Author Topic: LaCrosse Internet Gateway and temperature sensors - experiences?  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Broaddd

LaCrosse Internet Gateway and temperature sensors - experiences?
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:41:29 AM »
Hi folks,

I was interested in whether anyone uses this product and how they find it?

It seems very similar in concept to the Acurite Internet bridge. The main advantage on paper seems to be the LaCrosse Gateway is not limited to 3 physical sensors, and the main disadvantage from my point of view is that LaCrosse temperature sensors are at least US$15 (and maybe US$50? it's hard to be sure which ones are compatible) while Acurite ones are US$5. Admittedly, the LaCrosse sensors can come with 6-foot wet or dry probes - and such a sensor actually reports both the sensor and probe temperature - which might be handy.

I have read here and elsewhere that people have trouble with the laCrosse web reporting service (Weather Direct?) being unreliable (going down etc).

Anyone used one? How is it in practice?

Cheers,
B

Offline Broaddd

Re: LaCrosse Internet Gateway and temperature sensors - experiences?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »
Anybody? :)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »
I'm not sure if it's the same thing that you're after but seem to recall member wxtech using a LaCrosse Internet station some time back. He didn't seem unhappy with it from his postings.

Offline Broaddd

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »
Thanks,

Does anyone know if the la crosse website generates charts for you from the data, or can you only export it to a spreadsheet.

B

Offline asquaredancer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 02:33:20 PM »
I'm trying to set up a gateway with the c84612 wireless weather station but no luck so far. the sensors and base station are working fine in stand-alone mode but the ERF-Gateway isn't connecting to the server for some reason. I can see the status page in my browser, the advanced setup tool can see the gateway, but thats as far as it gets.

Offline tmbarta

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »
I purchased the La Crosse Alerts D111.102.E1.WGB Wireless Monitor System Set with Wet Probe and it's working great for my needs. I've attached a pic of the website. You can view a 1 day or 1 week chart, look at the last 200 readings in a table or download the data in .CSV format.

I'm using it to check the temperature of my tortoises house. I have the unit inside w/ the probe for outside temperature. I had originally purchased the Acu-Rite bridge and 2 temperature towers, but the tower would not read when it was in the tortoises house, so I tried the La Crosse.

I like the app and website for Acu-Rite better, but if the hardware doesn't work what good does it do? I actually gave the Acu-Rite to my mom to try in her greenhouse. She's having problems with it reading in her greenhouse, but we're not sure if it's too much of a distance from the bridge. She's going to buy a wireless network bridge and see if that will help. If not the Acu-Rite is going back!

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Tammie

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:10:27 PM »
I purchased the La Crosse Alerts D111.102.E1.WGB Wireless Monitor System Set with Wet Probe and it's working great for my needs. I've attached a pic of the website. You can view a 1 day or 1 week chart, look at the last 200 readings in a table or download the data in .CSV format.

I'm using it to check the temperature of my tortoises house. I have the unit inside w/ the probe for outside temperature. I had originally purchased the Acu-Rite bridge and 2 temperature towers, but the tower would not read when it was in the tortoises house, so I tried the La Crosse.

I like the app and website for Acu-Rite better, but if the hardware doesn't work what good does it do? I actually gave the Acu-Rite to my mom to try in her greenhouse. She's having problems with it reading in her greenhouse, but we're not sure if it's too much of a distance from the bridge. She's going to buy a wireless network bridge and see if that will help. If not the Acu-Rite is going back!

Tammie

Are you able to share your data across the internet or is it intended just for you requiring you to login to view it?

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 08:47:47 PM »

Tammie

Are you able to share your data across the internet or is it intended just for you requiring you to login to view it?

Well I can now answer this myself.  As cool as it looks, it is NOT intended to share openly across the Internet.  Once the account and gateway is established, the 'owner' must login to view the data.  I did notice that the gateway account that came with the station has an expiration date on it.  At that point you have to pay to continue to use the gateway.  Oh joy!

anything