Author Topic: Oklahoma Rep Calls For Moratorium on Wells Where Quakes Are  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Legislator Calls for Moratorium on Oil/Gas Disposal Wells

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Capitol: (405) 557-7411
Legislator Calls for Moratorium on Oil/Gas Disposal Wells
In ‘Areas of Interest’ Where ‘Quakes Are Occurring

OKLAHOMA CITY – State Rep. Cory Williams, D-Stillwater, called Tuesday for a moratorium on oil and gas wastewater disposal wells in the 16 counties the Oklahoma Corporation Commission has identified as “areas of interest” because of earthquake activity.

State Seismologist Austin Holland of the Oklahoma Geological Survey (OGS) announced Monday that saltwater disposal wells quite likely triggered most of the earthquakes that have occurred in central and northern Oklahoma over the past two and a half years.

“Based on observed seismicity rates and geographical trends following major oil and gas plays with large amounts of produced water, the rates and trends in seismicity are very unlikely to represent a naturally occurring process,” the OGS wrote in a statement issued Tuesday.[http://wichita.ogs.ou.edu/…/OGS_Stat...s-4-21-… ]

The Corporation Commission, which regulates the oil and gas industry, Gov. Mary Fallin and major oil producers in Oklahoma “have consistently said they would re-evaluate this issue if scientific evidence demonstrated that there was a connection between disposal wells and earthquakes,” Williams said. “Well, the science on induced seismicity is in. It’s time to take swift action to protect the lives and property of this state’s citizens.”

Approximately 4,500 Class II wastewater disposal wells have been drilled in this state, and about 3,200 of them “are injecting at any given time,” Corporation Commission spokesman Matt Skinner said Tuesday.

Initially the commission zeroed in on saltwater disposal wells in eight counties where earthquakes have occurred at a high frequency: Alfalfa, Garfield, Noble, Payne, Lincoln, Oklahoma, and especially Grant and Logan counties.

Since that time the commission has extended its focus to eight other counties, too: Woodward, Pawnee, Seminole, Garvin, Stephens, Love, Carter and Marshall. [http://www.occeweb.com/…/03-25-15%20...20-%20…]
The number of disposal wells in those 16 counties totals “more than 1,000,” Skinner said.

The seismicity rate in Oklahoma in 2013 was 70 times greater “than the background seismicity rate observed in Oklahoma prior to 2008,” the OGS wrote in its report. “While unlikely, this rate could have been potentially explained by natural variations in earthquake rates from naturally occurring swarms.” Now, though, the seismicity rate is “about 600 times greater than the background seismicity rate and is very unlikely the result of a natural process,” the OGS reported.

Historically the Oklahoma Geological Survey recorded on average about 1½ earthquakes each year in Oklahoma that were gauged at Magnitude-3 or greater. In 2013 the OGS logged on average about two Magnitude-3+ earthquakes each week and this rate continued to rise during 2014, to a year-end total of 580 Magnitude-3+, or almost 1.6 per day, according to the OGS. “Currently the OGS is reporting on average about 2½ M3+ earthquakes each day,” the agency said.

The Oklahoma Geological Survey deems it “very likely” that the majority of recent earthquakes, particularly those in central and north-central Oklahoma, “are triggered by the injection of produced water in disposal wells.” The primary suspected source of triggered seismicity “is not from hydraulic fracturing, but from the injection/disposal of water associated with oil and gas production,” the OGS added.

The Corporation Commission’s Oil and Gas Conservation Division (OGCD) issued directives last month to disposal well operators that are injecting into the Arbuckle formation in the “areas of interest” in the 16 affected counties. Those operators were given a deadline of April 18 to prove to the OGCD that their disposal wells were not extending below the Arbuckle formation. The Arbuckle is “the favorite disposal zone” for oil and gas producers – approximately 900 disposal wells inject into the Arbuckle – and lays just above “basement” rock, Skinner said.

“There is broad agreement among seismologists that injecting below the Arbuckle poses a potential risk of causing earthquakes, as it puts the well in communication with the solid ‘basement’ rock,” the commission wrote in a media advisory last month.

Seven disposal wells injecting into the Arbuckle “have been identified as too deep and will have to be plugged back,” Skinner said Tuesday. Any operators who cannot show that their disposal wells do not extend below the Arbuckle and who don’t have an approved well-plugging plan will be required to reduce their disposal volumes by 50%, the Corporation Commission has mandated.

“There will no doubt be more steps to take, and all options available to the Commission are on the table,” the agency claims on its website. “There is no issue that has a higher priority for this agency, and the continuing work and commitment of OGS is central to this effort,” the OCC concluded.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Geological Survey recently issued a preliminary Oklahoma seismic hazard map for 2015 that includes a colored zone that identifies 10 counties in central and north central Oklahoma that have experienced a high frequency of M-3+ earthquakes since 2010. The final version of that map will be issued in coming months.

The seismic hazard map is a guide that’s utilized by mortgage and homeowners insurance companies to establish insurance rates based on earthquake risk; by home loan lenders; and to establish building codes.

“There is no greater action this Legislature or the Corporation Commission could take to preserve lives and property than a moratorium on injection wells in the 16-county area,” Williams said. “Failure to act is tantamount to complicity.”

MIKE W. RAY
Media Director, Democratic Caucus
Oklahoma House of Representatives
(405) 962-7819 office

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
Re: Oklahoma Rep Calls For Moratorium on Wells Where Quakes Are
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:25:36 AM »
I wonder how long it would take for the  quakes to stop after the wells are shut down.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:50:55 PM »
I found this story today:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102605561
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »
So just where are you going to put the nasty salt water produced by the well if you can't put it back where it came from?

At least the article mentioned this isn't about fracking, but I wonder how many will notice.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »

IF, they are shut down.

Obviously, because here on both sides of the aisle the lawmakers are bought and paid for by oil/gas companies.  State office and Federal.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »
So just where are you going to put the nasty salt water produced by the well if you can't put it back where it came from?

At least the article mentioned this isn't about fracking, but I wonder how many will notice.

No one will because this country now has a population base who wants their information spoon-fed to them, as opposed to actually doing some research themselves.  The media doesn't make it any better, on either side of the spectrum.  I listen to NPR because that's about as neutral as I can get from news.  And watch local news because it typically has very little bias.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:28:50 PM »

What they should do, and I don't know if this is feasible, is build some kind of water purification plant where all the companies drilling would send the saltwater. Again if feasible, the final product could be used for irrigation if not potable.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 08:46:32 PM »

What they should do, and I don't know if this is feasible, is build some kind of water purification plant where all the companies drilling would send the saltwater. Again if feasible, the final product could be used for irrigation if not potable.

Yep.  I was thinking about how bad CA needs water.  There ought to be a way.........
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »

IF, they are shut down.

Obviously, because here on both sides of the aisle the lawmakers are bought and paid for by oil/gas companies.  State office and Federal.

For instance, since 2004 Rep. Lee Denney has taken at least $18,000 from oil industry concerns.   And so she would vote in favor of the bill that doesn't allow state cities to ban fracking or drilling.  Interestingly enough, Denney is from Cushing where the famous oil tank farm is located.  Just to the southwest of there is a fault line.  Last year, oil companies had been drilling in the area and supposedly set off a 4.3 quake.  I haven't  heard how strong of a quake those huge oil tanks can withstand.  What a big mess that will be to clean up, if they can't stand the next big quake.  In view of all the crazy governing going on around here, at least I can be thankful that my state rep as well as state senator voted against those bills that don't allow local bans on oil and gas drilling.

The state of New York recently decided to temporarily ban fracking due to potential health concerns.  So the concern isn't only about earthquakes.

http://stillwaterweather.com/okareaearthquakes.php#Recent

http://www.reddirtreport.com/red-dirt-news/stillwater-council-looking-regulating-drilling-activity-fallin-launches-earthquake

http://www.okiefunk.com/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:17:26 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »

Yep.  I was thinking about how bad CA needs water.  There ought to be a way.........
[/quote]

It would easier to desalinate ocean water, which would help California's problem.  Unfortunately that's energy-intensive and costly.  Catch-22.

Nuclear would be a huge help.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »
An interesting part below of this story:  http://eaglefordtexas.com/news/id/150879/is-fracking-moratorium-the-solution-for-quakes-in-texas-oklahoma/

“They moved very swiftly on this when there were earthquake swarms. When we talk to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission here on this, they say they don’t have the authority,” Holcomb said of the state’s oil and gas regulator.

He added, “The oil industry is in every level of government, and fracking has just given them obscene levels of wealth and they buy political power with it.”

Although this week’s studies were significant, Holcomb said, “I don’t see where it’s angered people enough to where they want to take action. It may take a massive 7.0 earthquake for people to realize something has to change, a widespread earthquake causing catastrophic damage.”

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 03:43:55 AM »
Although this week’s studies were significant, Holcomb said, “I don’t see where it’s angered people enough to where they want to take action. It may take a massive 7.0 earthquake for people to realize something has to change, a widespread earthquake causing catastrophic damage.”

That sounds about right.   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »

Especially since Oklahoma typically has some of the least expensive gasoline in the country.  Who knows what would happen if we were to put a moratorium on wastewater injection?   #-o
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 03:57:52 PM »
Especially since Oklahoma typically has some of the least expensive gasoline in the country.  Who knows what would happen if we were to put a moratorium on wastewater injection?   #-o

It's the old yin/yang thing again.  Or robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »

Like the saying goes, if the problem affects someone else, it's not a crisis but, if the problem affects me, then it is a crisis.

Unfortunately, it will take a big event for people to wake up and do something about it but, by then, it will be too late.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 01:58:33 PM »
It looks like a leader of Stop Fracking Payne County is giving Gov. Fallin the evil eye.  Maybe it reflects that Enid has been close enough to the earthquakes to feel them.
State coalition wants well moratorium in earthquake areas - Enidnews.com: News

Oklahoma coalition wants well moratorium in earthquake areas | News OK

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
At least the state of New York knows how to place a moratorium on fracking.

Stillwater News Press's response to the above:

OUR VIEW: Give state's directives time
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 9:00 am

Monday, a coalition of environmentalists and activists presented a petition with 1,500 signatures on it to Gov. Mary Fallin asking her to place a moratorium on the use of high-volume, high pressure disposal wells in 16 counties which have experienced an increase in earthquake activity in the past few years.

Last month, Oklahoma geologists determined the disposal wells were the likely cause of a swarm of earthquakes in those counties, which includes Payne County.

The petitions ask Fallin to do something she cannot. The governor doesn't have the authority to order a moratorium, and neither does the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, which regulates the oil and gas industry.
The Corporation Commission has moved forward with the options it has.

It has issued directives that significantly changed how wastewater disposal wells operate, and may reduce their potential to trigger earthquakes. More than 50 disposal wells have shut down operations and reduced total depth. Another 150 have reduced wastewater volumes by 50 percent. Other wells are keeping volumes below 1,000 barrels a day.

It's a start, but it's too early to know whether they will have an impact on earthquake frequency and magnitude. If it doesn't mitigate the earthquakes, the Corporation Commission will issue more directives until the earthquake swarms stop.
Many Americans still believe in the free enterprise – an economic system where few governmental restrictions are placed on business and industrial activities.

It's a system that aims for limited trade restrictions and minimum government interaction.  Free enterprise has been America's business and industrial model since the 1700s. It's worked remarkably well.

Yes, the federal government has instituted some restrictions. For example, it has restrictions to protect the environment or requires extensive testing before new drugs reach the market. Some states regulate the food industry through the use of directives.
Oklahoma government doesn't have the authority to place a moratorium on waste disposal wells.

Environmentalists and activists need to give the Corporation Commission and the energy sector time to find a balance between the disposal of wastewater generated by Oklahoma's oil and natural gas industry.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 09:32:23 PM »
Response from Earl Hatley, member of Stop Fracking Payne County to the above editorial:

These people operate in the shadow of OK State University and yet their journalism is on a level with a high school news letter staff. They don't bother to research their subject at all. They just shoot from the lip with facts based on thoughts in their head to justify how they want the reader to think. Nothing they have said in the editorial about state and federal authority is true. A political science major could have straightened this out for them. The Chief Executive of our state certainly can, through Executive Order issue a temporary moratorium. The state has primacy over the federal laws governing the ones overseeing the operations of these corporations involved and then there are the state laws.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »

The only way that would work is to send the crude and the water west so the desal plants would have the energy to clean the water. Not sure what we would do with the waste from the desal...

:?
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 01:24:23 PM »
There have been over a dozen earthquakes centered to the west of Perry, OK for the last week, peaking out at 4.1 in magnitude. In other words, well out in the middle of nowhere. But can you imagine the uproar going on if those quakes would only center under the middle of Oklahoma City? The TV media would sensationalize the situation from showing damages. And the State Capitol, with the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, would just be a short drive away for hordes of irate citizens.  Since the earthquakes have mostly been centered where the coyotes and cottontail rabbits well outnumber the people, I think that explains more than anything else why not more is being done about stopping earthquakes in Oklahoma.

Last week a 3.2 earthquake centered only several miles to the northeast of me.  Even at that low of magnitude, when they get that close, they make a rather startling impression.   I can't imagine the million people in Oklahoma County putting up with that nearly every day, if it was happening to them, without demanding immediate action.  Fortunately, earthquakes here are still usually staying centered far enough away not to be often felt.  But one every once in a while is bad enough.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:30:16 PM by Bunty »