Author Topic: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition  (Read 2862 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:41 PM »
If you find that when using the StandAlone version with the larger image loops that you can't see the Continental US, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, or the US Atlantic Coast loops it's because I didn't test them before I posted.   :oops:

The dimension arrays are now correct in 'inc-wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php', version 20180209b, as well as in the latest zip.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@inebraska.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:03 AM »
Mine can't run, due to broken links to all the jpg's.  Is this a temporary problem?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.81 at http://stillwaterweather.com/wx/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 06:28:32 AM »
The performance of the https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php site had been slowly deteriorating Sunday until it failed altogether last evening.  The image displayed there is obviously from last evening and not current.

Here is an example of the current state of just one directory, the Upper Mississippi Valley GEOCOLOR.  Obviously, their satellite acquisition and rendering scheme had a breakdown somewhere.  Hopefully it's just software, because if it's hardware they, and we, may be in deep doodoo.

'Preliminary' is, after all, the key word here.

On another note, there's a new version of my GOES16 script dated yesterday on my site.  I was trying to troubleshoot some issues yesterday, but the absence of current images made it difficult.  Plus hitting on their server as much as I was didn't feel quite right.  I tried to place a control box on the bottom that contained the times of the images, but HAniS stripped out the base URL as though the images were local.  Until the cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov site is fully functional again there's no way I can demonstrate the problem for Tom Whittaker, the creator of HAniS, and finally get a display of the image times.  All scripts need to be replaced after preserving your customizations.  Tom's latest HAniS version is also included just for completeness.

Meanwhile, I've just placed the time of the first image my script is looking for as well as the last beneath the animation.  Right now, the images obviously aren't appearing, so the times are at the top of the blank space.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:49:17 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@inebraska.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
The https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sectors_index.php site is gradually repopulating the image directories with fresh files, so at least we're not shooting blanks any more.

A few more words about the changes I made yesterday:  The problem with bands 1 through 9 has been solved, I think.  I used 'intval()' rather than looking for redundant '0's, and it appears to have done the trick.  There was also no logic for displaying the larger image loops in Saratoga Widescreen a la the StandAlone script, and this has now been fixed.  The StandAlone script will now only display 'GEOCOLOR' and bands '01' through '05' when a region in the 48 contiguous states is selected.  All bands will display for the remainder of the $sectors when they're available, except 'CONUS' (Continental US).  Yesterday I didn't determine that all of the 'CONUS' bands are also available at the larger image size which I now see that they are.  This has been fixed in today's zip which constitutes the only substantive change.  As usual, update all of the scripts after preserving your customizations.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@inebraska.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Senior Contributor
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
Jerry, thanks for sticking with this fine script through all the "trials and tribulations".  =D>
Jeff

W7-64, Intel Z170A 16 GB RAM
Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
Jerry, thanks for sticking with this fine script through all the "trials and tribulations".  =D>

Yes indeed, thanks Jerry.  =D>

Davis Vantage Pro2, Serial Data Logger
WD 10.37S-(b60), VWS V15.00p03, Weatherlink 6.0.3,  Fling 2.35, Broadwave 2.0, Win 7 Pro 64Bit
KMICHEBO10 - CW3699 - Cheboygan, MI

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »
With Tom Wittaker's kind help, this evening I have finally added the GMT times to each image's display beneath the bottom toggle control.  There is a new switch, '$addTime', that is set to 'true' by default.

View and download here.

Replace ALL four scripts after preserving your customizations in the main script.

Happy Valentine's Day!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:24:56 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@inebraska.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
Wouldn't you know it!  The day after I cobble together a display of the GMT image time, ironically the https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sectors_index.php site starts adding to each image the full description of it including the image's full timestamp.  Not surprisingly the two times agree.  I don't see them on any of the Full Disk images, on the Continental US, nor on the small Tropical Atlantic Wide.

I wouldn't be surprised if they refine their display to make the date and time a little more intelligible.  Day-of-year isn't a very widely recognized number, but that's what's between the year and GMT.

Fortunately setting '$addTime = false' in the main script will eliminate the now redundant display if you so desire.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@inebraska.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Senior Contributor
    • Indian Trail Weather
Thanks Jerry. Updated and running fine ...  :grin:
Jeff

W7-64, Intel Z170A 16 GB RAM
Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D