Author Topic: 2080 - Dead or savable?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline RainandSnow

• Ambient WS-2902D display and array
2080 - Dead or savable?
« on: March 13, 2016, 11:12:01 AM »
My 2080 was working fine and then went blank. I assumed it was the batteries, so replaced the batteries in both the outside sensor and in the inside unit. The picture shows what now shows up on the screen. I have held the up arrow down for 30 seconds with no change? Is the unit dead? Can I do anything else to try and get it back? Thanks.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.”
― Dave Barry

Offline RainandSnow

Re: 2080 - Dead or savable?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:42:24 AM »
Double check to see if you put the batteries in correctly.

Double checked. They are in correctly.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.”
― Dave Barry

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »
That looks like a LCD screen edge contacts problem. If you open it up you might be able to press the contacts back in place. Often it's just a taped on ribbon cable or a screwed down pressure connection but by re-securing it in place may do the trick.  If it's still under warranty I'd return it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:35:38 PM by DanS »

Offline RainandSnow

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 07:51:58 PM »
That looks like a LCD screen edge contacts problem. If you open it up you might be able to press the contacts back in place. Often it's just a taped on ribbon cable or a screwed down pressure connection but by re-securing it in place may do the trick.  If it's still under warranty I'd return it.

Okay, so I opened it up and it is a blue ribbon/foam that runs the length of the LCD. It seems to have good contact. Put it back together and got the same results.

It isn't under warranty, I bought it from another person who had it about 6 months before selling it to me.

So, given that where is the cheapest option to buy a replacement? Ambient has it for $49.99 (new). Ebay: $52 (Used) Thoughts?
Thanks.
― Dave Barry

anything