Author Topic: Atlas and my weather site  (Read 1444 times)

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
Atlas and my weather site
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:35:14 AM »
I am on the fence with the new Atlas, the price at Amazon is great.

Currently using  a 5 in 1 with Meteobridge/Weather Display.  If I make the leap how will I update my website?

It does not appear that Meteobridge or WD will support the Atlas.  I know there is MyAcurite which can export to WU.  But then what.  I can import by the day back to WD but that wont do me any good.

So, where to begin.  I know that there are others having the same thoughts.  I am not a programmer except for VERY basic knowledge. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Atlas and my weather site
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
Until someone cracks the encrypted data stream and Docbee (Smartbedded) decides to integrate it into the supported stations list, you are hooped.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 10:59:58 AM »
Pretty well what I figured, big deal breaker.  I wont jump on the bandwagon until there is a solution.
Thanks - Dennis

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
Such a good piece of hardware, and we can't share it with CWOP... Wunderground is still a big mess as far as I'm concerned. I hope something works out soon on the software end.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 04:36:17 AM »
Such a good piece of hardware, and we can't share it with CWOP... Wunderground is still a big mess as far as I'm concerned. I hope something works out soon on the software end.

The encryption isn't hard to work around since they don't check the certificates.  Acuparse has been doing it for a long time.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 10:41:21 AM »
According to Acuparse.com - Github reflector - the Atlas line is not yet supported.  And Acuparse introduces a whole new set of issue (PHP, etc.)   I am sure that someone will break the encryption - but why should anyone have to?  It is their data!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 11:46:00 AM »
According to Acuparse.com - Github reflector - the Atlas line is not yet supported.  And Acuparse introduces a whole new set of issue (PHP, etc.)   I am sure that someone will break the encryption - but why should anyone have to?  It is their data!

Atlas doesn't need to be directly supported.  It all hinges on the Access.

You can't "break" the encryption, but you can use a self-generated certificate since Acurite isn't checking.

Unfortunately encryption is expected today, regardless of how trivial the data.  At least Acurite left a "door open".

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 12:00:43 PM »
Can't break the encryption!  HA!  That's a good one.  If you check the forum at Github it clearly says that Acuparse does not support the Atlas stream.  Yet.  And if Chaney gets a brain and actually checks th cert - then what??  The closed system is a joke and purchasers are the ones being fooled.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
Can't break the encryption!  HA!  That's a good one.  If you check the forum at Github it clearly says that Acuparse does not support the Atlas stream.  Yet.  And if Chaney gets a brain and actually checks th cert - then what??  The closed system is a joke and purchasers are the ones being fooled.

I suppose you have a quantum computer just lying around for the purpose?  If so you don't have to worry about "closed systems".

Likely Acuparse doesn't understand the new Atlas parameters, but it should understand the old ones.

If you want encryption, but don't want to make it impossible to monitor or debug, you don't worry about the cert.  How do you think professionals debug these systems? 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
Good Lord, you know nothing about cybersecurity.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »

Oh, please.   :roll:

I take it you're unfamiliar with Fiddler or Charles.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:03:02 PM by nincehelser »

Offline DadCooks

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 05:59:58 PM »

You learn something new every day.  ](*,)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »

Unless you were being hyperbolic with your comment on quantum computing (no smiley so it was hard to tell), you are clueless on cybersecurity.  I actually do that sort of thing for governments around the world (including yours!!) so I think I know what I am doing.

FOTM is that Chaney is screwing over its customers  and will likely turn the thumbscrews a bit harder in the future.  But go ahead, have another sip of the Kool-Aid fanboy.

Offline maxtpower

• Acuparse Developer
  • Madis ID: F0115
    • Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
What does any of this have to do with cybersecurity? We're talking about weather data here! In our case, encryption is only used to get around filtering, more than protecting the actual data from interception over the wire. I know I for could one care less about my data being encrypted. I literally unencrypt and make it all publicly available anyway.

In my opinion, Acurite has left two "holes" for us to exploit and use to extract our own data from the Access. Which in their defense prevents complete lockdown and vendor lock-in. Which I personally believe is extremely important. The ability to easily extract this data is the entire reason I wrote Acuparse to begin with.

1) They do not check the cert validity, which would be stupid anyway since they would have to maintain them on the Access.

2) The Access will accept a 3rd party server to forward the data. Eliminating the need to set up a DNS redirect/hijack. Something that was not present at all on the SmartHub.

Acurite closing these two "holes" would definitely make things a little more complicated. I don't anticipate them ever using strict certificate checking, since replacing the certs on myacurite would require new Access firmware. It is my hope that the community of users that are extracting their own data are respectful enough, that Acurite will eventually embrace us. So far, I have not heard from them one way or the other.

With regards to the Altas, Acuparse "should" be able to parse this data. Once I get my hands on the data strings it is using to send data, I can begin working on support. This should be no different than how it is currently extracting 5N1 data; aside from the identification strings and any additional data readings.
Acuparse captures, stores, and displays data from an AcuRite‎ 5N1 weather station and towers via an Access/smartHUB. Uploads to Weather Underground, Weathercloud, PWS, and CWOP. Altas support coming soon!

Acuparse Links:
Acuparse Website
Acuparse Documentation
Acuparse Source via GitHub

Demo and Personal Weather Station via:
Golden Heights Weather Station

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 05:24:45 PM »

Unless you were being hyperbolic with your comment on quantum computing (no smiley so it was hard to tell), you are clueless on cybersecurity.  I actually do that sort of thing for governments around the world (including yours!!) so I think I know what I am doing.

FOTM is that Chaney is screwing over its customers  and will likely turn the thumbscrews a bit harder in the future.  But go ahead, have another sip of the Kool-Aid fanboy.

Back off, Bushman.  You’re making a fool of yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything