Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?  (Read 20664 times)

Offline John Z

Re: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
DoctorKnow,

Mine arrived about 10 days ago. Beyond that,  I know nothing. Sorry.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »
DoctorKnow,

Mine arrived about 10 days ago. Beyond that,  I know nothing. Sorry.
What do you get with it? Another display and Access?

Offline John Z

« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
DoctorKnow,

I'm puzzled, too.

I just put the beta lightning module into the production unit, pulling the batteries first so that a full reboot and recalibrate cycle would happen on power up. I'm still getting the occasional false detection. SMH.

An old engineer saying: It's seldom the things you engineer that bite you. It's the things you don't...

The production unit came with a display and a lightning module, no Access.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 09:29:55 AM by John Z »

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2018, 09:58:26 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm one of the rat to test acurite atlas product from India. Just bought acurite atlas  and getting 100s of false lightening day & night continuously. In addition to the false lightening issue, any any noticed incorrect rainfall rate displayed in atlas HD display. It is just showing the accumulated rainfall reading as rain rate like wunderground website. For example if it receives rainfall as 0.51mm, then rain rate would be displayed as 0.51 mm/hr and if the reading is 4.56 mm, then rainfall rate is 4.56 mm/hr. I have used weather display software with 5 in 1 weather station and it was superb in showing rain rate. Atlas developers could have just applied that formula to calculate rain rate.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm one of the rat to test acurite atlas product from India. Just bought acurite atlas  and getting 100s of false lightening day & night continuously. In addition to the false lightening issue, any any noticed incorrect rainfall rate displayed in atlas HD display. It is just showing the accumulated rainfall reading as rain rate like wunderground website. For example if it receives rainfall as 0.51mm, then rain rate would be displayed as 0.51 mm/hr and if the reading is 4.56 mm, then rainfall rate is 4.56 mm/hr. I have used weather display software with 5 in 1 weather station and it was superb in showing rain rate. Atlas developers could have just applied that formula to calculate rain rate.

There is nothing wrong with the rain rate you are seeing. It is just that there is more than one way of reporting rain rate. It is up to the manufacturer's software to make available one method or another or both. It means different things depending on which method is being used. One method is actual (for the past hour) as in historical and the other method is projected or instant rain rate sort of like a speedometer. See more explanation here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35084.msg360650#msg360650
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:24:08 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
You beta testers did you see this false lightning problem with the test/beta units?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
Hi Guys,

There is nothing wrong with the rain rate you are seeing. It is just that there is more than one way of reporting rain rate. It is up to the manufacturer's software to make available one method or another or both. It means different things depending on which method is being used. One method is actual (for the past hour) as in historical and the other method is projected or instant rain rate sort of like a speedometer. See more explanation here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35084.msg360650#msg360650

Thanks for the reply.. At least they could have given USB access through software like pc-connect/Weather display since myacurite is one of the junk interface. Really I'm unhappy customer with atlas. False lightening continuously happening.  Do you have any idea about the use of micro USB port in HD display? Is there any way we can use that port to connect third party software?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2018, 10:38:14 AM »
 harishkumar1990,

I don't think anyone has tried to hook up the Atlas HD display to see if there is any data that would flow through it... I assumed the port was just dead. Maybe someone can try?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »
harishkumar1990,

I don't think anyone has tried to hook up the Atlas HD display to see if there is any data that would flow through it... I assumed the port was just dead. Maybe someone can try?

It's been tried. No Data through USB port. The USB port is only for manufacturer use. It is possible that this could change, but I doubt it unless things radically change at Chaney.
Tele-Pole

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
harishkumar1990,

I tried to connect it with laptop but it is not even getting detected. May be some driver needed to make the port active. Hope some genius will come up with hack to connect atlas display to third party software especially software like weather display. Really missing rain rate instead of accumulated rainfall which I use with 5 in 1 weather station.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
I tried with meteobridge, and it wouldn't detect anything either...

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2018, 06:26:47 AM »
Hey guys,

My device got another issue. It looks aspirating fan in my new atlas device is not running. I could not hear any motor/fan running sound in the device even in 33 degree C.
Also device temperature spike higher than my old 5 in 1 weather station. Is there any way to check if it is actually running apart from hearing fan running sound?
Not getting response sooner from acurite support team, hence posting the query here. Thanks.

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2018, 08:06:27 AM »
Yes.  You can manually remove the cover at the bottom of the pagoda that covers the temperature/humidity sensors and the remove the "cage" that houses the sensors.  Both of these just clip in - no tools are required for removal.  Once you've done this, you'll be able to see the aspirating fan.

When I received a replacement Atlas, my fan was also not running.  It turned out to be an issue with the solar panels, not the fan.  I simply removed the housing that holds the solar panels, removed and re-attached the electrical connector and straightened all of the wires at the connector and on the backs of the solar panels.  After that, the panels sent voltage to the fan and the fan now runs. I can't guarantee that this will work for you, but it worked for me.

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
Yes.  You can manually remove the cover at the bottom of the pagoda that covers the temperature/humidity sensors and the remove the "cage" that houses the sensors.  Both of these just clip in - no tools are required for removal.  Once you've done this, you'll be able to see the aspirating fan.

