Author Topic: Wireless Bridge vs. Client and AP  (Read 970 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Wireless Bridge vs. Client and AP
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »
I thought that I would 'fess up to something that in retrospect was a dumb move.  #-o

Out in the garage cabinet, I have my Blitzortung lightning detectors (yes I have two), TOA Systems detector, a Raspberry Pi running an AIS app and an Ethernet thermometer. I have been plagued by problems for some time, losing connection, etc. Accessing the "client" out in the garage was especially a problem. I have a cheap Ethernet switch connected to the "client" mode device. (it can also do "bridge" and AP). I have an identical unit inside that was setup as an AP.

I recently found that the client mode is intended to be a glorified WiFi dongle/card equivalent. For what I was trying to do required "bridge" mode. Note that both the garage unit and the indoor unit had to be configured as "bridge". The MAC address for the corresponding opposite bridge unit was programmed into the WiFi devices.

The difference was dramatic. It really cleaned up everything and the access to the garage bridge is instantaneous now. I get good throughput on the speed and antenna RSSI tests.

I believe that there was significant conflict with the devices out there competing with the "client" mode causing issues. It "sort of" worked, but obviously wasn't the right way.

This might be useful for anyone attempting to use WiFi ILO "an Ethernet cable" to connect multiple remote devices. I really wasn't relishing the notion of trenching and burying expensive Direct Burial Ethernet cable, but until I figured this out it was going to be my next step. (now unnecessary)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything