Author Topic: Has Anyone Extended the Cables for their 2080?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Reverie

Has Anyone Extended the Cables for their 2080?
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:41 AM »
I am still experiencing periodic connectivity drops between my station and the console.  Understanding full well that to do so will render my warranty obsolete (I inadvertantly discarded the box so I'm already unable to ask for warranty work), I am considering running longer connections back to the transmitter and moving the transmitter to a more advantages location for communication with the console.  I'm skilled with wiring so I don't find the task daunting.  What I was wondering is, has anyone spliced, repaired, lengthened or even shortened the cabling on one of these units and what sort of experiences had come out of it.  In theory telephone cable being designed for low voltage, should be able to carry signal reliably over very long distances.  I have read 100 meters is not unreasonable but that sounds like it would be too long.  At any rate, I'm talking about eighty feet which is a touch under 25 meters.

Thoughts? 

Reverie

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Has Anyone Extended the Cables for their 2080?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
First off, the 100 meter number is for Cat 5 network cabling which is quite a bit different than 4 conductor flat telephone wire.

I have used an in-line coupler to add another length of flat telephone wire, but you have to be careful to weatherproof it.  You also want to make sure that the wiring on any piece you add is 'straight through' and not 'reversed'.

I'm not too sure if 80' of flat, untwisted phone wire would work out though.  If you have the wire, connectors and the crimp tool, you might be better off trying 4 or 6 conductor twisted pair.

Offline Reverie

Re: Has Anyone Extended the Cables for their 2080?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
Actually that is my intent.  The cabling coming from some of the sensors is hardwired at one end and an RJ11 at the other end.  My thinking is to go in to the hardwired end and replace it with cat 5 and terminate it at the other end with a new RJ11 connector.  I can use a partial spool of ground contact and feed it through a bunch of serviceable but used pvc conduit.  It should be a relatively easy drop and the only burial issue will be digging under the gravel path.

Reverie