Author Topic: IDE  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
IDE
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »
Hi,

I would just like to get some advice from those of you that also do some programming in PHP etc.

Basically Ive been using Notepad++ and I am absolutely satisfied with it, I love its functions and the ability to directly use it as FTP as well.
There is however one thing that it is missing and that is debugging.

I therefore installed NetBeans and that actually was even better obviously than notepad++, allowed versioning, debugging and many other functions and it is even free. Basically I liked everything about it and I would love to use it, however there is just one problem, which makes it basically unusable for me...

The problem is I dont have a PC and I only have a laptop. My laptop is now 9 yrs old and so you can probably imagine it is not the fastest  :grin: It works fine (except for the battery, which lasts like 10 seconds :D), but lot changed since 2006 when I bought it and now it is not enough for even surfing the web. And here is the problem... as I said, I even have problems when running Chrome with 2-3 tabs and in parallel notepad... and the problem is NetBeans takes a lot of RAM and basically after I start it (which takes about half a minute...) it crashes or my computer freezes completely within a few minutes.

I am therefore looking for an alternative, ideally something that would be capable of checking PHP code, HTML, CSS etc., would be free to use and ideally possible to run on my laptop under win XP.

My hardware:
Win XP
1.5 GHz single core processor
1 GB RAM (unfortunately I bought it with 512MB and upgraded to 2x512, but that is the maximum it supports, so further upgrade is not possible)
60GB HDD

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: IDE
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
First, it's nearing time to upgrade machines.
Second, get 'xampp' https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html
Third, something similar to http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php
and/or you can easily work with responsive (if you choose)
Yep, there are freebies out there... and you certainly have the experience and background to use them. But I'm lazy, brain dead, and my learning curve is about as steep as the Matterhorn... .  ...hell I can barely handle HTML... .

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:04 AM »
Hi,
thanks for reply.
I do use XAMPP already for Apache and MySQL.
The link you send looks quite interesting except it isnt free... which means I can only use it for 21 days  :sad:

I know my PC is far below what is todays standard, but unfortunately I cant afford to upgrade right now, plus even if I could I would be highly tempted if I buy a new PC or a weather station :D My dream is to own a Davis Pro2 Plus one day, right now I have 4 yrs old WH1080 which I bought for 80 dollars, but it isnt ideal, I know it is not as accurate as I would like it to be and also has no solar etc.

I know about other softwares like PHP Storm for example, which is another alternative to NetBeans or your suggested soft, but only NetBeans is free. Reading reviews about NetBeans, the only disadvantage really is the HW requirements, which in my case is a major issue so I am looking for an alternative, something less bulky, that would just check the code for errors in HTML, CSS, PHP etc. I dont need the other functions and I can still use Notepad++ for the rest.

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:24 AM »
I use Microsoft's Visual Studio, Wonderful IDE for software development. I'm not using it for web page development but I think it has support for HTML and PHP.
Look for the "2013 community edition", its free and pretty recent.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »
Hi Josiah,

also thank you for your reply, I do now VS, but...
Supported operating systems: Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Server 2012, Server 2008
So it wont even let me install it. Ive tried installing Win 7 on my laptop, but it was absolutely impossible to use, the mouse was lagging even when nothing was opened... and it wont even let me install it on XP, plus I do not fulfill HW requirements :(

I really am looking for just some very simple program that would check PHP, HTML and CSS. It is of course possible that there is no such alternative, in which case too bad for me, but I just thought if some of you knew about something.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:59 AM »
PM or Email Ken at SaratogaWx... He might have great alternatives! 

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »
Didn't read through the entire list but this might give you some ideas.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »
Thanks, really useful list.

I guess however, I will just have to save that list somewhere for future reference.... I tried some of it and it really is a problem to run anything... Chrome takes about 200M per tab and plus running XAMPP and basically everything except very simple programs like Notepad is just slow and it freezes after while. I will just have to deal with the fact my computer is a "grandpa that cant learn new tricks" :D

Either way thanks a lot.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »
200 M per tab, yikes.
Have you ever thought about trying a different web browser?
Right now I'm using Firefox and Maxthon for my browsing and they both work pretty good.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:03:40 PM »
Hey,
well depends what you do actually. 100M is I think the core files, so first tab would be total of 200M, then next one another 100M. But then remember Windows takes something too and it doesnt really matter anyway, because NetBeans after start takes 500M and it increases.

I tried FF too, but it was basically the exact same thing.

Its ok, it is absolutely ok to work with what I have right now, Notepad++ is fine, I just thought if there was something, but if not, it doesnt matter.

Just means you guys will then have to help me with testing, because it is more likely there will be thousands of bugs :D

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
I just opened 5 tabs looked at all my chrome processes running 700K ram. Its a hog for sure but I like it. It uses a lot more than benchmark test show in reviews.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
The reason I like Chrome is that I use Google in general for everything - I use gmail where I have all my mail from personal, work, website etc. accounts redirected, I use google calendar, I use google disk, google docs etc. It is ideal for me this way, because I have everything synchronized when I work at home on my laptop, when I am at work or when I connect from my Android phone. And what I really like about Chrome is that if you are logged in, you have your history, URL autocomplete etc. available everywhere.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:34:54 PM »
I just downloaded the 64 bit version chrome and opened 5 tabs its only using 350K.
Randy

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »
There are a number on online code editors for all kinds of languages, and many of them are free - perhaps one of those would be suitable?

Eric

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 12:56:01 PM »
I tried some, but again, the more sophisticated the app, the higher demands on memory. For example I know that my computer crashes when I try opening Spotify at home :D It is in flash and probably quite demanding on HW resources and same sometimes happens with Google Docs. Browser is not really an issue, I tried many, because I have several installed so that I can test while programming (Chrome, FF, IE, Maxthon, Opera, Nitro) - the only one I cant test is Safari :D Im a "Google/Android fan" so Apple is not really my "friend" and I dont even have access to a Mac :D

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »
It's about 1 year old, but Sitepoint did consult developers for the best PHP IDE.

Personally, I use Dreamweaver (CS6) and have since the V2.0 under Macromedia.  Notepad++ is my basic text editor (like you) and the plugins make it easy to do stuff with MIME encoding/JSON decode etc.

I've tried both PHPStorm and RapidPHP -- both are good, but I'm an old guy, and Dreamweaver still meets all my needs (and then some).

Having a resource-constrained laptop for development will limit your choices to run modern='resource hog' packages, I fear.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »
Hi Ken,
well I guess Dreamweaver would be together with netBeans the best option... meanwhile however also the most demanding and expensive option :D

I think I will just continue using Notepad++ for coding and assume that if it does what I want it to do, its ok :D Plus I guess once I make another script, there will be ppl reporting bugs that I will then fix.

Thanks again for the tips.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 04:47:05 PM »
On a rabbit trail here and its kinda unrelated, but one thought would be to run CCleaner on your system to cleanup the registry and temp files (among other things). It might help your system run just a little bit better.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »
LOL... dont worry I know CCleaner quite well since I have been cooperating with the developer and doing voluntary translations of this software since about 2008 :D

Though I must say one must be very careful with these "cleaners". I usually use it especially to admin startup programs, uninstall software and remove temporary files.

Still, it doesnt add you RAM :)

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
LOL, I had noooo idea you were that involved with it.
Great program BTW.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
But you have to be very careful, as I said, I only use it for startup management, uninstall and temp cleaning. Cleaning the registry usually does more harm than good, plus deleting like 100 entries out of several tens of thousands makes absolutely no difference...

Off topic.... We have just had a squall line passing us and I measured the highest wind gust ever since the beginning of my measurements :)