Author Topic: New WS-1090  (Read 4776 times)

Offline terbeaux

• KCAPALMD21
New WS-1090
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
N00bie here. Got a WS-1090 up and running and all's well for the most part. Cumulus, WU, PWS are all playing happily together. I want to raise my anemometer to get more accurate readings but I am at the end of the 8.5' wire. Since it uses what looks like standard telco wire I was going to extend it with a longer one. Question is how long can I extend the wire without degrading the signal to the point of issues? It's not specified in the manual.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: New WS-1090
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:31:40 PM »
I would suggest you could double the length without problems
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:15:45 PM »
also watch out with the new extension cable reversing the connection! Some do and some keep it straight through.

actually I believe it's those rj-11 couplers you have to watch for reversal connections.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:57:06 PM by DanS »

Offline terbeaux

• KCAPALMD21
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:51:18 PM »
After further digging on Ambient Weather's site I found I can extend the wire up to 50'.  Woot  \:D/
Seems to apply to most of their units.

Wonder if the increased length will decrease battery life? At least it's easy to get to.

Offline bbriggs

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:36:19 AM »
I needed to raise my wind speed and direction sensors higher and further from my wireless sending unit on a WS-2080 for its final permanent mounting location. I checked out several forums and eventually used a 25 foot telephone extension cable and lopped of the female end and actually soldered it to the small integrated circuit board inside the anemometer...so it was a permanent fix.

NOTE: you will void any warranty...make sure you match the proper connections as per your original plug, so you don't fry your components. Take digital photos of all parts before you start the project.... noting the colours of the wires and their position in the new plug. Be careful since some extensions do reverse some wires.

The wind speed sensor itself can be taken apart carefully. There are step by step instructions with photos how to do this that have been posted  on the internet by those who have had to replace the bearings in this wind speed unit. 

Sorry I don't know the links since it was a year & half ago and the unit is still working.

Hope this helps, Bob.