Author Topic: Anemometer readout quit, wind direction still works  (Read 355 times)

Offline gsfarm

• gsfarm weather
  • Farm weather
    • gsfarm weather web site
Anemometer readout quit, wind direction still works
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »
Model 6152 Wireless VP2, about a year and a half old, noticed some zeros on the wind speed a couple of days ago (was a windy day), then noticed this am no reading at all for wind speed. Seemed to quit about 24 hours ago, then a single spike in the graph around 18 hours ago, then flat-line since then. Just came back from checking the lower part of the cable and connection in the ISS, unplugged and plugged in several times to clean contacts on the RJ11 and no change. Wind cups are turning freely in the breeze so certainly not a bearing issue.

Suppose the failure modes are bad cable, bad sensor, and maybe an issue with the ISS circuit board. It's cold, windy, and occasionally drizzling now so not thinking of climbing the 50' tower to access the anemometer today. The ISS is accessible, any recommendations where to start troubleshooting?
-G.

edit:
Found my old VP anemometer assembly and plugged it in. It works and I am getting wind/direction indication. This would indicate a problem with the new anemometer/cable assembly. Will have to remove it on a nice day... if we get one before winter sets in... Funny these things break at the worst times...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:15:58 PM by gsfarm »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Anemometer readout quit, wind direction still works
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
Search here (within WXForum) for 'anemometer + test' for posts specifically by member WXTech.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:50:13 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline gsfarm

• gsfarm weather
  • Farm weather
    • gsfarm weather web site
Re: Anemometer readout quit, wind direction still works
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:17:32 PM »
Yes did that, certainly finds this thread in a hurry.
See above, think I have my work cut out..

Search here (within WXForum) for 'anemometer + test' for posts specifically by memeber WXTech.

anything