Author Topic: Can the general public view weatherlink 2.0 data?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline justin470

Can the general public view weatherlink 2.0 data?
« on: September 29, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »
I have been searching around but can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

In addition to my home weather station, I also maintain a weather station for the City I work for. Many of our citizens view our data on the web and on the app. We have been doing this for years…..

Is this still possible with the 2.0 version.

If so, I can’t find a way to do it.

Thanks,

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Can the general public view weatherlink 2.0 data?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »
By default all stations in Weatherlink 2.0 are Private unless you change them to be Public.
In Weatherlink 2.0 go to the Device Configuration page (Wrench icon in the top right, under your username).
Then change the status from Private to Public with the Weatherlink Network type drop down.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline justin470

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »
Thanks!

I have it set to public. Is it possible to send out a link that would allow anyone to view the data?

Or do they have to have an account?

I tried entering the link to my data on another computer and it would not work.

There are lots of us in local goverment that have been using this and it looks like we are all getting ready to have lots of unhappy customers.

Justin

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:01:28 PM »
Looks to me like you have to have an account and log in for the [bulletin dashboard] link to work.

What about just using Weather Underground?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:25:59 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline justin470

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
We might have to do that.

The "basic" page on the old weatherlink was very easy for the non-weather person to use.

Most of our citizens were just interested in the current temperature or wanted to know how much it rained.

Justin

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:22:14 PM by PaulMy »

Offline justin470

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
Thanks Paul!

That is exactly what I was looking for!

Justin

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »
Looks to me like you have to have an account and log in for the [bulletin dashboard] link to work.

That's correct. But don't forget that an account is free, and easy to set up - just needs the usual email address, user name and password of your choice. There's no requirement or obligation beyond that.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »
Good one...Still too bad the bulletin dashboard doesn't work without login.
Tele-Pole

Offline justin470

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 03:38:03 PM »
I agree. Just makes it more difficult to use for our application.

Glad to know it can still be done.

However, it is not as user friendly.

For what its worth its disipoitning they had to change it....

Justin

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »
For what its worth its disipoitning they had to change it....

I don't disagree, but there is one important reason why a change was needed: With 2.0 it's possible to have several/many stations listed under one account, so you cannot just use the account username as the identifier in a station URL as was done in 1.0 - it doesn't uniquely identify a station. Whether the best solution has been chosen is a separate debate but I can understand the problem.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »
Exactly the same could have been done with WL 2.0 as the WL 1.0 blue clouds and summary page (or could have even been improved) and it has nothing to do with a single account and multiple stations as there is a unique identifier for each station in WL 2.0 and essentially no different to WL 1.0 just that Davis has decided to reduce the capability down to 3 miserable links which don't provide anything additional over each other, just formatted/sized differently.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:58:26 PM by Mattk »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »
The other thing I find rather tacky with what external links are provided is the "Shop Weather Stations at blah blah blah" so do paid subscriptions get rid of this? At least WL 1.0 was much more appropriate and professional in this regard     

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
Exactly the same could have been done with WL 2.0 as the WL 1.0 blue clouds and summary page (or could have even been improved) and it has nothing to do with a single account and multiple stations as there is a unique identifier for each station in WL 2.0...

That's conflating two separate issues though. One is how to identify an individual station and the second is how linkable or embeddable data is displayed.

There wasn't really a satisfactory way of identifying a station uniquely in 1.0. What you're thinking of I suspect is the username used in 1,0. One problem (there are others) is that users often tended to use a place name as their user name, which is fine until of course people move house or the location of the station. Then they want to change their user name, which raises various complications. Better to have an absolute way of identifying the station and the only easy option there is the DID, which is what's been done.

That said, there's no obvious reason why a URL like wl.com/DID or wl.com/stations/DID couldn't have been used eg for the embed and personally I think that would have been more transparent, though admittedly a MAC address (DID) is scarcely simpler to remember than a UUID-type string.

On the second point, what the webpage looked like that URL pointed to is a separate debate. Retaining the blue sky page would certainly have been one option though a lot of users complained that was too big or too clunky and didn't contain enough detail. Guess you really can't please all the people all the time.

I do genuinely think that the Davis developers have been busy in recent months preparing for migration and sorting out all sorts of admin processes and screens which users don't see. I'd be hopeful that in 2019 once the migration is done and dusted then there'll be further new features introduced, perhaps including new formats for the embeds.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:50:15 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline JimFeet

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 06:49:32 PM »
I have to agree with MattK. My station provides useful information to our small community where temperature and rainfall can vary widely less than a mile away. Apparently, unless you're willing to fork out upgrade cash, WeatherLink 2.0 seems to have largely crippled my ability to easily share meaningful up-to-date data with the public. The embedded URL provides only the equivalent of My Weather, compared to what had previously been available from the Summary screen available from any WeatherLink 1.0 station.

Hopefully Davis will rethink some of these decisions and restore features that have been central to its user base.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »
If they don't then some will do it for them and maybe Davis will take note of what is happening outside their internally controlled WL 2.0. 

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35189.0;topicseen

Offline sambagdrrmo

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2020, 04:36:00 AM »
Hi can someone make an embedded code of this weather station for me, thanks to you in advance guys.

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/18af5494-6815-497e-91ca-351de6e31b1a