Author Topic: AcuRite Access??  (Read 4908 times)

Offline thomas

Re: AcuRite Access??
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
FYI, Placed my order for the access  thur and it arrived today.

Offline pcjunky

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
The big thing I've noticed is that the Access sends out a fraction of the data the SmartHub sent to MyAcurite.  Acurite is going to save a lot of money on server bandwidth.

I've got 13 sensors with only 7 logged at once to MyAcurite.  The SmartHub used to rank 2 or 3 in net traffic on my router.   Now it's not even in the top 10.  The only issue I have is that sometimes when I check my sensors with the MyAcurite app it will sometimes show red or yellow instead of green for the status of a sensor.  I'm not sure if it's because the data hasn't been updated recently or that the sensor had a poor signal and couldn't be read during the last update cycle.

I do like the new device info page for the Access.  I don't remeber how many sensors used to be listed on the SmartHub but I can see all my sensors now and check signal and battery status.

Online nincehelser

• Forecaster
    • nincehelser.com
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »
The big thing I've noticed is that the Access sends out a fraction of the data the SmartHub sent to MyAcurite.  Acurite is going to save a lot of money on server bandwidth.

I've got 13 sensors with only 7 logged at once to MyAcurite.  The SmartHub used to rank 2 or 3 in net traffic on my router.   Now it's not even in the top 10.  The only issue I have is that sometimes when I check my sensors with the MyAcurite app it will sometimes show red or yellow instead of green for the status of a sensor.  I'm not sure if it's because the data hasn't been updated recently or that the sensor had a poor signal and couldn't be read during the last update cycle.

I do like the new device info page for the Access.  I don't remeber how many sensors used to be listed on the SmartHub but I can see all my sensors now and check signal and battery status.

Instead of sending all traffic to myAcurite, the Access sends sensor data to myAcurite in 5-minute intervals bundled as a group.  It's also encrypted.

Wunderground traffic is still unencrypted and sent in real-time, though.

Offline Catskin

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
FYI, Placed my order for the access  thur and it arrived today.

you were lucky, mine was placed on the 5th and it still has not shipped as of the 15th.

Offline Glenn

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:29 PM »
Mine came today! Fairly easy setup on MyAcurite. Did you guys just unplug your SmartHub and run the access? Did you remove the hub from your MyAcurite account?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Catskin

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:21 PM »
My order just shipped today (1/16).  Should be here maybe on the 22nd.

Offline Glenn

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2018, 01:17:39 PM »
Mine came today! Fairly easy setup on MyAcurite. Did you guys just unplug your SmartHub and run the access? Did you remove the hub from your MyAcurite account?

I have two stations in two different locations with two MyAcurite accounts. So things get a little tricky.

Basically, I had to remove my SmartHub from that location's account and then have the Access labeled as the station that was reporting out to WU by assigning the WU station ID. Took me a few tries to figure everything out. Hope this helps.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Online nincehelser

• Forecaster
    • nincehelser.com
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2018, 11:57:04 PM »
Instead of sending all traffic to myAcurite, the Access sends sensor data to myAcurite in 5-minute intervals bundled as a group.  It's also encrypted.

Wunderground traffic is still unencrypted and sent in real-time, though.

An update on this...

Maxwellpower took a deeper look at the encryption and found that Acurite is not being strict about certificates.  This means you can create your own "fake" cert and decrypt the data.  Doing that is more involved than just passively sniffing, but it's certainly doable.

https://github.com/acuparse/acuparse/issues/17

Offline Glenn

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »
I saw that on the FB group the other da; thanks for sharing here.

What types of things would that allow for George?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Online nincehelser

• Forecaster
    • nincehelser.com
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
I saw that on the FB group the other da; thanks for sharing here.

What types of things would that allow for George?

Since the data can be decrypted, it is possible to read all sensors and their data.  Still, you're going to be limited to 5-minute updates.

Interesting to note is that the Access is doing more calculations by itself rather than relying on the servers.  For example, the Access is sending heat index, feels like, wind average, and a few other values.  This might indicate that the Access will have more local features in the future.

Offline Glenn

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
Appreciate the insight George! Sounds like all good things going forward. Certainly could mean more data from the systems.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »
My new access came yesterday. Hooked it up and had it going in just a few minutes. It already had been updated, so no waiting for a download before linking with myacurite. The access started sending to Wunderground in 10 minutes or so.