Author Topic: Weatherlink template displays ? behind readings  (Read 2734 times)

Offline texspot92

Weatherlink template displays ? behind readings
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:07:52 PM »
In the Current Weather portion, and Today's Highs/Lows of my Weatherlink (v 5.7) website template I have ? showing up after some of the readings.  The readings are accurate, but I'm not understanding why the ? is showing after them.  It's occurring on Temp, Dew Point, Wind Chill and Heat Index.  Does anyone know what might cause this?  http://home.roadrunner.com/~fbgtxskies/

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
Re: Weatherlink template displays ? behind readings
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:16:15 PM »
It looks like your template does not have the proper characters in for the degree symbol.  In your template check what you have there it is probably <!--tempUnit-->.  What you can do is replace that text with &deg;F, that should fix your problem.

Offline texspot92

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:33:26 PM »
Thanks for that suggestion.  But when I did that, it didn't get rid of the ? on my site, but made my display go weird in the current rain measurement section.  I'm a real novice at fooling with these files, so bear with me.  I made that change to the text only in my .htx file, on only one reading so I could see the effect.  I changed it to read <!--&deg;F-->  Would that have been correct?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »
Something similar was discussed in another thread, can't recall now, but it likely has to do with the browser not understanding the character. I have that problem sometimes with my weather page.

Try closing your browser completely, then restart to see if that fixes the problem...

Considering others have seen odd symbols in my page, maybe there's some data corruption when Weatherlink converts the template to HTML?
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »
I guess you misunderstood what I was saying about the <!--tempUnit-->.  You want to take that tag totally out and in its place put the &deg;F.  For example, your High Temperature line would look something like this: High Temperature <!--hiMonthlyOutsideTemp-->&deg;F.

What I think is happening is that the degree symbol is being turned into a UniCode character or something by WeatherLink, and some browsers do not recognize it.  When I look at the page, I also see the ? instead of the degree symbol.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:55:28 PM by jruys »

Offline texspot92

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »
jruys,
You are BRILLIANT!!!  That did it, and my site looks like it should now.  Thank you so much for that fix! Thanks for all the speedy replies to everyone!

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 01:51:39 AM »
I had that problem as well. I believe I cured it by declaring a "charset" in the htx file.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

anything