Author Topic: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition  (Read 14305 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:41 PM »
If you find that when using the StandAlone version with the larger image loops that you can't see the Continental US, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, or the US Atlantic Coast loops it's because I didn't test them before I posted.   :oops:

The dimension arrays are now correct in 'inc-wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php', version 20180209b, as well as in the latest zip.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:03 AM »
Mine can't run, due to broken links to all the jpg's.  Is this a temporary problem?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 06:28:32 AM »
The performance of the https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php site had been slowly deteriorating Sunday until it failed altogether last evening.  The image displayed there is obviously from last evening and not current.

Here is an example of the current state of just one directory, the Upper Mississippi Valley GEOCOLOR.  Obviously, their satellite acquisition and rendering scheme had a breakdown somewhere.  Hopefully it's just software, because if it's hardware they, and we, may be in deep doodoo.

'Preliminary' is, after all, the key word here.

On another note, there's a new version of my GOES16 script dated yesterday on my site.  I was trying to troubleshoot some issues yesterday, but the absence of current images made it difficult.  Plus hitting on their server as much as I was didn't feel quite right.  I tried to place a control box on the bottom that contained the times of the images, but HAniS stripped out the base URL as though the images were local.  Until the cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov site is fully functional again there's no way I can demonstrate the problem for Tom Whittaker, the creator of HAniS, and finally get a display of the image times.  All scripts need to be replaced after preserving your customizations.  Tom's latest HAniS version is also included just for completeness.

Meanwhile, I've just placed the time of the first image my script is looking for as well as the last beneath the animation.  Right now, the images obviously aren't appearing, so the times are at the top of the blank space.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:49:17 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
The https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sectors_index.php site is gradually repopulating the image directories with fresh files, so at least we're not shooting blanks any more.

A few more words about the changes I made yesterday:  The problem with bands 1 through 9 has been solved, I think.  I used 'intval()' rather than looking for redundant '0's, and it appears to have done the trick.  There was also no logic for displaying the larger image loops in Saratoga Widescreen a la the StandAlone script, and this has now been fixed.  The StandAlone script will now only display 'GEOCOLOR' and bands '01' through '05' when a region in the 48 contiguous states is selected.  All bands will display for the remainder of the $sectors when they're available, except 'CONUS' (Continental US).  Yesterday I didn't determine that all of the 'CONUS' bands are also available at the larger image size which I now see that they are.  This has been fixed in today's zip which constitutes the only substantive change.  As usual, update all of the scripts after preserving your customizations.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
Jerry, thanks for sticking with this fine script through all the "trials and tribulations".  =D>
Jeff

W7-64, Intel Z170A 16 GB RAM
Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
Jerry, thanks for sticking with this fine script through all the "trials and tribulations".  =D>

Yes indeed, thanks Jerry.  =D>

CW3699

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »
With Tom Wittaker's kind help, this evening I have finally added the GMT times to each image's display beneath the bottom toggle control.  There is a new switch, '$addTime', that is set to 'true' by default.

View and download here.

Replace ALL four scripts after preserving your customizations in the main script.

Happy Valentine's Day!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:24:56 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2018, 12:26:04 AM »
Wouldn't you know it!  The day after I cobble together a display of the GMT image time, ironically the https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sectors_index.php site starts adding to each image the full description of it including the image's full timestamp.  Not surprisingly the two times agree.  I don't see them on any of the Full Disk images, on the Continental US, nor on the small Tropical Atlantic Wide.

I wouldn't be surprised if they refine their display to make the date and time a little more intelligible.  Day-of-year isn't a very widely recognized number, but that's what's between the year and GMT.

Fortunately setting '$addTime = false' in the main script will eliminate the now redundant display if you so desire.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2018, 11:17:54 PM »
Thanks Jerry. Updated and running fine ...  :grin:
Jeff

Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
Jeff

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »
Mine completely down as well. Noticed yesterday it was losing images but still finding a few, then died overnight.
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »
When the script fails to find images it's usually because there has been a disruption somewhere in the chain between acquiring the raw images and processing them into what the script is looking for, namely an image every 10 minutes on the 7th minute.  My original approach last December was to read in a file name list from the appropriate directory and then grab the last however-many images.  One problem is that all of the image resolutions are dumped into a single directory and they have to be culled for the right-sized ones.  Another problem is that stale images would show up, although this would be mitigated somewhat now that the images are time-stamped by NOAA.  Nevertheless I've been playing around again with the file name list again this morning, still with the same frustrations, and really no further along than before.

They do, after all, call these images 'Preliminary'.  The frustration with this is that the former GOES-East satellite is no more, just a Preliminary 'GOES-East' aka GOES16 that doesn't reliably create real-time images.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »
"In the name of progress ..."  :roll:     Maybe the Falcon Heavy can save the world :?: Satellite broadband launch today  \:D/

Thanks for all your effort against immense odds ...  =D>
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:02:57 PM by Breezy »
Jeff

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »
Unless they changed it, the launch was delayed until Feb. 21st.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:25 PM »
I finally solved my self-inflicted problems assembling a filename list from the directory listing.   #-o I forgot that the filenames in the directory listing are html links and I needed to strip out the anchoring '<a href=' and '</a>'!

Once I overcame that hurdle I worked on adding a more useful timestamp, which took a while as well because it required remembering a key function, 'strtotime()', that makes it possible to go from day of the year to the day and month.  As usual, I found the most important piece of the puzzle, 'DateTime::createFromFormat('z','$imageTime')', searching the web.  ($imageTime is just the time string that's part of the image's filename.)

The zip is available on my site, and you can use the 'View' link to play around with it.

One benefit of the timestamp I've added is that you can now see when the images are stale.  Indeed no new images have been posted since just before midnight yesterday.

Edit:  I've added a real-time clock that tells the time as GMT and Zulu.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:56:19 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2018, 12:01:12 AM »
Jerry,

Do you have an update for the "wxGOES16-HAinSLoops-iframe-breezy.php" file so that it will show on my home page?

Thanks.
Jeff

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2018, 12:11:21 AM »
Jerry,

Do you have an update for the "wxGOES16-HAinSLoops-iframe-breezy.php" file so that it will show on my home page?

Thanks.
Detecting an absence of current images is possible, but it would slow the loading of your home page a bit.  There are no current images present on the server right now, so that's why you're not displaying anything there.  It is 'Preliminary' after all.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2018, 12:14:21 AM »
OK, thanks. I'll just have to substitute it with another more reliable graphic.
Jeff

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »
My enthusiasm for the display of the image timestamp was premature.  It blew up today when they started repopulating the directories with fresh images.  i've used a new routine to determine the current images' times, and it appears to be holding up OK.

Similarly my attempt to display the current GMT along with Zulu times wasn't successful.  I've reverted to just a display of the current date along with a Zulu time.  This routine will break down as each month rolls over at midnight into the next and of course at the New Year, but this shouldn't be a big problem.  A manual page refresh will update the date while the time should just keep on ticking.

Latest zip is here, as usual, and the script's output can be 'View'ed there as well.

Breezy, I understand your frustration, but unless fresh images keep appearing regularly your dashboard's current display might be a little broken if you try to use the GOES16, aka a sometimes stalled GOES-East, images via my old iframe script.  I will think about a new display for you that incorporates a timestamp and is based on the current iframe script.  Edit:  I see that the timestamp is already there, although I wish nesdis.noaa would use yellow text so it wouldn't disappear into the clouds.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:56:01 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »
Thanks very much, Jerry!  :grin:
Jeff

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2018, 11:19:41 AM »
OK, Breezy, here you goThe script.

You could modify the number of images, '$numbImages' in the test parameters, if you want.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
Great job, Jerry!  =D&gt; Yes, it would be nice if they converted to a "yellow" text so that it would appear among the clouds.

Very much appreciated! It's now displaying on the home page ...  =D&gt;
Jeff

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2018, 09:54:11 PM »
My enthusiasm for the display of the image timestamp was premature.  It blew up today when they started repopulating the directories with fresh images.  i've used a new routine to determine the current images' times, and it appears to be holding up OK.

Similarly my attempt to display the current GMT along with Zulu times wasn't successful.  I've reverted to just a display of the current date along with a Zulu time.  This routine will break down as each month rolls over at midnight into the next and of course at the New Year, but this shouldn't be a big problem.  A manual page refresh will update the date while the time should just keep on ticking.

Latest zip is here, as usual, and the script's output can be 'View'ed there as well.

Breezy, I understand your frustration, but unless fresh images keep appearing regularly your dashboard's current display might be a little broken if you try to use the GOES16, aka a sometimes stalled GOES-East, images via my old iframe script.  I will think about a new display for you that incorporates a timestamp and is based on the current iframe script.  Edit:  I see that the timestamp is already there, although I wish nesdis.noaa would use yellow text so it wouldn't disappear into the clouds.

The view isn't working as of Tues. night, so I'm glad I didn't change mine, since two changes ago, since mine works.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2018, 10:38:10 PM »

The view isn't working as of Tues. night, so I'm glad I didn't change mine, since two changes ago, since mine works.
Not sure what you mean, Bunty.  The images are coming out regularly and being displayed by my current script.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:39:45 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2018, 10:46:17 PM »
Working fine for me, too.
John
W7JKG