Author Topic: Need Help Please  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Dreamflight767

Need Help Please
« on: December 15, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »
Hello All:

I have the WS1001 and need some help please.

Firstly, I have the unit mounted against the garage but the pitch of the roof is so steep, I can't walk on it.  So, for those of you who have your WX stations mounted high, how to you ensure the bubble in the leveler is inside the circle?

Secondly, I can't seem to keep my REL barometer in-line with my area pressure.  I live within 5 miles of two airports with WX reporting capabilities.  Yesterday my station was reporting 30.22 and the airports' were reporting 30.28 but the difference has been much more significant in the not-so-far past.  I've called for support but they aren't much help.

Thank you!

Offline dow

• Village Idiot in training
Re: Need Help Please
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »
Hello All:

I have the WS1001 and need some help please.

Firstly, I have the unit mounted against the garage but the pitch of the roof is so steep, I can't walk on it.  So, for those of you who have your WX stations mounted high, how to you ensure the bubble in the leveler is inside the circle?

Use a bullet level on different sides of the pole.  If the array is mounted squarely on the pole, then squaring the pole will get the array too.  This is assuming that the pole is straight.

I'm not sure about the barometer on the ws1001.  Does it use the observerIP?  If so, then you can log in there and make some adjustments so that it reads more in line with what's around you.  With that being said, I would doubt that different barometers five miles apart (or even less) would read exactly the same anyway.
https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/ktxboern48
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »
Make sure your comparison of the barometric readings is close to the time the airports put theirs out. Also, you will want to do this when very little barometric pressures are changing rapidly...

Jim

Offline railrode1

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 11:17:15 PM »
I just made sure my  1" EMT pole was level and slid the array tube down on it. Drilled a hole and added screw so it doesn't rotate. It's about 35' above ground. My roof is a 12" /12" pitch. Airports in my area report every 20 or 30 minutes.
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline Dreamflight767

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
Thanks for the help gang.

If I can my local airports' ASOS, I get the WX instant update.  That's how I know my has drifted by so much.  I can't figure out why.

As for the mounting, I'm going to have to re-do my hardware.  Anyone know the diameter of the mounting pole that comes with WS1001?  I'd like to get an extension that either the mounting pole will fit into or over.

Cheers.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words. (inside dims)
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

BTW, the pole that comes with the unit, fits nicely over 1" EMT pipe found at most big box stores.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:33:43 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Dreamflight767

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 02:03:38 AM »
Wow.  Thank you dupreezd!  Very kind and helpful.

Offline Dreamflight767

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »

BTW, the pole that comes with the unit, fits nicely over 1" EMT pipe found at most big box stores.

Question for you Dupreezd:

Regarding fitting the pole over the 1" EMT, how do you hold the pole in place over the EMT?  Did you just screw a hole or two into both poles and screw them together?

Thanks.

Offline dow

• Village Idiot in training
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 11:18:03 PM »

Question for you Dupreezd:

Regarding fitting the pole over the 1" EMT, how do you hold the pole in place over the EMT?  Did you just screw a hole or two into both poles and screw them together?

Thanks.

When I was using that array, I found that it fit tight enough over the conduit that I didn't bother with drilling a screw hole. Had it up over two years, and it never moved a smidgen. Of course, your mileage may vary.
https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/ktxboern48
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »
how do you hold the pole in place over the EMT
The supplied pole comes with a hole already drilled. I slipped it over the EMT, aligned the ISS to north then drilled a 1/8" hole in the EMT and popped an aluminum rivet in place. Easy to drill out if needed. If you use screws, make sure it is stainless to prevent rust.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:29:30 AM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Dreamflight767

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help!