Author Topic: Current Thinking on WeatherLink Options and Operation  (Read 1312 times)

Offline jammer13

Current Thinking on WeatherLink Options and Operation
« on: December 29, 2016, 06:45:30 PM »
New member here, but not new to weather watching as I've had a Weather Monitor II (with WeatherLink) going for about 25 years.  Anyway, it's about time to look at an upgrade and I've done a fair amount of forum searching on Weatherlink Serial/USB/IP.  Lots of good info here, but I did have a few questions where either I didn't see obvious answers or enough time has passed that maybe something has changed. 

1) For WLIP, I understand if there is a network interruption, WLIP will send missing data and archive to WL.com once the connection is restored.  Will WL.com also resend missing data to WU?  That is one thing that even my current WL does pretty well directly to WU, but I'm a little worried that WL.com may not.

2) I've read that the WLIP logger requires the VP2 (or VVue) console to be AC powered.  If the AC is interrupted and it only runs on batteries, does WLIP automatically forego any upload activity until power is restored and then resume upload of missed data/archives?  I guess the question is how cleanly does WLIP handle power loss.  I realize that a better option would be an UPS, but I'm just asking. I don't think over the 25 years I've ever had the WMII lose both AC and battery power, but the AC has certainly had its fair share of interruptions.

3) Is the WL USB version still considered risky for dropped communication?  Right now, I'm using my old WL Serial with a Serial-to-USB conversion to an Acer netbook with good success so I'm thinking I might continue that with the new WL, but the Acer and the console are a fair distance apart and it might be better to just use the IP version, but was just wondering about USB in case it makes since to relocate the netbook near the console (which is possible but less convenient to work on).

4) Is there current success with using third-party software (WD, etc) while also doing WL.com uploads with WLIP?  I've read that many use a time slicing approach to give WLIP time to upload to WL.com, but really wondering how reliable that has been for those that have tried it.  Maybe it's still better to do one or the other.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Current Thinking on WeatherLink Options and Operation
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
Is the WL USB version still considered risky for dropped communication?
Welcome. I can answer this one, at least for me, mine has run flawlessly for the 5 or so years I've had it.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »
A comment based on your questions.....

When you get your new Davis system, include a new serial logger.  You'll be most familiar with how that will work.

The USB logger is just fine - but the serial logger is better if the distance to the computer is long.  The IP logger is great for folks who want "plug and play uploads", but it doesn't look like you require that simplicity (and extra cost).

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »
Re 2) AC powered being a generic term then yes WLIP requires more power than serial or USB loggers as the internal backup batteries don't provide much backup time to run a WLIP. Better than "AC power" would be a 6 volt battery system and small smart charger for primary power (or yes UPS). Where the primary power is interrupted and system drops back to backup then the data upload resumes on the next hour automatically including any data not previously sent due to primary power outage. No data is lost as long as the back power does not go down.

Re 3) USB version obviously has a purpose for some but is a long way behind the serial logger or WLIP

Re 4) WLIP has positives and negatives, one negative being power but there are ways around this extra power requirement, all and all it is very robust. WLIP can be simply used as a logger on the network, it does not have to be uploading to WL.com. Unable to comment on third party software like WD, WU etc but works fine with MB & MBPro     

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 11:46:05 PM »
Any particular reason you want the WL IP?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jammer13

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 12:11:15 AM »
Any particular reason you want the WL IP?

It probably sounds like I'm leaning that way due to my questions but really my questions are more because I don't fully understand its benefits and limitations.  Add to that there are folks (including 3rd party software authors) that use it (maybe not with WL.com uploads) and I figured I should know more about it.  Clearly, the easiest approach would be to use the serial version like I already have, but I just don't want to miss something.  Who knows, maybe WL.com will be updated at some point to be more useful 8-)

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 12:23:56 AM »
To supplement what Mattk said, the WLIP will continue to log data just as a Serial or USB logger would in the event of a power outage, assuming you also no longer have an internet connection and that your router is also affected by the power outage. This would cause the IP logger to act as if it were not connected to the ethernet cable at all. I have a WLIP on my Vue console; my house was without power for 8 days and the logger/console did not have an issues "powering" though the power outage running on just batteries. Granted after 8 days, I was getting the "Low Console Batteries" message, but I was getting the same message on my VP2 console running the Belfryboy USB logger. All that said, I think you start running into battery/power supply issues if you leave the WLIP online and connected to the internet while running on just batteries (no AC power).

I ran this WLIP logger for several months with Cumulus while also having it upload to WL.com. Cumulus has a disconnect feature (that's what I think it's called) that temporarily disconnects the computer for the logger (for a user selectable amount of time) to allow it to upload to WL.com. I never really had any big issues using this method, but I opted to get the Belfryboy logger for a more "stable" and "direct" connection of my main logger to my computer.

Hope this helps!
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline jammer13

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 12:35:33 AM »
Thanks all for your comments and answers.  I think 2-4 have been well addressed.  If anyone knows about WU uploads from WL.com after a data discontinuity, I'd still be interested.

I have a couple hardware questions, but I'll save those for the hardware forum.

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 12:42:03 AM »
Yes, the logger uploads all archived (logged) data that it missed while it was disconnected. Not exactly sure about how much data it will upload, but I believe it will upload as much data as it can physically hold, depending on your archive interval of course.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline jammer13

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 01:49:31 AM »
Alex - Thanks for confirming WLIP will upload missed data to WL.com.  I was also wondering if WL.com would also upload missed data to Weather Underground (or any other covered services I suppose but I'm doing WU).  That's assuming, of course, that WL.com was setup to transfer to WU. Based on your previous comments, I'm guessing you probably did the uploads from Cumulus rather than WL.com so you may not have run across that specific situation.

Thanks!

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 02:22:38 AM »
Ah ok. Yeah I always uploaded to WU with Cumulus so I never ran into that issue. If I had to guess, I would guess that it would not push past data to WU uploads from archived data. But that's just a guess...
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue