Author Topic: Diodes?  (Read 658 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Diodes?
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:14 PM »
Alert, Alert.

I'm plugging away on the controller board, and honest to gosh, even though it's 5 pm somewhere, haven't turned to any beer or Cutty Sark, and have run into a problem.  After getting the little diodes in place, and having almost no components left to confuse, find I have ONE 1N5818 and FIVE 1N5819.

The spec sheets I find on line indicate they are in the same family, with very slightly different specs, basically in forward voltage drop.

I assume that I use these 19s in place of the 'missing' 18s?  But, this would be so much work to undo if I am in error or the parts were shipped to me in error that am stopping here to do other things until someone who is a guru can say that these are interchangable and it is OK to use these interchangeably.  I can only image the damage to to board and traces trying to get these out and new correct ones in if it isn't OK to proceed. 

I have the original doc from Blitz itself that I printed out when the kit arrived, and it says 18s.  I have the other step by step (I'll look up the good gentleman's name and use it as the authorship when I get a chance, but it has been a bible so far, so I trust it now) saying that it is 18s I'm putting in.

Help with resolving.  I was hoping to test the setup later if I could but am on hold for the time being.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Diodes?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
Yeah, I'd go ahead and use them... I think they're all used in the contrast supply ckt for the LCD... I personally wouldn't hesitate.
May have run short of 18's and substituted next higher rating...
19s have a higher PIV is about all... no big deal.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:27:50 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything