Author Topic: HAM Club meeting and Blitzortung  (Read 4351 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
HAM Club meeting and Blitzortung
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
 Earlier in the year I had committed to get a Blitzortung station built and to have Komoka, Ontario join as part of the network, and during that process in June I attended the London Amateur Radio Club’s (LARC) International Museums Weekend Event that they were having in Komoka, just down the street from my house, to hopefully learn a bit about radio signals, aerials, noise, interference, etc.  The (www.larc.ca) Club members at the Museum event were extremely helpful as I ecstatically talked about my weather station, my website, and my expected Blitzortung network station.  Due to circumstances station 1076 has been shelved.   Now, a few months later LARC contacted me and asked if I would be willing to attend one of their Club meetings as a guest speaker to talk to them about my station and site.  I agreed and will be attending their February meeting.
Now my questions is to the good folks here on what I should talk about to such an audience.  I can handle much of what is related to my Davis VP2 and my B-L Sunrecorder, and my trials and tribulations in getting and operating a weather website, etc.  However my knowledge on lightning detection and Blitzortung is still very limited.  Any suggestions on what and how I can make that a productive session for HAM enthusiasts?  What material, if any, should I bring?  Anything else?
My contact at LARC said that he could put me in touch with a couple of members of their Club to help with constructing the lightning detector if I wanted and I will have to think about this.  Maybe this will be an opportunity to promote Blitzortung in Southwestern Ontario?
Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: HAM Club meeting and Blitzortung
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
Two suggestions come to mind, but some of the Hams here probably have a better idea about the first. Don W3DRM has been active in this area and he might have some ideas.

Something that might appeal to Hams, is the fact that lightning is in the LF band. Some interest and similarities with the LF band interest might exist.

Also, over a year ago Tobi put together a really nice presentation at the SevereWeatherCongress 2013. A lot of us (self included) contributed photos of our stations. This was a well-received presentation. You will need to get Tobi's permission (probably Egon as well) in order to use any of it. He specifically asked that it not be published, but since time has elapsed it might be possible. Search the internal forum for RE: SevereWeatherCongress 2013 in Hamburg: Send us your pictures.

It is in German, so it would need to be translated.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
Paul,

I would suggest keeping it very simple and not to get too deep into theory and other complex lightning information.

I am also trying to develop a simple Blitzortung presentation for the hams in my area but have not had the time to do much with it. However, I would suggest putting together a powerpoint presentation with images of some of the screen shots and well as various installations. If possible, a live demonstration would be the ideal but, February is probably one of the poorest times of the year to watch live lightning being captured on the Blitzortung network. In other words, it's not going to be very exciting or "mesmerizing" watching a stroke every ten minutes or so. I wish I had captured some screen video of the activity we had this past summer so it could be used for such a purpose. Perhaps someone has captured live lightning activity on their computers. If so, it would be great for them to make it available to those of us who are trying to develop a BO presentation.

There are images of the printed circuit cards and components that make up the RED system already available on the web both in this forum and on the Blitzortung forum. Just contact the poster of those images and ask permission to use them in your presentation. As an example, Don Froula has posted quite a few images of his boards so I would start there. Here is a sample link to one of his series of images for his RED controller board.
Don hasn't been active for a long time due to illness so I don't know whether you will be able to make contact with him. There are a few others on this forum who have his personal contact information so they may be able give you a hand.

Keep us informed on your project and I'll do the same. I willing to share anything I put together so all of us can benefit from this endeavor.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
Thanks Greg.  I looked at the post and there are some good pictures there.  Once I have an idea of what/how I want to start the presentation I will contact Tobi.  I do have some pictures of my near assembled station and antenna that I could also use.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:05:15 PM »
Keep us informed on your project and I'll do the same. I willing to share anything I put together so all of us can benefit from this endeavor.
Thanks Don.  From the work that you have already done and shared with fellow users such as the "how-to" I expect there will be much more I will borrow from you than what I can provide :oops: 

Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »
Thanks Don.  From the work that you have already done and shared with fellow users such as the "how-to" I expect there will be much more I will borrow from you than what I can provide :oops: 

Paul

Paul,

Anything I have put together, is fully available to anyone who has an interest and may be used in anyway they deem fit providing it is used to support the overall Blitzortung effort. This is, after-all, a community hobby networked environment. That of course only includes my documents and does not include anything that has come from the Blitzortung team itself. I cannot speak for them.

