Author Topic: WGR800 external power input  (Read 6459 times)

Offline ges

WGR800 external power input
« on: January 14, 2016, 05:21:46 AM »
I have some problems with my WGR800 dropping out in cold weather (less than -10C degrees, totally unavailable if more than -15). First I was considering to power it with the solar panel (STC800) but I think it may be even better to power it constant from an AC/DC adapter. To do this, can I use the socket meant for the solar panel? If so does anyone know the voltage and polarity for this? Not much documentation to find on the internet for this panel.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
Re: WGR800 external power input
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 03:04:06 AM »
Have you tried powering it with lithium batterie?

The usual alkaline units supplied with the unit tend to get weaker at that sort of temperature as the chemical reaction within them slows lowering the voltage.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline ges

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 05:36:43 AM »
Actually I replaced the alkaline with lithium batteries last week for the reason mentioned. But it has not been any real cold weather after this so that it remains to see if it will help or not.

Offline elno34

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:15:54 PM »
Dear All,

I am new on the forum and I am like Ges, I would like to powerup the WGR800 using and external AC/DC 5v PSU.
the issue I have is roughly the same : I am missing the polarity ...  anyone who owns a STC 800 (solar panel ) could check if the + is in or outside the DC power jack ?

I am pretty sure but not 100% that there is probably a diode that would protect from reverse polarity but would like to avoid killing my unit in case its not protected.

Many thanks in advance this information in advance
With my best regards,
Noel

Offline elno34

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:39:23 AM »
Alright finally.. I checked by my own so here's the answer if it can help someone in the future

There is a Diode ( not easy to read probably a 1N4148) that prevent  reverse polarity anyway.

It needs a DC in of 3V to 5V ( would stay as close as possible from 3Vdc  as normal operations are with 2x 1,5V batteries)..
 see picture attached for polarity

Have a great day everyone.

regards
Noel

Offline wsNoordbergum

• Contributor
    • wsNoordbergum
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
Measured about 4 volts the STC solar panel has a built in rechargeable battery 3x1.2volts AAA size.
Output with solar panel facing the sun is about 4 Volts measured at power jack.
Also check if your solar panel is plugged in with the battery internally.
I read that it isn't plugged in of the shelf and this is not mentioned in the manual.
You'll have to open the back of the STC800 and check!
If it isn't connected, battery life of your attached sensor is seriously reduced.
I had my anemometer connected with the solarpanel no battery change, lasted 3 years...

I now own a Davis because I had regular reception trouble.

Gr. wsNoordbergum
Davis Vantage Pro 2 UV/Solar
Meteobridge nano SD
Ecowitt WS90 WH40 WH31 WH57 GW2000 HP2550_c
CumulusMX/raspberry Pi 4b

Offline ges

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
Alright finally.. I checked by my own so here's the answer if it can help someone in the future

There is a Diode ( not easy to read probably a 1N4148) that prevent  reverse polarity anyway.

It needs a DC in of 3V to 5V ( would stay as close as possible from 3Vdc  as normal operations are with 2x 1,5V batteries)..
 see picture attached for polarity

Have a great day everyone.

regards
Noel

I have again started to look into how I can improve my wind sensor. Built a new receiver based on esp8266 and now I would like to try to power the wgr800 externally.

Did you find out which DC plug that is used?

Offline kitus

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 05:07:39 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm digging up this old thread because it touches on the topic that I'm currently looking for information on. I realise this is an old thread. I hope it is ok for me to do this...

I own a WGR800 and SCT800 too. It has been working for a while but it recently has started to drop out of the network. One silly question: am I supposed to have batteries in the WGR800 while it is being backed up by the SCT800? I guess it is the case because in some countries weather is cloudy for days/weeks, but I wanted to double-check this before I ruin my device.

One other question with these old type of devices: how does one know what the status of the batteries is?

thanks!