When I received a replacement Atlas, my fan was also not running.  It turned out to be an issue with the solar panels, not the fan.  I simply removed the housing that holds the solar panels, removed and re-attached the electrical connector and straightened all of the wires at the connector and on the backs of the solar panels.  After that, the panels sent voltage to the fan and the fan now runs. I can't guarantee that this will work for you, but it worked for me.

Thanks Neil. Let me try this in my device and update here.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
Something might be misaligned preventing the fan from turning
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline beamd

« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »
I'm starting to see reports of bad/loose solar wiring, I don't have one to look at now as I have returned 2 due to false lightning strikes, but could there possibly be bad connections leading to arcing at the connections that would cause this problem? All my test concluded that if the solar panels are not getting sun no false lightning strikes and if the solar panels are not connected no false lightning strikes.  Does anyone still have a unit with false lightning strikes that they could inspect the wiring on?

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2018, 09:42:01 PM »
I didn't remove the solar panels from the housing but, to me, the soldering where the wires connect to the solar panels was really messy.  It sort of looked like cold soldering (not enough heat during soldering).  I even had trouble reading the panel voltage with a good multimeter.

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2018, 07:09:23 AM »
Really had a tough time with new atlas AWS. Initially False lightening started and found it was due to lift sound. After moving AWS to different location, false lightning strikes completely stopped.
Then temperature was shooting up like rocket since aspirating fan was not running. Today opened the sensor to check if FAN is properly connected with solar panel and found one wire was disconnected from the board due to poor soldering. When trying to solder that, another wire connected to solar panel got removed. Somehow made all the wire connection to stick properly and fan started working. Now false lightening strike started hitting in display continuously. Removed the lightning detector and thrown it in dustbin. As suspected by many, aspirating fan is causing the false lightening strikes.
After mounting the sensor in pole, it was not detected by atlas HD display. Later removed the battery and put it back, everything started working. Not sure what is going to happen next!!

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2018, 07:54:57 AM »
Really had a tough time with new atlas AWS. Initially False lightening started and found it was due to lift sound. After moving AWS to different location, false lightning strikes completely stopped.
Then temperature was shooting up like rocket since aspirating fan was not running. Today opened the sensor to check if FAN is properly connected with solar panel and found one wire was disconnected from the board due to poor soldering. When trying to solder that, another wire connected to solar panel got removed. Somehow made all the wire connection to stick properly and fan started working. Now false lightening strike started hitting in display continuously. Removed the lightning detector and thrown it in dustbin. As suspected by many, aspirating fan is causing the false lightening strikes.
After mounting the sensor in pole, it was not detected by atlas HD display. Later removed the battery and put it back, everything started working. Not sure what is going to happen next!!

If the fan is the cause, and after looking at the great tear-down images (https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35220.msg360501#msg360501), would I be correct that the Atlas sensor itself would have to be replaced if the repair is a replacement aspirating fan?
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »

If the fan is the cause, and after looking at the great tear-down images (https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35220.msg360501#msg360501), would I be correct that the Atlas sensor itself would have to be replaced if the repair is a replacement aspirating fan?

Acurite has to open mouth on this issue. Simply they can back out atlas sensor from the field.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »
I didn't remove the solar panels from the housing but, to me, the soldering where the wires connect to the solar panels was really messy.  It sort of looked like cold soldering (not enough heat during soldering).  I even had trouble reading the panel voltage with a good multimeter.
I've got a 5 in 1 here that I just bought that has cold soldering. I am still trying to find exactly where it is, since my signal pops in and out. When I finger some of the chips on the board, the signal will go for a while, and then it just stops... I've been over it with a soldering iron already one time, looks like when I get a change I will have to do it again, but I have narrowed it down to 3 little chips and a crystal.

I just wonder if these things are being soldered in China? The fine offset stations are known for poor soldering as well in the past. Not sure about today.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2018, 10:17:11 AM »
In the old days of manual soldering (through hole technology) yes there was a lot of terrible soldering work being done out of China. But in this era of pick and place machines (SMT technology) with SMD components, bad soldering is almost a thing of the past. I suppose there are a still some devices being designed where manual soldering is still required but that is getting to be less and less. Robots are replacing a lot of the manual labor even in China.

Tele-Pole

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
It's hard to know if the low volume of these products would justify the setup costs for a very-short, automated production run.  It might be more cost effective, in a low labor cost area, to simply use manual processes.

I imagine that the attachment of the wires to the solar panels probably is done manually.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
Update. Acurite sent me a replacement lightning detector and still false lightning strikes. Then I was asked to return my Atlas sensor back with my original lightning detector for testing. At that same time they sent me a replacement Atlas sensor, which I received yesterday evening. Still false lightning strikes reported. They responded back and said they figured out what the root cause was and made some adjustments to my original Atlas sensor. They now want me to return the replacement that I just put up yesterday. Very inconvenient, but if they did fix it, I guess it was worth it. They said I will no longer experience false lightning readings. They did not disclose exactly what the issue was or what they did to fix it at this time.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:27:21 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2018, 04:21:57 PM »
It's odd that the replacement they sent you didn't come adjusted and also had the problem. The back and forth is a bit of a pain, but at least your problem has their attention.

Rich K.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:15:43 AM by havtrail »
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

anything