down also. It works best this way for me too. I guess it picks up too much interference with the antenna out.

Offline Bswartz95

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 03:54:27 PM »
I’ve had my Atlas for about a month. The display loses signal several times a day and comes back randomly.  The display is in line of site with the sensor (one wall/window) - about 40 feet away.  Seems like I’m not alone. 

Going to try putting the antenna down.
Ambient WS-2000
WU: KOHBLACK25
CWOP: FW7605

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »
I’ve had my Atlas for about a month. The display loses signal several times a day and comes back randomly.  The display is in line of site with the sensor (one wall/window) - about 40 feet away.  Seems like I’m not alone. 

Let us know if this works.  Putting the antenna down solved about 95% of my signal loss issues.

Offline Bswartz95

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »

Let us know if this works.  Putting the antenna down solved about 95% of my signal loss issues.

Continues to drop signal.  It's been nonstop today.  I'm returning the Atlas.  Going a different direction.  Maybe the Davis Vue.
Ambient WS-2000

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 05:53:01 PM »

Maybe the Davis Vue.
If you can swing it, I highly suggest a VP2 for many reasons.

Offline Bswartz95

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 05:56:22 PM »

Maybe the Davis Vue.
If you can swing it, I highly suggest a VP2 for many reasons.
Do I need to shell out for a console or will the sensor and weatherlink suffice?  The weatherlink can be connected via ethernet from what I'm reading.  Not sure I'd need the console. Thougts?

I really wanted to like the Atlas.  The connection was just awful no matter what we tried.
Ambient WS-2000

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »
The Atlas has been trouble stricken from day one, be one thing or another. You may get a "good one" or you may not.

As far as a console, you can buy the ISS with or without one, but you'll need some kind of "substitute" to get online. I'm not particularly up-to-date with all the options as I still use a console and a 24/7 laptop. Others will chime in more knowing than me about your various options.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
Has anyone resolved the signal & display issue?  Anyone contacted Acurite?  What did they say/do?

Offline bluemagnum

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 06:36:22 PM »
I have the same problem, varying signal but perfect on the Access, the display eventually just froze on the splash screen, tried everything including the "black button" to kick it to life but nothing!!!!    I had a 5in1 with not a squeak of problems, went to Atlas with nothing but problems, got onto Acurite with great help until I told them I bought it on Ebay, brand new in a sealed box from their warehouse, that was it....no more help, then like an idiot bought another new display on eBay and here we are 4 days later with the same problem, fluctuating signal but perfect on the Access, (in the same room as the display) I just put new batteries in the sensor which bounced it back to 4 bars, but 20 minutes later the bars have dropped to 0-1, should have kept my Davis setup, 8 years in the Arizona heat with new batteries every year and NOT a problem ever, almost ready to bundle it all up and put it on eBay, then go back to Davis!

anything