Author Topic: Problems with new Location  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Knorrli

Problems with new Location
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:07:23 PM »
Lost my location in September (house got sold), everything worked fine there; now trying installing at new site.

While in storage I changed firmware from 7.4 to 8.3b2_Red, Message when updating along the line that change successful. Controller displays same version.

Now I face nothing but problems:

GPS doesn't get a lock, even when antenna outside facing straight up.

Controller shows IP Address as .70 even if router instructions say allowed range .100 to .190.

Controller not listed in list of connected LAN devices (Router setting: automatic assign IP address)

Unable to access indicated IP address of Controller

Any ideas what I am missing?

Thanks

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Problems with new Location
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:42:59 PM »
Sounds like it's corrupted. You did use a correct Firmware Version? don't mix Red with Blue, and vice versa...
I'm assuming you can't access the controller through web?
Did you try accessing controller at default 192.168.1.235?

Remove the Power Supply USB plug, wait a few moments, re-power.
After power applied, wait several minutes.
System may trigger into interference. Press Reset button.
Try the 192.168.1.235
Now, if can access, go to tools, and "reset settings" (returns everything to default)
Rollback (reinstall) your firmware to 7.4, and start over....
Make sure everything is working.
If working, get in router and assign a permanent (reserved, static) IP address to the controller device, so it won't change.
If router has assigned something other than 235, that's fine... just remember what the new address is. Or your can assign it as 235, if nothing else is using 235.
Try the latest firmware, 8.3b2. Again, give the system a few minutes to stabilize after the update. It's a big jump from 7.4 to 8.3b2, and GPS may take a bit longer to stabilize than previously due to changes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:44:35 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Knorrli

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Yes I used the RED version 8.3b2, at least that what the file name says.

I have no way to access the controller. I have not tried 192.168.1.235. I don't know if it will work since the router I am using only allows .100 to .190

The green LED (GPS) blinks for about 20 to 30 secs and then goes dark.

next time I am out there I will re-install version 7.4 and try again.

Will keep you posted

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:14:24 AM »
I have no way to access the controller. I have not tried 192.168.1.235. I don't know if it will work since the router I am using only allows .100 to .190

Is this just the DHCP range, or an addressable range? If it is just the DHCP range, it doesn't matter. You can prove this by pinging the 192.168.1.235 address from the command line. If it is an actual range restriction, I would look at your router's settings to see if you can change this range to include .235. It might just be a default.

Alternatively, you could connect a "crossover" CAT5/6 cable between a computer (laptop) and the controller. If your computer has "auto-sensing", you might not need a crossover cable. (I don't see anything in the Microchip Ethernet controller about auto-sensing).

In the port settings you could temporarily disable DHCP and assign a fixed IP address to the laptop, that is not currently in use, but in the 192.168.1.0 subnet. It needs to be something different from 192.168.1.235. You can ignore the gateway and DCHP server settings. Remember to record the existing settings, so it will work when you are done with the controller. (otherwise, you will not be able to acces your LAN/Router again)

When you do re-flash the controller, it is important to check the MD5 sum and wait for the verification message that is part of the re-flashing function.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Knorrli

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »
0.5 Eureka,

Reinstalled the original 7.4 version, still no way to communicate with controller. Cleared controller of old software and installed 7.4 again and bingo I could access the controller and set everything up for remote access.

Now I have to find out how to deal with that constant signal I am receiving and once it warms up a little bit install the e-field antenna.

How important is it to update the firmware beyond 7.4?

Thanks everybody for their help

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »
That version is pretty old. I am running FW 8.3b2. You can read through the history on the Blitzortung forum.

The change log is part of the posting from Tobi. It is the top entry under " Firmware for RED/BLUE".

There are some fairly important changes since 7.4. (including some hard fault crashes, 8.3b2 has been very stable for me.)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything