Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139099 times)

Offline rockhopper

Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2015, 09:24:15 PM »
Okay, confirmed that "0001" as the first 4 digits triggers an error message in SkySpy. It wants "7FFF". But I was indeed able to bypass that by entering the "0001" value for the TX60U sensor directly into the INI file.

SkySpy's mini browser is accessible on the network, and if I flip the GW back and forth between talking to the LaCrosse server and SkySpy, I do get a ping message when flipping it to SkySpy. Then, about every minute, it shows an RTC packet request, a ping, an RTC packet request, and a ping. However none of the sensor readings change to a non-zero value.

So they're "talking", but I'm guessing that the data types sent by the TX60U are not matching those expected by SkySpy for the C84612 weather station.

Back to the original question: has anyone yet got this working with the TX60U-IT sensors, as in the original thread post? Or are we on new territory? Very encouraging so far.

Offline rockhopper

« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2015, 09:40:02 PM »
Spork:

Try turning off your Windows firewall entirely, just to see if communications start coming through. I was getting nothing on mine, even though SkySpy ("Weather Info Monitor") was showing up in the firewall exceptions. Then I tried just turning off the firewall entirely and bingo, I was able to get to the mini website from another computer, and my gateway was now pinging SkySpy. Neither worked until I turned off the firewall.

Will need to investigate a solution better than this all or nothing approach, but if that allows communications through then at least we've zeroed in on the issue.

Offline spork

« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2015, 10:35:08 PM »
Thanks very much for the tip rockhopper.  Skydvrz actually just got it sorted out for me.  The firewall was in fact half the problem.  I had tried turning it off yesterday - and that didn't fix it.  Skydvrz figured out that the computer was protecting the .ini file from me, SkySpy, etc.  Once that was sorted out turning off the firewall did fix it.

You're right - I'm hoping to configure my firewall to allow messages on port 8000.  Hopefully without crashing the internet.

Offline spork

« Reply #478 on: January 08, 2015, 10:40:47 PM »
OK - I just turned my firewall back on - but I made a rule to allow incoming TCP messages on port 8000.  Hopefully that will work.  But to be honest I'm not sure if I need the rule for incoming or outgoing and TCP or UDP.  I'll try things until it works.

Offline spork

« Reply #479 on: January 08, 2015, 11:00:14 PM »
Alrighty - the firewall is back on with a rule to allow incoming TCP messages on port 8000 - and SkySpy monitor is still updating.  I really appreciate all the help!

Now I'll set it up to talk to WX-Underground.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »
All:

I am going to start a new thread called SkySpy here in the LaCrosse section.  This thread is getting pretty long and has drifted quite a bit since I started SkySpy development.

See you over there!

Offline gpiveta

« Reply #481 on: September 16, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
Hello dear friends
I am new in this forum just acquire two stations this model c84612 in america and live in the Pantanal of Brazil
Excuse me for my English but ...
Would I like to help using the SkySpy and this ERF-100 gateway accompanying, ie how do the pc configuration and network and gateway, you need to be on the same network this server or not? It should set the router's ip address?
Ie like the step-by-step instructions on using some manual or about
Please if you can send email thank
gpiveta@ig.com.br

grateful
Gustavo

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #482 on: September 16, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Hello dear friends
I am new in this forum just acquire two stations this model c84612 in america and live in the Pantanal of Brazil
Would I like to help using the SkySpy and this ERF-100 gateway accompanying, ie how do the pc configuration and network and gateway, you need to be on the same network this server or not? It should set the router's ip address?
gpiveta@ig.com.br

grateful
Gustavo

Everything you need is in the SkySpy forum.  Latest version and setup guide.

Here's the link to the forum and post #100 has the latest version.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24882.0

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:34:05 PM by 10ACTony »
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline gpiveta

« Reply #483 on: September 16, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Hello dear friends
gpiveta@ig.com.br

grateful
Gustavo

Everything you need is in the SkySpy forum.  Latest version and setup guide.

Here's the link to the forum and post #100 has the latest version.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24882.0

Thank you 10ACTony

Offline PDM1964

« Reply #484 on: November 24, 2016, 07:32:50 PM »
For anyone who is still using this weather station and may be looking for alternative software.  I recently switched over to weewx with the Interceptor driver.  Spent some time working with mwall and got the clock to set etc. \:D/ As much as I have loved using SkySpy I am looking forward to running in Linux now.

https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KUTPLAIN2

Offline ddurdle

« Reply #485 on: October 13, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
Is there any way to leverage this to send different forecasts through the gateway?

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #486 on: October 19, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »
Why would you want to?  Are you trying to convince people that Alaska is warm in the winter or that Florida is cool in the summer? :lol:

The answer is yes, you could easily do that, but your weather station would be marked as low-accuracy and may disappear from public weather maps.

My own weather station is picking up roof heat and direct sun here in Florida, so it reads several degrees hotter than actual in the noon-day sun.  I get marked down for that by Weather Underground.  I have my (non-LaCrosse) weather sensors on an 8' mast, but it is still not high enough off the roof when it is >100F outside.

Offline ddurdle

« Reply #487 on: October 19, 2017, 07:28:07 PM »
Not sure if that was directed at me.

GW1000U ERF-100 is also meant for pulling weather data to populate the forecast on La Crosse displays, but La Crosse has decided to arbitrarily kill the service, which make thousands of the devices they sold for displaying weather forecasts to be completely useless before their natural-end-of-life.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #488 on: October 20, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
Sorry, you confused me with the word "forecast" and your desire to send different ones.  A forecast is a prediction of future weather. 

Your weather station records and reports current sensor readings.  The LaCrosse unit can do rudimentary forecasts but these are not reported anywhere except on the LCD display.  The raw sensor readings can be sent to various weather sites in near real-time. 

The LaCrosse "forecast" is generated by firmware in the display itself.  There is no forecast information sent from the LaCrosse web site back to your display.

There are alternatives to the LaCrosse web site.  Read backwards through the posts here and you will see links to various software packages that can post real-time weather data to Wunderground and possibly other crowd-sourced weather sites.  Wunderground uses your weather data to make forecasts, but these are only visible on their web site.  The service is free.

SkySpy connects the LaCrosse gateway module to your PC.  From there the PC software sends your weather station sensor samples to Wunderground and/or IKiteSurf.  SkySpy completely replaces the LaCrosse web site.

Unfortunately SkySpy is no longer supported (I wrote it).  There are some other software packages that may work for you.

Offline Red Dragon

• Weather Chipmunk
« Reply #489 on: November 08, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
What he is asking is the same thing I'm asking. I have a display that gets the forecast from the gateway. Weather direct gets the forecast from accuweather and sends it to my gateway to the display. Now that service is gone how can we used the gateway to send a forecast to the display? Like form accuweather or somewhere?

Offline keckec

« Reply #490 on: March 08, 2018, 03:20:22 PM »
My GW-1000U stopped working a few weeks ago. I tried the factory reset several times, but didn't help. On http://support.lacrossealertsmobile.com/articles/gateway-troubleshoot-replacement-parts Lacrosse says the gateway may stop working after several years. Yikes, that's planned obsolescence for you!

On a hunch I opened the gateway up and found a MX25L2005 flash chip inside. These have a 100,000 write-cycle endurance, and I have my gateway configured to save history every 5 minutes. This would use up the write cycles in a little over a year, and mine is about four years old. I replaced the flash chip with a Macronix MX25L2006E, did a factory reset and re-registration, and it's all working again. The part was less than $5.00 including shipping from Digikey Electronics. At that price, I'll order a couple of spares.

BY the way, the PHP code referened way earlier in this thread worked just fine for re-registration, and I have packet captures of it all if anyone is interested.

Offline timmerk

« Reply #491 on: June 17, 2022, 06:26:34 PM »
I replaced the flash chip with a Macronix MX25L2006E, did a factory reset and re-registration, and it's all working again.

keckec, thank you! I just got some replacements. Do you know which of the three SOIC8 ICs it is, along with which pin is #1? The factory burned off the numbers on mine, and I can only tell pin #1 on the bottom one:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 08:05:07 PM by timmerk »

anything