Author Topic: Facebook Hacked  (Read 1722 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Facebook Hacked
« on: October 12, 2018, 10:53:50 PM »
What do you know Facebook in the news again about being hacked. Seems like just yesterday Zuckerberg was testifying in Congress for fixing news stories. Facebook has always stated then and before that their user's privacy was important to them. I'd say that is hard to believe.

I've heard from today's high school kids that Facebook is for old people. They are into other social networks like snapchat and Instagram (yes I know it's owned by Facebook, but I wonder if they know that).

The hack was supposedly only 30 million users. Maybe that is considered nothing compared to the full user base. I still think 30 million is a lot of people though.

Are any of you big Facebook users? How does this affect your views of this service?  Has anyone quit Facebook and then did you miss it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:16:49 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Facebook Hacked
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:04:21 AM »
I need to use FB for one  organization that involves me.  I hate it.  Kids are right:  FB is for geezers.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »
I need to use FB for one  organization that involves me.  I hate it.  Kids are right:  FB is for geezers.

Hey!  I resemble that remark!   #-o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:16:59 AM »
^^  Modem better yet?

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »

Hey!  I resemble that remark!   #-o

Me too...and I have never used FB in my life!  There's news headlines all over the web titled "How to tell if your Farcebook account was one of the hacked ones," and I smugly chuckle secure in the knowledge that a non-existent account can't be hacked.

Funny story - my mother and siblings ask me whenever I see them why I do not respond to their Farcebook messages.  Apparently, they are all friends with a stranger who has my name on FB.  Last Christmas, I suggested that they invite Farcebook me to Christmas, to see if he is more fun than I am.  Of course, I would stay home, in case Farcebook me turns out to be an axe murderer.....  :roll:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
I rarely use facebook.

I just deleted my weather station facebook page because it will not accept anything from Twitter. Even after I did iffft. Deleted the entire account. Not sure if I will make a new page.

Also, I got tired of some thinking that I made decisions about school closures. It is Minnesota. We don't need to close because of snow. Most of those that complained SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN SCHOOL ANYWAY.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »
I rarely use facebook.

I just deleted my weather station facebook page because it will not accept anything from Twitter. Even after I did iffft. Deleted the entire account. Not sure if I will make a new page.

Also, I got tired of some thinking that I made decisions about school closures. It is Minnesota. We don't need to close because of snow. Most of those that complained SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN SCHOOL ANYWAY.

Chief-David, I never saw your Facebook page because I’m not on Facebook, but I enjoy checking your Robbinsdale Middle School page now and then.  It’s great that you give your students this opportunity to learn about science and the weather.  MEA weekend is coming up, and I salute you and all the many fine teachers for your good work.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Kids like what I do. Many get interested in it because I am interested in it.

Been a tough few weeks. My building had a young teacher pass away from cancer last week. Services next Friday. Kids and staff taking it hard.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
Sorry to hear.  My condolences.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 08:34:41 AM »
So sorry to hear that David.

I check FB maybe once a week. I'm more active in the winter for ski conditions and updates from the local NWS offices.

The algorithms on Facebook are odd. I've found if you like a post from someone, you'll then see a lot more of what they post.

I find social media in general to be a strange distraction. I find it odd that it's now considered news when something goes viral or blows up. It's then forgotten about 12 hours later. I still prefer traditional forums over FB. I guess that's just how I started using the internet back in the late 90s.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »
Usenet rules!  (And before then, the good only 14.4kbps BBSes)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 05:15:04 PM »
I did set up an account  to try and reach out to some high school buddies but realized that was 40 years ago.
Things change. :-(
I still have the account but i rarely use it. 
Mostly just use it for commenting on music from Deep Tracks from Sirus/XM and also for a local police blotter page so I can keep up with things in the community.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »
In my dotage I've simplified my life significantly, I don't have an iPhone, just an old flip phone that's in the car for emergencies. I don't Fakebook, I don't tweet, I don't twitter and I don't pass gas in public. I find I'm as popular as never and I sleep like a baby.

Oh, another thing, 11 years ago I got a Vonage phone with a number is an Austin suburb before moving to Mexico. In the first 6 months I got the usual junk calls and I told them where I was and to take me off their list. Apparently there is a "don't call this MXN recluse" list because the calls stopped. Even after moving back up here NOB 4 years ago my phone is sanitized, no junk calls - life B good!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 01:11:13 PM »
Oh, another thing, 11 years ago I got a Vonage phone with a number is an Austin suburb before moving to Mexico. In the first 6 months I got the usual junk calls and I told them where I was and to take me off their list. Apparently there is a "don't call this MXN recluse" list because the calls stopped. Even after moving back up here NOB 4 years ago my phone is sanitized, no junk calls - life B good!

That is a neat trick. So all you have to do is tell telemarketers that you are in Mexico and then your number gets sanitized! Amazing! Like then your number gets updated in databases that get sold and resold and you are excluded because of this. This is a wonderful revelation, I might have to try that for the calls that get through my call protection setup. I too have a Vonage home number that I've had for over 10 years. I want to get rid of it but my wife likes the number (I don't use it). And we get telemarketer calls just about every day because the National Do Not Call Registry does not work.

But I found a new solution to telemarketers. I use Nomorobo on my home Vonage line. It catches about 95% of the telemarketers. It only rings once and then it stops automatically. If Nomorobo recognizes the call as a telemarketer (spammer, scammer..etc) it intercepts the call and makes it stop ringing. So we now only have to answer the phone if it rings a 2nd time. Nomorobo is free. Works pretty well. I recommend checking it out and setting up a free account. All you need is for your phone service to support simultaneous ringing. The way it works is that Vonage rings your home phone and the Nomorobo service at the same time. If Nomorobo recognizes the number it intercepts the call and hangs up on them before the 2nd ring.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:13:37 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »
I have never and will never join any social media.  It's all a complete waste of a good life.  The one and only life we all get.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 11:35:22 PM »
How does Nomorobo  handle CID spoofing (to a local number)?

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 04:58:09 AM »
Usenet rules!  (And before then, the good only 14.4kbps BBSes)

I ran a BBS in the Atlanta area many years ago.  As far as I can recall, I was the first one (in Atlanta) to run at 2400 bps!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:01:08 AM by rdsman »
Ray

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 06:11:25 AM »
How does Nomorobo  handle CID spoofing (to a local number)?

For a land line (like Vonage), Nomorobo is thinking about it and are working on a better solution. For now they are asking that you manually report those calls.
https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016100171-What-is-Neighbor-Spoofing-

For mobile they are using your contacts to whitelist those.
https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001757283-About-Unblockable-Robocalls

Tele-Pole

anything