Author Topic: What now? WS-2812U-IT to the Internet  (Read 3757 times)

Offline WVZR-1

What now? WS-2812U-IT to the Internet
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
I would certainly enjoy a "premium" weather station and I will likely have one but I thought I should first maybe get a basic unit connected before moving on. I understand that the La Crosse product isn't maybe the most "friendly" and if I could conquer publishing this product maybe the next effort might be more enjoyable.

My ISP Comcast no longer provides personal "web-space' so I have "NONE" presently. I realize from brief research it seems maybe La Crosse "Heavy Weather" won't publish directly so I need to get a grip on that also. I'm not probably what you would consider a computer wizard either. Can I follow directions? I like to think so. Let's assume I'm interested in getting my station published on WU and PWS maybe so I'd like to address them in maybe that order if there are differences.

Web-space? Sources, prices and ease of use with price and ease of use maybe important.

Software? Needs to be quite user friendly unless someone is interested in "holding my hand".

Is there a WXForum member that might be interested in setting it up and just passing it on to me? What information would be needed to accomplish something like this?

The WS-2812 was set up "in doors" to confirm communication of all sensor and the Thermo-Hygro
Sensor has been moved out of doors and everything seems to communicate well. I've got it presently connected to an XP machine with the USB Transceiver .

What's next?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:06:19 PM by WVZR-1 »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: What now? WS-2812U-IT to the Internet
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »
I am not a La Crosse user but WUHU and Cumulus should both do what you want to do.

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus

both donation ware you can try them for free as long as you need to.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
I'd simply start out by sending your data to Weather Underground. It's pretty simple to do, but the thorn in my side was finding the currdat.lst file. It can be tough to locate but once you have it, no real issue should follow. If you do not have a Weather Underground account it's simple to set up as well. Well, at least it is to me since I've set up a couple in my time on the net.

If you need assistance I'd be glad to help.

Don in Ohio

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
So I've got a station ID and when I go to this page I see no "software" that was mentioned would or should work in the "right side" choices.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/mypws

See the second topic: What are the instructions for my specific PWS?

If that link only works from my PC because it sees my IP addy or it has set a "cookie" or whatever my station ID is:

KWVCHARL16

It looks like maybe "Weather Display" would/should but I see the $70 "greeting" - I was hoping to avoid the expense. I'm still poking around but I don't see a should/would work simple choice!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:36:50 PM by WVZR-1 »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »
My WS-2810 uploads to WU, PWS, CWOP, and Aweakas using WUHU as member Beaudog pointed out. I'm running Windows XP on a laptop 24/7. The data also goes to my website.  This weather station is very similar to your WS-2812 and sets up the same.

edit: The section of the WUHU screen where you setup your uploads is shown in the attachment.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:09:37 PM by DanS »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
The list you see on the WU is by no means all of the software programs and is data provided by the software writers themselves.   If I were the developer of a program I would not put information there I would expect the user to read the instructions that I wrote.

WUHU will do what you want to do If you had downloaded this morning and read the instructions you would probably already be sending data to wu.

I withdraw my recommendation for Cumulus as it seems what it takes to make it work is very cumbersome and probably not worth the effort

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Well I did the WUHU program but don't have the slightest idea if what I've done is correct but in the setup aspect I believe I correctly ID'd my station and password in the WU tab. I see notes in the WU information that it may take a day or more for the servers to add me to the published information. Does that seem correct? All of the information in the WUHU Uploader seems correct and all fields are filled. Do I just wait now?

I appreciate the help - the setup "IF IT WORKS" seems much simpler than maybe the instructions mentioned. I just have both programs running and when I started the WUHU the information seemed to populate from the Heavy Weather program.

We'll see - LOL

Hey "Beaudog" - seems you've pointed me to the "right stuff" Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:13:50 PM by WVZR-1 »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
Congrats WVZR-1 it is working! However, something I noticed about the wind. Your direction is recording the current direction, but according to the records there has been no speed at all. You might want to check that issue out.

Don in Ohio

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »
I noticed that his morning also but when I checked all of the nearby stations were also 0.   But it looks like now the others are showing wind.     I found this.

WIND SENSOR
If the connection to the wind sensor has been lost, it may be due to a lack of direct sunlight. The wind sensor relies on sunlight to keep its solar cells charged. If the sensor has not been exposed to sunlight for more than three days, this may have caused it to lose connection with the weather station. Once the wind sensor has been exposed to sunlight, either by moving it unto direct sunlight or placing it under a bright lamp, it should reconnect to the weather station. If it does not reconnect on its own, initiate the re‐learn process on the weather station (press and hold the up ^ arrow until the weather station beeps).

Also make sure  that both easy weather and WUHU are set to the same wind speed   ie  mph or km ect.

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »
Congrats WVZR-1 it is working! However, something I noticed about the wind. Your direction is recording the current direction, but according to the records there has been no speed at all. You might want to check that issue out.

Don in Ohio

I noticed that his morning also but when I checked all of the nearby stations were also 0.   But it looks like now the others are showing wind.     I found this.

WIND SENSOR
If the connection to the wind sensor has been lost, it may be due to a lack of direct sunlight. The wind sensor relies on sunlight to keep its solar cells charged. If the sensor has not been exposed to sunlight for more than three days, this may have caused it to lose connection with the weather station. Once the wind sensor has been exposed to sunlight, either by moving it unto direct sunlight or placing it under a bright lamp, it should reconnect to the weather station. If it does not reconnect on its own, initiate the re‐learn process on the weather station (press and hold the up ^ arrow until the weather station beeps).

Also make sure  that both easy weather and WUHU are set to the same wind speed   ie  mph or km ect.

I appreciate you guys checking on me and I "must confess" the wind-speed sensor is my issue. It was quite cool here and I actually haven't mounted the direction/speed sensor to a position where the speed cups are operational. It's fixed presently using a compass for direction and I'll finish the job I hope tomorrow. I was very concerned about being able to get the system to communicate and publish so I saved the mount until later. The direction is correct.

If I get a few months of service from this project I believe I've convinced myself to do an upgrade of the product. This allowed me "with help" to get it communicating and publishing. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:36:37 PM by WVZR-1 »

Offline JoesHouse

• Joe's House at the Beach
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »
I should have looked here first!
I answered your post in another thread and here you are up and running.

Congratulations   =D>
Lacrosse WS2813 - Heavy Weather Pro  WUHU :KFLFERNA7

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »
To answer the question that you ask in another forum that the guy who answered must have failed reading comprehension.

There is no way that I know of to run the 2800 series fine offset stations using third party software with out also running easy weather at the same time.   The third party software has to get the data from the easy weather history file.    As I understand it the problem is that the makers of the la crosse stations refuses to share the data stream makeup and therefore it is extremely hard to write a program that can read the data directly from the USB port.