Let me know if you would like access to the MS Word document files that the PDF files were made from. That will allow you to grab whatever pieces you may need.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:25:33 PM »
Hi Don,
They haven't yet set a date for their February meeting but would appreciate receiving the information you have assembled as that will help me get prepared.  PM or email attachment whichever is most convenient.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 12:58:58 AM »
Hi Don,
They haven't yet set a date for their February meeting but would appreciate receiving the information you have assembled as that will help me get prepared.  PM or email attachment whichever is most convenient.

Thanks,
Paul

Sent you an email. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Don

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:48:00 AM »
Hi Paul,

We had a constructors evening presentations at one of our regular club meets, each presenter had 10 minutes, I gave mine on the Blitzortung and have attached the Powerpoint (it was just a brief overview and the slides prompted me, rather than having slide notes). The subject was of great interest to the members as the technology and the subject fascinate, plus it has a direct effect on radio hams.

Two things I should have done :
I should have researched http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistler_(radio), as this derives from lightning and a question was asked, the other thing I missed out on was giving a handout (high level overview with contact details and web addresses etc), I know it sounds cheesey, but the guy before me did and it was very well received.

Good luck

Ian
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:13:08 AM by redpis »
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:45:41 AM »
Thank you Don, I did receive the email and PP attachment.  And also thanks to Ian for your attachment, and for the Whistler (radio) link.  I am starting to gather information that will certainly help me for the presentation.
These PP presentations are very well done and are certainly helping me to understand Blitzortung better.
Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »
I think I am as ready as can be - at least I am on the agenda for Thursday http://www.larc.ca/

Thanks Don and Ian for forwarding the information on Blitzortung.

Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
Best of luck with your talk, I hope that it goes well.

Greg H.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »
I think I am as ready as can be - at least I am on the agenda for Thursday http://www.larc.ca/

Thanks Don and Ian for forwarding the information on Blitzortung.

Paul

Paul, this is great! Best of luck with the presentation. If available, could we get a copy of your presentation file?

Thanks & 73's

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
I finally stopped writing/pasting at 98 PP slides, plus have the 2 Blitzortung files that Don and Ian provided.  I need to trim it a bit and will post the final version after Thursday.  I hadn't used PP for many years and forgot how easy it is to add in screen shot images :o

Paul

Offline hans

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »

hi Paul,

i think you made already your presentation.
how was it ?

kind regards
hans
oe1smc

--

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 04:13:45 PM »
Hi Hans, and thanks for asking.

Yes it was about 10 days ago, and just when we had a snow storm come through our area early that evening.  The presentation went very well, and I got home safe and sound.

From feedback with about 35 members in attendance it was well received.  I had the two BO PP slide files that were passed on to me but most of the presentation was on how I started with the hobby, my equipment (a few pictures of my phantom BO #1076), resources I use, and how I operate my weather station and website - and the great support from forum members.  Surprised how many members actually visited my site for local weather information.  And also that there is quite a bit of overlap with weather station and HAM hobbies.

And a member came up to me willing to offer help in assembling and testing if I wanted to try again with a new BO station.  Not sure if I want to start new again - still half expecting #1076 to materialize.

The PP file is about 14GB and not sure what is the best method to make it available.
Don W3DRM, did you see my email?

Paul
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:16:16 PM by PaulMy »

Offline hans

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
hi Paul,

congratulation.
i am also a ham operator. and i had several talks and presentations in many different club meetings. and i have to say these om's ( = ham operators ) are not an easy auditorium. ( me included :-) )  it's because amateur-radio has so many facets and everybody has different interests. but if you have a good talk and a good presentation you have your listeners.
yes, and of course there are connection points between weather station and HAM hobbies.

did you upload your PP anywhere ?

kind regards
hans
oe1smc

--

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
Hi Hans, no I haven't yet as the file is over 14GB and wasn't sure what is the best way to make it available to anyone interested.

Paul

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
Hi Hans, no I haven't yet as the file is over 14GB and wasn't sure what is the best way to make it available to anyone interested.

Paul
14GB is humongous... that takes 4 DVD's !  Whew!
http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Powerpoint-File-Size   Don't know how that will work for you....

Offline n2qew

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »
I'm betting it's a typo. 14 MB, while large, is more like it.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »
 :oops: :oops: as I did it twice #-o

ok, actually 14.5 mb

Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather